Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Wing Mirrors not folding out

28K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  dk6780 
#1 ·
Hi

I have taken delivery of my New leaf in November.

The car has done just under 1000 miles and have already got the creaking wing mirrors.

I have noticed that recently the NS wing mirror doesn't fold out when turning on ignition.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I have made a video on it

Thanks

James L

#3 ·
I haven't had any issues with my wing mirrors, that said I have set them to stay out all the time, as I mainly park on my drive way. I manually fold them in for street parking and car parks. please see the enclosed excellent video from "Lemon Leaf Tea" AKA @Schoolboy on speak ev.

I can't bear to watch it as the noise that the mirror makes going in and out goes right through me, he does mention that he was powering his dash cam through the 12 v socket and that Nissan had said that this was a problem.

#4 ·
Hi Gosport Dave,

Many thanks for the vid, my driver side is exactly the same! I'm just waiting for the part to be available from Nissan as they are out of stock.

I have since removed my dash cam and it is doing the exact same thing. But i have also noticed that when i don't pre-heat the car it is fine.

Regards

James L

#6 ·
But i have also noticed that when i don't pre-heat the car it is fine.
I think it's Nissan's bug. When starting pre-heat remotely, I also have to switch off the pre-heat remotely before starting the car. Otherwise the mirrors are not folding out, so I have to use manual switch on the door to fold them out (I think I have to press it for more than a second).

#9 ·
Drivers side sounds like my knees, i.e. creaky. As long as it works i will leave it until my first service. Along with my knocky brakes on the e pedal. Slightly annoying but as long as they work im not too arsed.

#12 ·
both my wing mirrors has been replaced so they are now creak free!

They have also done a "reset" on the wing mirrors to solve the folding out issue, but it seems to have made it worse as neither of my wing mirrors fold out now.

I wonder what this magic reset is.

#13 ·
My wing mirrors were working perfectly until i went in to Nissan today - where they hard wired a dealer supplied dashcam. The mirrors start to move then stop.

They come out fine when I press the button - is this what I should expect now for the privilege of having a hard wired dashcam?

Or should I go back do you reckon?

Alan

(2018 Leaf N-Connecta)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
So went back to Nissan today who checked the car over...

He came out with a print out from the 12v battery showing 70% charged - telling me that there wasn’t enough power in the 12v battery to fold out the mirrors - and that I should go home and attach a battery charger to the battery!!!!

Anyway - I said that this had only happened since the dash cam was installed - and asked him to disconnect the dashcam power supply which he did - albeit in a bit of a grump.

I locked the car - and lo and behold the mirrors folded in and out as they should.

He said to repeat the locking and start the car - sure enough - everything worked as it should again.

The battery level also showed 100% again.

He said that was how Nissan describe it should be connected - via the fuse for the 12v accessory plug.

He’s left it disconnected for now - and is contacting Nissan to get advice.

I said that I’d be wanting a refund on the dashcam supply and fitting if that was how it was going to have to be....

I await news :)

Alan

#15 ·
Interesting tale Alan, albeit very frustrating.

To be honest, I have seen other stories of mirror folding issues etc following installation of dash cams.
It shouldn’t make an issue but it clearly does and has put me off buying a cam for now.
I like to think my 12v battery gets a good daily charge with my 60 mile round commuter trip.

#16 ·
So went back to Nissan today who checked the car over...

He came out with a print out from the 12v battery showing 70% charged - telling me that there wasn’t enough power in the 12v battery to fold out the mirrors - and that I should go home and attach a battery charger to the battery!!!!

Anyway - I said that this had only happened since the dash cam was installed - and asked him to disconnect the dashcam power supply which he did - albeit in a bit of a grump.

I locked the car - and lo and behold the mirrors folded in and out as they should.

He said to repeat the locking and start the car - sure enough - everything worked as it should again.

The battery level also showed 100% again.

He said that was how Nissan describe it should be connected - via the fuse for the 12v accessory plug.

He’s left it disconnected for now - and is contacting Nissan to get advice.

I said that I’d be wanting a refund on the dashcam supply and fitting if that was how it was going to have to be....

I await news :)

Alan

That is strange as the auxiliary power supply shouldn't be live until the car is powered up. So when you lock/unlock for the mirrors to fold there shouldn't be any draw from the dash cam.
My dash cam is plugged into the 12v auxiliary rather than directly wired but effectively the same set up and has never been an issue.

#17 ·
My dash cam is wired direct into the rear of the fuse box. So far not had any issues. I also have a PowerMagic box to prevent battery drain. So far very happy with my BlackVue DR750S-2CH dual channel cameras.

I used to use them to record road layouts for Insurance companies when it was too dangerous to get out of the car at some locations and they were just perfect for it. My role has now changed and I no longer work for the motor side of Insurance companies.

#18 ·
Car went in yesterday - turns out that the fuse supply for the 12v accessory isn’t high enough (apparently that also feeds the Wong mirrors) so Nissan recommended to the dealer that they wore through the screen wash fuse - and everything works fine now.

A

#20 ·
Car went in yesterday - turns out that the fuse supply for the 12v accessory isn’t high enough (apparently that also feeds the Wong mirrors) so Nissan recommended to the dealer that they wore through the screen wash fuse - and everything works fine now.
@TheWongs Did you see this? :D

#22 ·
Yes Mine does this. Since installing a double USB/Cig lighter adapter, my left wing mirror doesnt fold out unless I press the start button without operating the brake pedal. Its is caused by the BCM not registersing correcly with the adapter in place. Its a conflict in ht electronics. The adapter has a voltage sensing device so that seems to be the issue. It works fine if nothing is plugged tin the cig lighter socket. Still this seems to be a flaw in the Nissan design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.