Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's everyone's experience been with DC fast charging last 2 months? I've started to use public DC fast charger once in a while, it is a 50kWh charger but i've never seen more than 24kWh in the car display though... Just came back from a short top up session while outside temp around 8 degrees C...

Also another thing I've noticed is the estimated time remaining is always way off... says 30mins and 50mins later just about finished.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Depends how full and how cold your battery is, the battery is better able to accept charge the emptier it is. Temperature wise there is often a lag of a few days at the start and end of a cold snap..
If it makes you feel any better I rarely get much over 23KWh ever in a 2020 ioniq so dont feel too bad about yourself

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I've not used a public charger for more than 2 or 3 months, probably longer and the local one is not working for me to check, but generally, it has varied between 34kWh & 44kWh. There is at least one Siemens unit in Scotland that will supply 39kWh but as soon as the screen reverts back to the general screensaver screen it drops to 24kWh (or thereabouts) but will ramp back up as soon as you present your card to the reader again to display the readings for your session and will keep doing this as soon as the standby screen is displayed (about 2 minutes from memory).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had tried when it was at 20% but today was from 50% and been around 8 degrees for a few days and done 20-30 miles driving today. Might try one of the nearby superchargers next time round as last year I got close to 100kWh from it during late spring...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I presume the same thing happens with CCS as Chademo, where the 50kw charge points are 125A at 400v limited. I believe the M3 runs 350V batteries so the natural limit is 350x125 or about 43kw at the best of times.

I don’t fully buy the cold limit in the car that much, sure plugging into a 150kw supercharger might limit you to 70kw if you’re really cold, but again that’s a current limit of 200A at 350V, so why would a different charger have an even lower current limit in the car? Tesla might be ultra careful but it shouldn’t be neither case on a 50kw charger.

I actually think it’s just some chargers are a bit rubbish.

As for the the car time estimate, that seemed to go wrong a years ago in mine even on superchargers when Tesla played around with the charge curves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts