Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new Leaf owner and coming up to my first winter with the car I'm looking for some advice. I've only ever really had front wheel drive vehicles and they don't struggle too much in the snow. However I have no idea how an EV handles this condition. Any advice as to how I should think about driving the car when the weather gets really icy and snowy is appreciated.

Is there any difference? Thank for your help. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Abi, I found the Leaf just fine in snow ice just drive as you would with the weather to hand and the little car goes well, I have allways been used to Land Rover or Discovery and found the Leaf to be great fun as a lot of other car are not much good in snow.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good question, I've been thinking about this too. As I travel 60 miles a day cross-country, in my previous car I had a spare set of wheels with winter tyres that were fantastic during the Winter months.

Due to changing my car twice this year, I'm finding it hard to justify the tyres this year, so am hoping it will be OK. I did read on one of the Canadian forums, that the low rolling resistance tyres and ice to not mix particularly well. This is causing me a bit of concern, especially as they put winter tyres as their number one upgrade for the Winter months.

They do go on to say that the way the Leaf delivers its power, especially in eco mode is great and highly controllable, along with the low centre of gravity of central placing of the weight.

Fingers crossed, it'll be a mild Winter :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi, i can remember being out in Leaf with loads of snow around i was the only car out and i passed a Discovery coing the other way.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Certainly looking forward to this, and was wondering about winter tyres too, although they'd hurt range a bit, I'd imagine they'd help with stickiness! The LEAF is proving very popular in Norway so I imagine any serious cold-weather issues (handling or otherwise) would be well and truly outed by now if they existed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree Paul and as you're probely aware the winter tyres are poor conparison to all year tyres as and when the weather changes her so much plus the fact our weather is not usually with us for long, the Leaf seems to cope fine overall in poor weather conditions I would keep to original standard manufacture specification tyres, keeps the Insurance companys from wriggling out of any potential claims as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Certainly looking forward to this, and was wondering about winter tyres too, although they'd hurt range a bit, I'd imagine they'd help with stickiness! The LEAF is proving very popular in Norway so I imagine any serious cold-weather issues (handling or otherwise) would be well and truly outed by now if they existed.
Yes, you really need to keep an eye out on the new labelling system as well, particularly the rolling resistance grade. When I was taking a look around the winter tyres, many of them were quite poor ratings for the rolling resistance being in the F & G ratings (A is best).

I came across THIS on my travels, and it seems the Michelin Alpin came out quite well - could be a good reference for someone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts