Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back from my 40 mile commute with only 1 mile remaining ... an driving like a nun for the last 3 miles

New to me as I have only been driving the ' stealth machine ' since April . 3000 miles on leccky but it seems i'll soon be falling short.

I've had to use the preconditioning plugged in the last two mornings ..

I guess this means winter is coming ! Gom now down to 44miles & 6-8 miles short now on the morning outward journey when its 6-8 degrees .

Any advice to stretch out the Kwh's ? especially climate which seems to have two settings , completely misted up & toilet hand dryer.

Martin

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Search for @donald 's lengthy posts on the subject :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
You can use the preheat twice before setting out, e.g. set it to heat to maybe 25C, allow 1/2 an hour (maybe a bit more if using grannybrick) to get car really nice & warm before setting out on electric. I then use recirculate on MIN aircon, and let the temp in cabin gradually reduce so not using battery to warm the cabin. Aircon goes on if I mist up! (ECO mode).

If you're really keen, it's reckoned you can wear coat & gloves & use the seat-heater to stop you freezing, as that's supposed to be more eco than cabin heating. Not ttried this myself - I just chicken out! I'd then use the ICE for a few miles, and get the cabin really hot again while doing so. Then back to leccy, let it cool gently etc.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I guess this means winter is coming ! Gom now down to 44miles & 6-8 miles short now on the morning outward journey when its 6-8 degrees .

Any advice to stretch out the Kwh's ? especially climate which seems to have two settings , completely misted up & toilet hand dryer.
My GOM is now down from 49/50 to 44/45 as well :(. Do check the tyre pressures, its colder now and the pressures will be lower so put some air in. I run mine at 39PSI and with the cold have put an extra 4PSI in to bring back up. Adds a mile or 3 to the range. Every little helps :D
alan

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Search for @donald 's lengthy posts on the subject :)
that sounds quite daunting ..:eek: i need the idiot's guide to..

You can use the preheat twice before setting out, e.g. set it to heat to maybe 25C, allow 1/2 an hour (maybe a bit more if using grannybrick) to get car really nice & warm before setting out on electric. I then use recirculate on MIN aircon, and let the temp in cabin gradually reduce so not using battery to warm the cabin. Aircon goes on if I mist up! (ECO mode).

If you're really keen, it's reckoned you can wear coat & gloves & use the seat-heater to stop you freezing, as that's supposed to be more eco than cabin heating. Not tried this myself - I just chicken out! I'd then use the ICE for a few miles, and get the cabin really hot again while doing so. Then back to leccy, let it cool gently etc.
Thanks I've tried the double precondition , though not had the climate up to 25 .

not sure about eskimo mode & gloves yet , reminds me of the guys you see on an early clear spring day out in their cabriolets trying to look like it's fun but they're freezing their monkeys .(n)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Depending on the sort of driving you do on your usual daily drive once the temperature gets down to 5 degree C and under your electric mileage could go down to anything from 26 to 45, depending on the heating setting you have.

Myself I do mainly city/town driving all the time, with heating on to pre electric car levels I got about 28 miles range, that was in the first year of ownership 2014/2015.

Last winter 2015/2016 I got around 40 mile range but that was using the eskimo method :confused: without preheating as range in one journey is not a worry and I can last about 3 days without charging, as I want to keep the Ampera fuel (electric) charges as low as possible.

When the temperatures got to below zero I would add some mild heating but range went down to 36ish, luckily last winter we only had a few days like this..:)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
My GOM is now down from 49/50 to 44/45 as well :(. Do check the tyre pressures, its colder now and the pressures will be lower so put some air in. I run mine at 39PSI and with the cold have put an extra 4PSI in to bring back up. Adds a mile or 3 to the range. Every little helps :D
alan
When it gets really cold you have no control over the battery conditioning heater which I think was designed by a woman as the cells prefer around 20C year round and it simply sucks in electrons until its warm! :eek::LOL:

The only way to extend the range in winter is to precondition twice when plugged in before you leave with a few minutes delay after the second to allow the battery to fully charge again as preconditioning takes more than the 16A charge rate.

After that if you still need heat the @donald has carefully calculated that it is more efficient to use the ICE in hold mode for a while early on in the trip as you are using the waste heat from the engine for heating the car.

You will find that it becomes an obsession!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on the sort of driving you do on your usual daily drive once the temperature gets down to 5 degree C and under your electric mileage could go down to anything from 26 to 45, depending on the heating setting you have.--
When the temperatures got to below zero I would add some mild heating but range went down to 36ish, luckily last winter we only had a few days like this..:)
The only way to extend the range in winter is to precondition twice when plugged in before you leave with a few minutes delay after the second to allow the battery to fully charge again as preconditioning takes more than the 16A charge rate.

After that if you still need heat the @donald has carefully calculated that it is more efficient to use the ICE in hold mode for a while early on in the trip as you are using the waste heat from the engine for heating the car.
You will find that it becomes an obsession!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks , a plan is forming - Pre condition Twice - ICE for first 2 miles on below 5 Deg days - keep the tyre PSI up
invest in some damart & gloves ...

i'got some big hills to get over and I've noticed the first 2-3 miles & the inclines are really eating into the range .
I also am not getting the same amount of regen back on the downy bits compared to ' summer ' .

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
One thing you'll notice about big "downy bits" is that the regen causes the inverter to heat up and you'll get a nice blast of warm air from it after a bit :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Thanks , a plan is forming - Pre condition Twice - ICE for first 2 miles on below 5 Deg days - keep the tyre PSI up
invest in some damart & gloves ...

i'got some big hills to get over and I've noticed the first 2-3 miles & the inclines are really eating into the range .
I also am not getting the same amount of regen back on the downy bits compared to ' summer ' .
Also worth noting that when the ice fires up, it builds a buffer over your battery level, which on that flat could last up to around 2 miles ;)
So 2 miles of ice, will actually clock as upto 4 miles of ice usage.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My car has gone from a battery range of 47 miles, to 47 km (29 miles) in just a few weeks, on the same journey, at the same speeds, with the same loads, the same tyres and pressures etc. The only difference is the outside temperature. Still, having managed 47 miles without ever resorting to switching off the air conditioning or being able to pre-heat, 50 miles should be quite possible during warmer days in Spring and Autumn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts