Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My car was delivered with the Winter mode setting ticked. Reading the manual I see this is to facilitate battery warming during cold days but obviously there is an energy cost to this, so I switched it off. I know we've had some cool-ish days over summer but we're some way off winter yet. I can't find any information about when this should be activated i.e. at what temperature would be considered 'winter'.

Has anyone left it switched on throughout summer or have any thoughts/info about when Winter mode should be activated? 馃槂

Registered
My car was delivered with the Winter mode setting ticked. Reading the manual I see this is to facilitate battery warming during cold days but obviously there is an energy cost to this, so I switched it off. I know we've had some cool-ish days over summer but we're some way off winter yet. I can't find any information about when this should be activated i.e. at what temperature would be considered 'winter'.

Has anyone left it switched on throughout summer or have any thoughts/info about when Winter mode should be activated? 馃槂
It'll only activate when temperatures are around -10 degrees C, so you can leave the option on if you like. ;)

John.

Registered
It'll only activate when temperatures are around -10 degrees C, so you can leave the option on if you like. ;)

John.
Is there a reason to ever switch this off? I assume that it is surely clever enough to measure the temperature before applying the heat so what would be the point of forcing it to off?

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
Is there a reason to ever switch this off? I assume that it is surely clever enough to measure the temperature before applying the heat so what would be the point of forcing it to off?
The only reason, that I can think of is this: even though it is not using a lot of power as it is not using the main heating elements, you are still running a sensor circuit 24/365, that will be drawing some energy.

My example is all the automated systems in the car such as wipers and beams. On a longish trip in a diesel Leon, disabling these two systems would generally return an average improvement of 1MPG. There are lots of if's in this non-scientific but mostly experimental testing: old systems that by now have been improved and within the rounding error, etc.

Registered
It would save some energy at the expense of a slower rapid charge.

Registered
But surely it would only charge more slowly if, as @Anaglypta says, it was -10 degrees C?
The response above assumed that you were turning it off. So yes the battery would charge slower on DC if you turned it off and it was cold enough to normally trigger the battery heating.

It activates when this option is selected when the battery temperature itself gets cold enough. I don't think they commit themselves to an actual ambient temperature in the manual as it's actually the battery temp that it responds too (my Ioniq is the same). So if ambient temps e.g. -10 bring the battery down to a given temp, it activates.

It heats the battery up so that DC charge performance (and battery performance) is improved. Batteries don't like being too cold or too hot. Presumably it uses the heat pump to do this, so some energy is used.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
The response above assumed that you were turning it off. So yes the battery would charge slower on DC if you turned it off and it was cold enough to normally trigger the battery heating.

It activates when this option is selected when the battery temperature itself gets cold enough. I don't think they commit themselves to an actual ambient temperature in the manual as it's actually the battery temp that it responds too (my Ioniq is the same). So if ambient temps e.g. -10 bring the battery down to a given temp, it activates.

It heats the battery up so that DC charge performance (and battery performance) is improved. Batteries don't like being too cold or too hot. Presumably it uses the heat pump to do this, so some energy is used.
What you say makes sense. :) So if winter mode is so beneficial to battery care and performance, and it only kicks in when really cold, why have an option to turn it off? What could be the benefit of that?

Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro

Has anyone left it switched on throughout summer or have any thoughts/info about when Winter mode should be activated?
I looked at this on you tube for the Kona which is almost the same Car as the e Niro. It explained a lot.

Basically -10 & below is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts