Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keeping warm while charging zoe hadn't been an issue so far,until I noticed as things got cooler that though you can run the ac while she charges,adjusting the temp while doing so seems to have little or no effect...you just get air moving,no heat...someone mentioned elsewhere a workaround was to use the preheater button on the keyfob,the disadvantage being that just lasts for the 5 minutes..I decided to experiment with this tonight having been 24 hour shopping and passing the local rapid dc/ac charger..I plugged her in to charge,then hit the button on the fob..almost instantly the charger spit out the dummy,saying charging had halted and to unplug..but the heater had started up...I unplugged and then restarted the charging process which went fine for 5 minutes..and then the preheat timer ran out..I tried making it run again by hitting the button again,but the charger quit again! Enough experimentation.. I unplugged and drove home!

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's a shame. I use the preheat in the Leaf when charging and it doesn't kick the charge. Maybe Renault can update the Comms with the charger to stop this happening

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think i posted something similar before, the charging system seems over sensitive and stopped one time i turned the sat nav on. Mine has just had it's 3 ecu's upgraded by Renault so I will experiment again and see if it's better. I assumed with the heater that it will just preheat to the last used temperature ??

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think i posted something similar before, the charging system seems over sensitive and stopped one time i turned the sat nav on. Mine has just had it's 3 ecu's upgraded by Renault so I will experiment again and see if it's better. I assumed with the heater that it will just preheat to the last used temperature ??
It was nice and toasty in there while the fob timer lasted! I think it does work fine when she's plugged in at home and I set the timer from the computer ..I can go out to a defrosted and warm car...just waiting for a public charge that looks tricky...(that was the Terra 52 rapid unit,BTW..)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's probably because the Zoe expects to find earth resistance at 30 ohms or less. This has come about because of the way the French grid works, and design factors for that were built into the Zoe with that in mind. However our grid works on a PME basis, thus differing from France (although physical earth spikes are still used on chargers to improve the situation, and as an additional safety mechanism if PME earthing should fail).

Perhaps Renault should also include an earth lead and clamp with the Zoe, a set of earth spikes, goggles, gloves, and a lump hammer to hammer in a few of the spikes... :p
Did I read somewhere in the Zoe literature for users not to use those earthing straps that would get rid of static shocks?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have had a lot of highs and lows with the Zoe and the public charging network.
The most infuriating low was when the Zoe and/or the ecotricity charger shutdown repeatedly after 15 secs. A Vauxhall then rolled up and plugged in and charged beautifully off the same socket.
Today was good when I got over 5kWh off a municipal charger in under 15 minutes while getting the milk but I am expecting a bad day tomorrow as I have experienced many failures in the past few weeks. A removable range extender would be lovely.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand the automated heat setting is 22c..dunno if it can be reprogrammed..

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keeping warm while charging zoe hadn't been an issue so far,until I noticed as things got cooler that though you can run the ac while she charges,adjusting the temp while doing so seems to have little or no effect...you just get air moving,no heat...someone mentioned elsewhere a workaround was to use the preheater button on the keyfob,the disadvantage being that just lasts for the 5 minutes..I decided to experiment with this tonight having been 24 hour shopping and passing the local rapid dc/ac charger (ABB Terra 52)..I plugged her in to charge,then hit the button on the fob..almost instantly the charger spit out the dummy,saying charging had halted and to unplug..but the heater had started up...I unplugged and then restarted the charging process which went fine for 5 minutes..and then the preheat timer ran out..I tried making it run again by hitting the button again,but the charger quit again! Enough experimentation.. I unplugged and drove home!
Take 2...this time on a Siemens CP500 earlier....got out of the car,let it lock,then hit the heater button..I thought I heard something from the charger,but on opening the car again,the charging was still ongoing...so I had 5 minutes of warm while I waited for a bit more charge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts