Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
Another one (little clickbait-y but nonetheless good review of the Soul EV):
DON'T BUY a Kia e-Soul before watching this!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,128 Posts
From a Kona perspective, I agree with almost everything he says. Really like the look of the Soul. Some of the design decisions (shared with the Kona) when it comes to the UI/UX of the interior software & hardware are quite odd.

The home (touchscreen) button location is even worse for RHD cars as it’s quite a stretch. I realise the star button can be set to home (and it seems Kris maybe didn’t know that), but ideally I like to have the star button set to take me straight back into CarPlay). Would have been better even with just one additional favourite button.

I’ve been trying to figure out the most convenient way to check the numeric SoC whilst using CarPlay, and I think I’ve settled on using the steering wheel voice control button to bring up the voice screen - but with the right hand panel set to show the SoC. And then just saying “exit” to take me straight back to CarPlay. Much safer and less faff than interacting with the screen, stretching for buttons etc. I’ve also set the voice control to no guidance mode so it’s not intrusive.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
74 Posts
Agree the home screen (that comes with the current software) is naff/useless - I'm delaying any update in the hope it will revert to the 3-split or equivalent. But he obviously hasn't driven it enough to eg configure the HUD to display everything - For motorway driving you don't need to look down at all. Also he missed quite a lot of the better features of the UI eg scrolling the RHS provides some more interesting screens than just the battery SOC.

Given the home screen is useless - why would you ever want to get there - let alone on one button. I set the star button to display an analogue clock the other buttons effectively go direct to the screen you want anyway - and for setting destination I've found the voice control the fastest and easiest - if i haven't set it beforehand via uvo - have been surprised at what the voice system can understand.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,128 Posts
I really like the HUD and only really look at the cluster to occasionally check what sort of efficiency I’m getting. I do wish the HUD showed a few more things though - a big one being indicator arrows, as I find the indicator sound quite low compared to other cars, and have to visually check the cluster sometimes to see if the indicator has cancelled. I’d like it if that was in the HUD too.

I don’t use the home button or the home screen out of choice but it doesn’t seem there is much option because I have to choose only one thing for the single favourite button. I’d like to be able to easily move between 1) Google Maps / Waze on CarPlay 2) a screen that shows me the numeric SoC (I think this should have been shown in the cluster and maybe also the HUD) and 3) the EV screen which shows how the energy is being consumed.

As far as I can tell, the only way to move between the screens I like to use is via the home screen and, ideally, I like to have the star button set to take me directly to CarPlay, but that means I then have to use the on-screen home button to take me to the home screen so I can then enter the EV screen and then enter the consumption details screen.

They really should move the on-screen home button to the right hand side of the screen for right hand drive cars then it wouldn’t be a stretch.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
I really like the HUD and only really look at the cluster to occasionally check what sort of efficiency I’m getting. I do wish the HUD showed a few more things though - a big one being indicator arrows, as I find the indicator sound quite low compared to other cars, and have to visually check the cluster sometimes to see if the indicator has cancelled. I’d like it if that was in the HUD too.
I like the HUD and also struggle with the indicators. But I find it strange that the sound seems different when indicating for either direction. I can clearly hear the right indicator, but struggle and always have to check the dash for the left one... I swear I'm not deaf in one ear...

Reactions: Bill N
1 - 7 of 7 Posts