Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shall be visiting the Yorks Dales regularly during winter with a 135GT short term lease car - suggestions for inexpensive Winter tyres (not pure snow) - can these be fitted just on the front legally and safely?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
415 Posts
My local ATS offered to fit winter tyres on front only (2018 LEAF) so it is definitely legal and safe. Mine are branded "Landsail" but that's not necessarily a recommendation and I'm not sure how "budget" they are.

Winter tyres will be noticeably noisier than whatever was fitted originally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx, yes noise is a consideration, however all that R135GT torque, skinny tyres and unusually hi weight to tyre ratio is likely to lead to some very wayward back lane winter driving up north - 1:2 hairpins may well be impossible in hi temp compound tyres

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
763 Posts
I'd be interested to know how you get on. I found my Zoe to be the worst car I've ever driven for traction. I don't have a particularly heavy right foot, but it was all over the place on damp roads, let alone proper winter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmm, not driven in wet!! - In dry, the TC handled full bore acceleration well, not much reigning in of power and no uncontrolled wheelspin when traction first breaks - a little torque steer, thats all - Did u find uncontrolled wheelspin or power pulled back to too low and no progress when negotiating things like wet 1:2 hairpins?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,890 Posts
Had winter tyres on the front only, on various vehicles including a 2.5t motorhome and the results were impressive. But due to sod's law, often when I fitted the winter wheels, we had a mild winter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts