Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 in void and standard suspension
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess that winter tyres (or complete sets of wheels with winter tyres) are on the options list for Nordic countries (maybe Germany as well). Without opening the debate about the necessity of winter tyres in the UK, I am interested in getting some because:
  • 400+ BHP on wet and slippery roads may be a tad hairy
  • My experience of harsh regen on slippery roads is that it can be a bit scary (but at least we can turn it down/off in the PS2)
  • I have been on winter tyres every winter for the past few years - I regularly go to Germany around Christmas/New Year
Any thoughts on options for the PS2 in the UK, given that PS have not bothered to offer them as an option in the UK.

·
Registered
294 Posts
With PP it's a problem because of the huge brakes. Non PP, any Volvo wheels of the right size / pattern should be fine I think?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Same answer I always give. Michelin Cross Climate Plus. 1 tyre that does all year. More than up to the job and guys have been running them on Teslas for years so proven. You need to be either very north Scotland or worse to need full Winter tyres.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With PP it's a problem because of the huge brakes. Non PP, any Volvo wheels of the right size / pattern should be fine I think?
The PS2 wheels are different sizes front to back (although the tyres are the same size). I will have a look on fleabay to see if there are any matching volvo wheels.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same answer I always give. Michelin Cross Climate Plus. 1 tyre that does all year. More than up to the job and guys have been running them on Teslas for years so proven. You need to be either very north Scotland or worse to need full Winter tyres.

Yes - I agree.
2 problems:
  1. I have a set of Michelin Primacy 4 on the car with barely 500 miles on them
  2. Most of the All Season I have looked at using the usual suspects (blackcircles, mytyres, etc) either do not have 245/45R19 (Continental) or offer only a 102V XL (Michelin) which may be a little too stiff
I suppose I could buy some All Season and some wheels and just swap them around twice a year; or I could swap onto the standard rims and, once the Summers have worn out stick to the All Season all year round.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My Model 3 is on a lease so I'm sticking the original tyres back on when it goes back. If your planning on paying for winter tyres whats the difference with paying for All Season even if you just use them for winter. They work better than winter tyres pretty much all of the time anyway

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
No idea what the Polestar rides like on the original tyres or what size they are but beware - the CrossClimate+ is a very hard/harsh riding XL rated tyre with stiff sidewalls. I fitted some 215/50/17 on my Leaf and regret it in just a few weeks.

They're also very noisy under acceleration, a weird hissing noise. Very obvious in an EV without engine noise to mask it, and produce a weird buzzing/droning noise at around 60mph. YMMV.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No idea what the Polestar rides like on the original tyres or what size they are but beware - the CrossClimate+ is a very hard/harsh riding XL rated tyre with stiff sidewalls. I fitted some 215/50/17 on my Leaf and regret it in just a few weeks.

They're also very noisy under acceleration, a weird hissing noise. Very obvious in an EV without engine noise to mask it, and produce a weird buzzing/droning noise at around 60mph. YMMV.
I suspect that you are confirming my thoughts.
I can't imagine the ride improving if I change from a 91 load rating to 102 and the additional reinforcement that XL offers is likely to make things worse.
There are alternatives, obviously. Does anybody have experience of the Bridgestone or Good Year all season tyres on an EV?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have just had a look at my tyres and can confirm that they are 102 load rating (not 91 as I thought). So the widely available Michelin Crossclimate with a 102 load rating should be OK (even if the XL makes it a bit stiffer)

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I really don't get all weather tyres. You sacrifice 9 months of noise and economy for 3 months of "ok" levels.

I'd rather have summer tyres for 9 months and winter tyres for 3 months. At least that way 3/4 of the time I'm not reducing range and creating more road noise.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The Crossclimate + tyres on my Model 3 don't make a funny noise but then I use my stereo but have never heard anything when GF is in car and no stereo.
Stick pretty much as good as the original Michelin Pilot Sport 4 that came on the car unless really pushing but if your doing that with the car your not wanting an all weather tyre. What I can say is they will perform better than the OEM tyre through a lot of the year and out perform a winter tyre in all but the harshest weather.
Get a winter tyre and have less grip for a lot of the time you would use a winter/all season tyre.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I really don't get all weather tyres. You sacrifice 9 months of noise and economy for 3 months of "ok" levels.

I'd rather have summer tyres for 9 months and winter tyres for 3 months. At least that way 3/4 of the time I'm not reducing range and creating more road noise.
Economy is the same with Pilot Sport 4 and Crossclimate +. Wet grip a little less but I think that will be summer rather than winter. And they are quieter.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I've done both systems - had separate summer and winter tyres and pay a local tyre shop to swap them twice a year, and alternatively sell the nearly-new tyres and put all-season tyres on. I've decided that if you can afford a second set of rims, getting the second set and putting winters on, then changing them yourself twice a year is the best option. If (like me) you don't want the faff of a second set of wheels or it's a lease car, get a set of all-season tyres. I've got Continental AllSeason Contact on my Kona and they are very good, far quieter than the original-fit Nexens and have good grip and stability. No noticeable loss of economy either. Frustratingly they don't do this tyre in the Polestar sizes!

So in the end if the car is yours (not leased) then I'd be inclined to get a set of all-season tyres and sell the original tyres.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
The Crossclimate + tyres on my Model 3 don't make a funny noise but then I use my stereo but have never heard anything when GF is in car and no stereo.
After I heard the noise under acceleration myself I went googling for it and found lots of forum discussion elsewhere about it, mainly from Tesla owners ironically, with quite a few of them complaining about it. So, dunno why you can't hear it. It's definitely there. Maybe turn your radio off and wind the window down for a minute. :p It's usually noisiest on smooth surfaces.

No "mainstream" reviews of the CrossClimate+ report this noise - because they're all reviewing the tyres on ICE vehicles where the engine noise during acceleration will no doubt drown it out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After I heard the noise under acceleration myself I went googling for it and found lots of forum discussion elsewhere about it, mainly from Tesla owners ironically, with quite a few of them complaining about it. So, dunno why you can't hear it. It's definitely there. Maybe turn your radio off and wind the window down for a minute. :p It's usually noisiest on smooth surfaces.

No "mainstream" reviews of the CrossClimate+ report this noise - because they're all reviewing the tyres on ICE vehicles where the engine noise during acceleration will no doubt drown it out.
Does it matter how old the CrossClimates are? I have 2 new fronts and 1 older CC on the rear of my Nissan ENV200. I haven't noticed any extra sound over the original mix of Conti, Pirelli and Nexen that were on my ex-taxi when I bought it. The thing about CCs on an ENV is that you put them on and and don't have to worry in the UK. They cover the full range with no real-world downsides that I have encountered.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've done both systems - had separate summer and winter tyres and pay a local tyre shop to swap them twice a year, and alternatively sell the nearly-new tyres and put all-season tyres on. I've decided that if you can afford a second set of rims, getting the second set and putting winters on, then changing them yourself twice a year is the best option. If (like me) you don't want the faff of a second set of wheels or it's a lease car, get a set of all-season tyres. I've got Continental AllSeason Contact on my Kona and they are very good, far quieter than the original-fit Nexens and have good grip and stability. No noticeable loss of economy either. Frustratingly they don't do this tyre in the Polestar sizes!

So in the end if the car is yours (not leased) then I'd be inclined to get a set of all-season tyres and sell the original tyres.
This feels like the right logic. There's a tendency to apply the all season generalization to everyone. Noise, grip, efficiency and economy will not affect everyone to the same extent. It is almost like the rules need to be rewritten now that a cheap Leaf is quieter than a premium ICE. Also, a Leaf weights the same as a BMW320 estate and weight has always been a major influence in tyre performance/behaviour. The needs of my 'runabout ENV are clearly not the same as those for a mile-munching Tesla.

·
Registered
117 Posts

I drive a Volvo hybrid and switched to cross-climates last year. No audible noise or hiss in electric mode and I am pleased that I bought them both from a drive and grip perspective and any requirement to switch tyres each Spring

1 - 17 of 17 Posts