Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here thinking of getting winter tyres for their e-Golf? I have heard good things about the benefits of winter tyres but I don't do a lot of miles and live in the temperate south west London suburbs.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,323 Posts
It depends what your current tyres are like. If they have good deep shoulder blocks then they'll be OK. I've had some good summer tyres better in winter than the worst winter tyres!

In general, yes, because below around 7C the rubber of a winter tyre is more compliant to the road surface, whereas a summer tyre will become hard and lose its 'bite', especially LRR tyres. But that's not always a given.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I'm a big fan of winter tyres. I have been using them now since 2010 and will not go back to using summer tyres in winter.

But, I have just changed all 4 tyres for Michelin's latest tyre, the CrossClimate. They appear to be a better comprise than all season tyres and in tests seem to fare very well.

I have started another thread on them and will update you all how I find them. So far only driven 50metres home in them!!

I have a set of 215/70R16 Vredesein Wintrac 4 Extreme which are surplus to requirements as I have sold my Freelander I used them on. I must get round to selling them.

Edited the year lol

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been using them now since 2020
A visitor from the future! Do you mind if we meet up so I can take notes about how the stock market performs over the next five years? :D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm a big fan of winter tyres. I have been using them now since 2010 and will not go back to using summer tyres in winter.

But, I have just changed all 4 tyres for Michelin's latest tyre, the CrossClimate. They appear to be a better comprise than all season tyres and in tests seem to fare very well.

I have started another thread on them and will update you all how I find them. So far only driven 50metres home in them!!

I have a set of 215/70R16 Vredesein Wintrac 4 Extreme which are surplus to requirements as I have sold my Freelander I used them on. I must get round to selling them.

Edited the year lol
I suspect that all year tyres will not have the high economy rating which is preferred for EV use. Neither will winter tyres of course. There seems to be a lot of different winter tyres available, I have had really chunky grip ones which are great in snow but not often needed in this country. The ones I fit on my LEAF are a directional non symetrical pattern which is noticeably noisy on any kind of damp road, I assume this is because they displace the water with great efficiency.

Your Freelander tyres would be nice on the LEAF as 10% bigger the speedo would be correct and 1.5" more ground clearance could be useful in winter. Insurance would regard this as a modification sadly.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
We could look at it another way. It is questioned why people 'need' an Outlander, especially if they live in a city etc and how terribly wasteful they are. So how many of us drive our Leafs and Zoes with no passengers? How wasteful of us. Why are we not in a Twizy or single seater EV? What? We may carry passengers from time to time, just like an Outlander may tow a trailer or carry a wet dog?

Glass houses, in, stones, people, shouldn't throw - rearrange.

·
26,323 Posts
So how many of us drive our Leafs and Zoes with no passengers? How wasteful of us.
I understand the sentiment, but afraid to say that it is non-sequitur. Just because a car has more seats doesn't mean it is less efficient than one with fewer seats.

It is the bogus NEDC test that creates an implicit bias by calculating the rolling road resistance according to the coast down figures and the mass in service. Reality is that size and mass has little effect on EVs, and the differential is even less than ICE cars, which are also barely distinguishable, because the reality is that the NEDC test is not representative of the real world and mass makes very little different unless you are an ICE city taxi that never gets over 15mph.

The issue with an Outlander is not its mass, but its barn-door aerodynamics. Passenger cars that meet a 5 star NCAP have a minimum size for fundamentally practical reasons, thus aero cross section, and whether you try to make a 2 seater or a 5 seat, it isn't going to make any significant difference for an EV.

·
26,323 Posts
I have a mixed experience with all weather. It can make sense for some sorts of vehicles, and has worked very well on one of the family fleet which currently has them.

But for the Ampera I would be particularly concerned about pushing the range over into 'petrol' and the consequent costs of running that all year around. And it does have an impact that just pushes it too far. If I had a 100 mile range BEV and only used 50 miles a day of it, I would probably take a punt at all seasons and if I didn't like them then just use them for winter only use. I can't afford to do this with the Ampera so it makes no difference.

If you think your BEV use is also close to the maximum (and bear in mind heating use and battery degradations) then I would not bother to experiment with all seasons. Just find a summer tyre that performs reasonably well in winter (some 'summer' tyres can be better than '3PMSF' marked tyres simply because there's no reason they'd have been tested to see if they'd pass). You can normally spot which tyres are going to perform well, they tend to have quite chunky blocks on the shoulder of the tyre. Tyres with very close blocks with little spacing do well for economy and noise in summer, but they struggle to displace water and provide lateral grip in winter.

·
26,323 Posts
PS - If anyone would like a set of brand new (still labelled) Maxxis MA-AS all season tyres in 205x65/15, 99V, then let me know. I'll do a good deal to any forum members.

I bought them for the Grand Espace for a trip into EU land last year where they require 3PMSF tyres in winter (which these have), but that trip didn't happen, so not sure what to do with them now!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am seriously looking at those Cross Climates, but they're C rated for economy and my current summer tyres are A.

Anyone know yet if this will create a noticeable difference in real world driving economy on the e-Golf?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am seriously looking at those Cross Climates, but they're C rated for economy and my current summer tyres are A.

Anyone know yet if this will create a noticeable difference in real world driving economy on the e-Golf?
@MikeProcter has started a thread on these here

Michelin CrossClimate tyres

I've considered these too, but as my existing tyres are quite new and I don't do many drives outside the suburbs I've decided not to bother until they need replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No...All season tryes are different from Cross climate ...

Cross Climates are strictly labelled as summer rubber that borrow tread structure and compound chemistry from their winter counterparts making them receive official winter certification, so they can legally be used during winter in countries that enforce such tyre regulations.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No...All season tryes are different from Cross climate ...

Cross Climates are strictly labelled as summer rubber that borrow tread structure and compound chemistry from their winter counterparts making them receive official winter certification, so they can legally be used during winter in countries that enforce such tyre regulations.
So if the Cross Climates can be used in summer and winter and their economy (C) and wet performance (A) ratings are better than other all season tyres, then why would you not go for them? That is a geniune question, I am not being a smart arse!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts