Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's mid-summer. Why on earth am I posting about winter tyres?

With COVID-19 and the very real prospect of losing work I got my MOT and service in on the Friday before the lockdown was announced. As the original 2012 michelins were cracking on the sidewalls which would fail the MOT (this was before the 6 month extension was announced too) I had a set of winter tyres fitted that had come with the car when I bought it. No point in spending hundreds when I had them sitting there. Yes, I know they have no benefit in warm weather but beggars can't be choosers.

So on they went, car serviced, MOT passed. Lockdown starts. Car use drops. Weather warms up, restrictions lifting. Start to use the car and then, a new warning message that I have not seen before......

'winter tyre detected'

Has anyone else had this? It made me laugh. And then start to think how it has worked it out that the car has winter tyres fitted. I can only assume that it is comparing some data from a background table with my driving style/power usage/speed etc. and identifying that the range should be better. That rolling resistance must be increased and therefore a winter tyre must be on the car.

Any thoughts anyone?

I'm intrigued....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Winter tyers have a compound that stays soft at lower temperatures when rubber would get hard. At warmer temperatures when rubber is soft I assume the winter tyers would be even softer.

Is it possible that by comparing the ABS signals from each wheel the ECU can see a delay in the driven wheels when accelerating indicating a very soft compound?

How ever it does it hats off to the programmes.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would guess it's noticed that all of the tyre pressure sensors have changed or disappeared.
Yep, it's the TPMS system...

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
It's mid-summer. Why on earth am I posting about winter tyres?

With COVID-19 and the very real prospect of losing work I got my MOT and service in on the Friday before the lockdown was announced. As the original 2012 michelins were cracking on the sidewalls which would fail the MOT (this was before the 6 month extension was announced too) I had a set of winter tyres fitted that had come with the car when I bought it. No point in spending hundreds when I had them sitting there. Yes, I know they have no benefit in warm weather but beggars can't be choosers.

So on they went, car serviced, MOT passed. Lockdown starts. Car use drops. Weather warms up, restrictions lifting. Start to use the car and then, a new warning message that I have not seen before......

'winter tyre detected'

Has anyone else had this? It made me laugh. And then start to think how it has worked it out that the car has winter tyres fitted. I can only assume that it is comparing some data from a background table with my driving style/power usage/speed etc. and identifying that the range should be better. That rolling resistance must be increased and therefore a winter tyre must be on the car.

Any thoughts anyone?

I'm intrigued....
Some TPMS systems have provision for two sets of sensors, A&B or possibly winter or summer.

OR, the ESP system has worked out from the slip angles that your tyres are much less stiff directionally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not so sure about the TPMS because firstly I checked the pressures on them immediately after fitting. I also routinely look at them every time I drive it. They are working fine. The winter tyres were put on the original wheels, I do not have 2 sets of wheels.
Secondly, the winter tyres were fitted in March and the ‘winter tyre detected’ message appeared in the last few days. i.e. if it was monitoring the TPMS interruption it has taken 3 months to report the change.
I think something else must be working this out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would guess it's noticed that all of the tyre pressure sensors have changed or disappeared.
Yes I used to get this and assumed the above. Have to admit I thought the sensors were wireless and in the valve so might still pick up the signal until you drive away ? 🤷‍♂️🤔
Quite curious now though ....keep going !

·
Registered
360 Posts
It is the TPMS - but my passenger was really impressed when the message was displayed shortly after I put my winter tyres on last November! I have always used Winter Tyres now for several years - it was an easy choice when I had a rear wheel drive BMW as a company car. There are several advantages - especially for the owner driver because keeping a set of winter tyres on steel wheels, means that our expensive alloys are protected from the perils of our Winter roads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts