Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fitted my snow tyres complete with steel rims for a trip to Germany and Luxembourg, got them complete and balanced off the net with mytyres.com. First impressions are a bit of under steer, which would be expected and with a quick get away they can spin a bit, road noise about the same maybe even a little quieter!

Gary
Best toy I have had
9985 miles
97 mpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
For everyone wanting to know about WinterTyres for Ampera, you can use the same size tyres 215/55 R17 on your alloys. Just remember to get the closest speed rating and weight rating to your original tyres 215/55R17 SL 94H HW3.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Have you looked at the cost of the standard tyre about £150 each. I have to say I have not done in depth research on who is cheapest.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The wheel shop in Rochester just quoted $440 for 4 x 15" alloys with icemaster winter tyres fitted to rims and delivered, for the Zoe. Seem a helpful bunch too :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
@Qdos I had a good deal for my ICE lexus, it was set of 4 summer tyres r18 255/35, "xmas trees" for £200 China made. Lasted from March to November, just for a bit less than 10k miles, definitely not worth to go for them. Also I'm from wintery country myself (we having -20-30'C very often and it's normal, with a lot of snow), not worth to buy used ones winter tyres which having less than 5mm of "meat".

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well, it didn't say on ebay "made in China" but indeed it was saying on the tyres itself. If they can't meet EU standards, they can not be imported as far as I know.
So why did I buy it? It was next day delivery, I failed mot because of tyres and I needed to go abroad next evening, so it was my choice :)
Lesson taken:D

·
Registered
427 Posts
The tyre performance, braking distance were good. I think the mix of rubber was probably too soft, it was disappearing way too fast:D rolling resistance probably was worse than better brand, it sounded like winter tyres above 50mph. But I didn't notice any difference in fuel consumption

·
Registered
558 Posts
If buying winter tyres don't forget that some cars, like the Zoe, have tyre pressure sensors.

Just throwing on a set of spare wheels, which don't comply, will result in an annoying warning light on your dash.

Suggest keeping your correct rims and swapping the summer tyres out for a few months.
True but on my leaf they are standard size and the light flashs for 1 minute and then is on solid. Not really annoying and you could put a square of black tape there if it really wound you up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts