Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had the Kona for a couple of months now and am looking towards the winter months (NEXENS!!!) and my steep driveway and planning for winter tyres.
On my other cars I have always picked up some steel rims and fitted winter tyres to them, both to make changeover simple and avoid taking tyres on and off the alloys twice a year - avoiding both expense & stressing the tyres!
Has anyone found suitable alternative wheels (7J x 17, 5 stud, 114.3mm PCD ET 50), or even 16 inch if they will fit.
What is on offer in the Nordic or Alpine countries for winter use.
Any information gratefully received. Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
In all my 39 years of driving, I've only ever changed the tyres if the tread was low. Never changed from summer to winter, and never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Your probably better off selling the nexens on as used tyres and fitting Michelin CrossClimate+
It will save you faffing with tyre swaps twice a year and should handle your drive as well as a good winter tyre would be able to do.

·
Registered
Kona 64
556 Posts
I used to do the same with my previous cars, but with the Kona and my wife’s Fiesta we have Michelin Cross Climates. Saves a lot of faffing around. My wife has used them through two winters. For emergencies we also carry Autosocks, have never had to use them. They take up little space and sell well on Ebay when you change car. Its overkill because the Michelins are certified as legal for Ski Resorts, they have some hills in the Alps. They have the snowflake symbol, so legal in winter anywhere in Europe. Also good for muddy fields. AutoSock snow socks

·
Registered
427 Posts
Your probably better off selling the nexens on as used tyres and fitting Michelin CrossClimate+
It will save you faffing with tyre swaps twice a year and should handle your drive as well as a good winter tyre would be able to do.
I’d second that - Michelin Cross Climate+ tyres are amongst a few brands of All Season tyre that are also Winter rated, so have the snow-peaked mountain and snowflake symbol on them.

This means they’re road legal in Winter road conditions in Germany, unlike non-Winter rated All Season tyres.

If they’re good enough for German law they’re good enough for the UK Winter weather, and as Kingpleb says, a lot less hassle than swapping wheels and tyres.

They won’t perform technically as well in snow, ice and cold wet/dry road surfaces below 8° as dedicated branded Winter tyres, but they’re better than budget Winter tyres.

A cheaper alternative to the Michelins are BF Goodrich G-Grip All Season 2 on my last company car which were really very good if a little noisy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be "full" winter tyres for me (oop North, you see) - hence the need to change back to summer tyres for the warmer temperatures.
It is hard to explain the huge difference between summer and winter tyres to someone who hasn`t used them.
Once the temperature drops they just work SO much better. And, although traction to go is a big advantage, it is the stopping and steering that is the most important thing!!!
So, any wheel recommendations?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,674 Posts
In all my 39 years of driving, I've only ever changed the tyres if the tread was low. Never changed from summer to winter, and never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know.
That is because of where you live. There are countries where it is a legal requirement to switch tyres for winter/summer. Some places have it only as a recommendation.

But as you said, in the UK, I have never felt the need for switching away from a good quality set of tyres.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
It will be "full" winter tyres for me (oop North, you see) - hence the need to change back to summer tyres for the warmer temperatures.
It is hard to explain the huge difference between summer and winter tyres to someone who hasn`t used them.
Once the temperature drops they just work SO much better. And, although traction to go is a big advantage, it is the stopping and steering that is the most important thing!!!

You see i have used them, and ive used winters all year round. hence why we are saying the crossclimate+ is the best option. its an almost perfect tyre for the UK, more so for the north. Unless your getting over 2' of snow and considering studded they are bloody amazing tyres for what they are. They are 3peaks rated so good enough for the Alps in winter :)

If they can do that then they can cope with the UK :D
I've had them on the leaf past and present and driven in snow and ice and comfortably sailed past anyone else struggling away on the roads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After some research I decided to go with Michelin Alpin 6 this winter so we'll see how it will go.
I live in continental part of SE Europe so temperatures can go down to -10 in winter with a lot of rain and occasional slush while summers are quite hot (around 30C) and dry so I always go with separate sets of tires. So in the end it just depends on which weather conditions are dominant in your country.

·
Registered
Kona 64
556 Posts
If its that cold keep the winter tyres on all summer! One summer I still had the winter tyres on in July. I went to s steam traction engine event and was the only 2 wheel drive car which didn't need towing off the field. Brilliant mud & snow tyres.

·
Registered
359 Posts
After some research I decided to go with Michelin Alpin 6 this winter so we'll see how it will go.
I live in continental part of SE Europe so temperatures can go down to -10 in winter with a lot of rain and occasional slush while summers are quite hot (around 30C) and dry so I always go with separate sets of tires. So in the end it just depends on which weather conditions are dominant in your country.
This is the UK. We can have all weather conditions on the same day! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is the UK. We can have all weather conditions on the same day! :)
Haha then you definitely go with all-season tires, that way you're always ready.

For my choice I always rely on ADAC tests and then do an additional comparison. Even though Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 has the best traction on a wet surface, their high wear, rolling resistance and noise made me to go for Michelin Alpin 6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts