Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’ve done a fair few miles in the last couple of days - lots of short journeys and it’s maybe 5% worse?
Very wet windy and heater needed drive last night. Wettest yet and pleased to say sure footed even with bridgestone tyres, ie flooded roads and rivers across road.

3.7mi/kwh rather than more usual 4+ and reflected in gom

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,834 Posts
61% and 127 GOM miles here, on my 58kWh version.

Yes, the last few journeys I’ve done have been in the wet and wind, we’re definitely heading into the 200 mile max range period rather than the 240 now. 💦🍃❄

·
Registered
Volkwagen ID3 1st Edition
104 Posts
61% and 127 GOM miles here, on my 58kWh version.

Yes, the last few journeys I’ve done have been in the wet and wind, we’re definitely heading into the 200 mile max range period rather than the 240 now. 💦🍃❄
61% and 134 miles for me, after driving 50 miles yesterday in the pouring rain and colder weather. I'm not sure how far back the GOM goes for estimating range as using yesterdays driving it would be likely be guessing around 117 for 61%.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My miles per kWh dropped from a consistent 3.7 at motorway speeds on my 32 mile each way commute to 3.1kWh with temperatures dropping on the morning to about 9C (so not a drastic drop in temps). I have a 120 mile trip down to Doncaster for an audit on Weds, will have to see how early into the return leg I need to top up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
AC seems to be pretty efficient, the most I've seen it draw is 1.7kwh when at max chat in a freshly opened hot car on a sunny day. Turning it off mid-journey only adds 2 or 3 miles to the gom before I remember life is too short and turn it back on.
It's obviously significantly less than the 4 or 5kwh I've seen for battery heating.

I leave the AC on permanently and have not noticed any major drop off in mileage, obviously every journey isn't exactly the same so hard to compare fairly but it's hardly as if it's enough for me to worry about the impact.

These are just figures I've noticed when stationary, doesn't mean they're gospel.

·
Registered
ID3 life
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AC seems to be pretty efficient, the most I've seen it draw is 1.7kwh when at max chat in a freshly opened hot car on a sunny day. Turning it off mid-journey only adds 2 or 3 miles to the gom before I remember life is too short and turn it back on.
It's obviously significantly less than the 4 or 5kwh I've seen for battery heating.

I leave the AC on permanently and have not noticed any major drop off in mileage, obviously every journey isn't exactly the same so hard to compare fairly but it's hardly as if it's enough for me to worry about the impact.

These are just figures I've noticed when stationary, doesn't mean they're gospel.
The battery heater seems to me to draw quite a lot of power initially then tapers off. Why can't VW enable the car to heat the battery when it's plugged in and you pre-condition via the app? This would increase the range if you're setting off on a long journey.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I haven't done too badly this Morning.

Driving North Shields to Doncaster for an audit, stopped at Ferrybridge. Started with 100% charge and 231 miles.

Ferrybridge is 101 miles done and 48% left, 3.4 miles per kWh. 9.5C and a bit of a headwind.

Car is charging to 90% on a rapid charger now. Should be just over 80% when I get to Doncaster, plenty for the 118 mile journey home.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,834 Posts
I drove from east Lincs to the North West yesterday evening, around 200 miles.

Very wet for most of it, ferocious side and then headwind as the journey went on.

Averaged 2.9 miles per kWh, average speed for the latter half of the journey was 62mph.

To be honest, I’m past caring what efficiency I get now, I could have done better should I have wanted to or if I’d had nowhere to charge up enroute, but I did so it didn’t really enter into my conscience.

This will be my third winter now in a 100% electric car, the second in the ID.3, and it’s just something I don’t think about and the car has become the tool it should be.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
635 Posts
The trouble is as winter range decreases, the foibles of a poor EV charging infrastructure come in to play more, at least for those who have to travel longer distances. It isn’t just about the car.
We need a lot more progress in terms of EV charger numbers and their reliability/maintenance.

·
Registered
ID3 life
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I drove from east Lincs to the North West yesterday evening, around 200 miles.

Very wet for most of it, ferocious side and then headwind as the journey went on.

Averaged 2.9 miles per kWh, average speed for the latter half of the journey was 62mph.

To be honest, I’m past caring what efficiency I get now, I could have done better should I have wanted to or if I’d had nowhere to charge up enroute, but I did so it didn’t really enter into my conscience.

This will be my third winter now in a 100% electric car, the second in the ID.3, and it’s just something I don’t think about and the car has become the tool it should be.
Got to agree with you, 95% of my journeys I don't even think about efficiency. Travel to my daughter's twice a month, round trip of 130 miles but I put it on the granny charger for 2 or 3 hours when I'm there to give me some wiggle room. Mega happy with car, no issues with software since 2.1 and saving a bomb on fuel. Hey tooks, whereabouts in lincs do you live, I'm just outside Lincoln?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The trouble is as winter range decreases, the foibles of a poor EV charging infrastructure come in to play more, at least for those who have to travel longer distances. It isn’t just about the car.
We need a lot more progress in terms of EV charger numbers and their reliability/maintenance.
Agreed. Couldn't give a toss about efficiency when in the range of my home charger, but when out on longer journeys and reliant on the greater charging infrastructure, it matters.

Also, paying 30 - 40p per kWh instead of 5p per kWh makes me realise what a tightarse I've become with fuelling costs - shock at paying £7.04 on my 120kWh charger top up of around 24kWh!😄

·
Registered
83 Posts
I might add that I wasn't using AC or heating on my last 2 journeys with the efficiency dip, just the dipped beam as it was still dark when I set off.
I find AC hardly makes a difference. Plan to keep it on all year round. Last time I tried to switch it off in a car, it became smelly over time and had to be cleaned. Not sure if this is an issue with the newer ACs ???

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I find AC hardly makes a difference. Plan to keep it on all year round. Last time I tried to switch it off in a car, it became smelly over time and had to be cleaned. Not sure if this is an issue with the newer ACs ???
It makes quite a difference when there's a significant differential between ambient temps and the temp you want, unless you use recirculation.

To a small degree, aircon Is always on in the background, so there's not much chance of bacterial contamination for those smells or leaks of refrigerant through dried out seals.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts