Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not specific to a Tesla, but my wipers seem to have made permanent smears on the windscreen. They are only visible when its wet and I have oncoming headlights - but they obscure the view a lot. Cleaning with lots of windscreen spray hasn't shifted it. I've also cleaned the wiper blades. I've read somewhere that cleaning the screen with alcohol will get rid of it - can anyone verify this? Where does one acquire cleaning alcohol?

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Maybe the screen is scratched?

You can get this polished out.

Nail polish remove can be pretty good to thoroughly clean the screen - just don't get it on the paint.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I don't think it's scratched, it's more like greasy smears. I haven't tried meths, I did think about it but am worried I might damage laminate or something that I'm unaware of so that's why I came here to check first!

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
I haven't tried meths, I did think about it but am worried I might damage laminate or something that I'm unaware of so that's why I came here to check first!
It's just glass so will be fine, so long as you don't use an acid.

I got pure alcohol from a chemists, but I think you can get it on Amazon.

·
Registered
436 Posts
White spirit (otherwise called gin) is much better for drinking. I find meths great for windows. Just avoid the paintwork. Lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
The other day I was following a small truck thing, (like a transit chassis cab) with some kind of pump and tank arrangement on the back. I believe it had the name of a company to do with "oil recycling" not sure what oil, motor, cooking, industrial... either way when he set off from a standstill a decent amount of stuff poured out of the dangling hose at the back of the thing pouring god knows what all over the road.

Things like that make me so angry, probably because there's nothing you can do about it and who knows what pollutant is being poured all over the place.

My point being, I wonder if you have the misfortune to be on the road shortly after something like this, depending on the chemical composition of what has been dumped, if it gets sprayed up by other vehicles over your car whether it could become bonded a bit to a windscreen and cause such smearing.

Good luck cleaning it off. I just sorted the inside of a relatives windscreen, after they had it replaced by autoglass or similar the inside was a mess with manufacturing/storage residue I think. They wiped it with a microfibre but it just smeared all over the place. Driving at night like you say the windscreen was covered in weird swirly/greasy marks, my relative didn't mind but I couldn't stand it even as a passenger. 10mins with some vinegar, microfibres and finish off with newspaper and it sorted it but what a faff.

·
Registered
793 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
This is mostly caused by oily contaminants, as suggested above, although more from the presence of diseasel vehicles on the road.

Clean your windscreen with a plain car shampoo (not a wash'n'wax) and use a screenwash mix with a decent amount/strength of detergent in (do not use washing up liquid - may cause corrosion within the system or precipitation when mixed with other things).

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,214 Posts
Buy some petrol. It's one of the best solvents for removing oily stuff.

:devilish:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I had a windscreen replaced on one of my home builds and it was awful to look through. Took it back to the windscreen company and they said it was a protective film sometimes used during manufacture.
They used a commercial glass polish to sort it and even gave me the rest of the bottle.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
When I got my model 3 there was some kind of coating on it that was obvious as they'd applied it with the tape still stuck to the window (so when it rained there would be tape marks where the water stuck to the pane differently)..It wouldn't scrub out. Eventually got rid of the it with gtechniq g4.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've got a patch on the top right of my windscreen directly in line with the wiper, like it's wiped up to that point then skipped about 30cm. I also have a really annoying squeaking judder for the last inch of the upward swing on the drivers side. I've given the windscreen and blade a good clean, but made no difference, so I'm going to give it a good polish with something stronger when I get the chance.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I know this is a couple of months old but several of us M3 owners have experienced this in the UK and the US and it seems to be down to the quality of the OEM wiper blades. I managed to find a pair of BOSCH Wiper Blades Set 650 3 397 014 116 on eBay for £22. They are mirror images of the RHD ones (so presumably for LHD) but fit with no issues other than the tiny aerofoil being upside down but that seems to have no affect. Cures the streaking by about 95%.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've not been able to find RHD variants of these. Logic would suggest the A952S but checking online says not compatible, so there must be more to it that the size of the blade.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought a set of Michelin Stealth from eBay and fitted them last weekend. They are working really well... much less smearing than before. They were a little hard to fit... you need to use the TL-4 adaptor (included with the blades) and put that onto the car first and then clip in the blades.

What also helped was completely draining the washer bottle (I used a wet vac to suck everything out), filling it with water, running water through the jets a good number of times, draining out the water, filling it with a 1:9 concentration of Autoglym Screen Wash and water.

I have been using Autoglym Fast Glass and Autoglym Glass Polish to clean the windscreen.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts