Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve bought an OHME commando cable as my Polestar 2 doesn’t have scheduled charging yet. Unfortunately it looks as if my original plan to run the commando socket off my garage supply is not straightforward. There’s 6mm cable to the garage CU but it’s protected by a 32A fuse in the main CU and as I understand it the cable would need to be 10mm if I put a 40A fuse in the main CU to allow for other equipment In the garage in addition to the commando socket.

Could I get an electrician to remove the commando plug from the OHME cable and wire it straight into the PodPoint unit (removing the PodPoint tethered cable)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What type of cable supplies the garage? 6mm SWA cable is good for 46A.

Also where is the Podpoint fed from? I'm guessing not the garage?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Careful, it depends on the cable type and how it is mounted - for example buried SWA would require 10mm^2 for 40A continuous.

Answering the OP's original question, Yes. It is simple to do and within the rules. Clearly you lose the portability of the Ohme cable.

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cable to the garage CU is buried within conduit and within surface mounted conduit elsewhere. The PodPoint is on its own cabling from the meter with a seperate isolator with 32A MCB.

I wondered whether having the OHME cable would confuse the PodPoint if we connect to the outgoing terminals? Is it better to just take the supply cable out of the PodPoint and terminate it with a commando socket, or am I losing some earth protection by doing that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is it better to just take the supply cable out of the PodPoint and terminate it with a commando socket, or am I losing some earth protection by doing that?
This is what I did - just remove the old unit and replace with an interlocked 32A commando socket - they're about 25/30 quid on ebay. As the wiring for the PodPoint will be to the EVSE regs there's no problem with swapping to a commando socket (technically the rules for installing a standalone commando socket and a commando socket for EV charging are different).

I think you're even "allowed" to do it yourself as you're not adding/removing/changing the circuit.
Just beware the Ohme commando 'tail' is stupidly short so depending on the type of socket you get, mounting options for the Ohme unit might be limited.

·
Registered
12 Posts
for example buried SWA would require 10mm^2 for 40A continuous.
My regs book and design software say otherwise but happy to be shown where I'm going wrong?

It = In / rating factors
It = 40 / Cc = 0.9 (assuming burried at 0.7m and Ca,Cs are default)
It = 44.44

Table 4D4 6mm method D = 46A. (Note 3 on page 384 then says the actual capacity is approx. 10% higher)

If you use the BICC data which is supposedly more representative of UK conditions you have a CCC of 69A though this is irrelevant as it won't be SWA in conduit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The cable to the garage CU is buried within conduit and within surface mounted conduit elsewhere. The PodPoint is on its own cabling from the meter with a seperate isolator with 32A MCB.

I wondered whether having the OHME cable would confuse the PodPoint if we connect to the outgoing terminals? Is it better to just take the supply cable out of the PodPoint and terminate it with a commando socket, or am I losing some earth protection by doing that?
It wouldn't "confuse" the pod as the Ohme cable would be acting like your car.

But you'd void your warranty and if any thing did go wrong you'd be paying twice.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Careful, it depends on the cable type and how it is mounted - for example buried SWA would require 10mm^2 for 40A continuous.

Answering the OP's original question, Yes. It is simple to do and within the rules. Clearly you lose the portability of the Ohme cable.
And of course how long it is.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,880 Posts
I’ve bought an OHME commando cable as my Polestar 2 doesn’t have scheduled charging yet. Unfortunately it looks as if my original plan to run the commando socket off my garage supply is not straightforward. There’s 6mm cable to the garage CU but it’s protected by a 32A fuse in the main CU and as I understand it the cable would need to be 10mm if I put a 40A fuse in the main CU to allow for other equipment In the garage in addition to the commando socket.

Could I get an electrician to remove the commando plug from the OHME cable and wire it straight into the PodPoint unit (removing the PodPoint tethered cable)?
You can ask OHME to re-rate your lead to something other than 32A.

But why would you need to run something off the supply in the garage whilst charging. Just charge at night and leave your milling machine to take a break! ;)

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For reference, this didn’t work. There’s no voltage at the cable out terminal when you swap out the PodPoint cable for the OHME cable. Possibly something to do with the fourth (thinner) wire in the PodPoint cable that isn‘t in the OHME cable. Going for a connector block to bypass the PodPoint circuits, in hindsight would have been easier to take the supply cable out of the PodPoint and terminate with a commando socket.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,880 Posts
For reference, this didn’t work. There’s no voltage at the cable out terminal when you swap out the PodPoint cable for the OHME cable. Possibly something to do with the fourth (thinner) wire in the PodPoint cable that isn‘t in the OHME cable. Going for a connector block to bypass the PodPoint circuits, in hindsight would have been easier to take the supply cable out of the PodPoint and terminate with a commando socket.
Just remove and fit a terminal box/fuse/switch where the power wires came to the podpoint. Then connect a socket from the terminal box.

AFAIU It's notifiable if you change the wiring, so don't change the wiring ...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did you put it on charge?

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now wired straight through with a terminal box. Ohme now lit up but has only done one handshake with the Polestar 2, subsequent attempts have failed with no handshake and the OHME reporting an EV fault :(

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Working now - operator error 😳. Thank you all for your help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts