Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

First time poster, but long time reader.

I was very lucky to have collected my new Z.E. 50 before the lockdown and noticed that the car didn’t come with wireless CarPlay. Does anyone have a recommendation on a wireless adapter others have used previously?

Also I know a fair few people are still waiting for delivery for their vehicle with everything going on, so I’m happy to answer questions, etc. that people may have.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Congrats on your new fancy wheels!

The type of adapter you'd need is wireless Lightning to USB or wireless USB to USB; I never heard of something like that existing... Would be curious if such things exist, too!

What I did is to basically run a Lightning to USB cable around/under the centre console and have the phone sitting on the charging pad, always plugged in (my phone doesn't have wireless charging).

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,110 Posts
Hello everyone!

First time poster, but long time reader.

I was very lucky to have collected my new Z.E. 50 before the lockdown and noticed that the car didn’t come with wireless CarPlay. Does anyone have a recommendation on a wireless adapter others have used previously?

Also I know a fair few people are still waiting for delivery for their vehicle with everything going on, so I’m happy to answer questions, etc. that people may have.
Well you’ve kept that quiet for a few weeks ;)

Which model do you have and what colour?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you’ve kept that quiet for a few weeks ;)

Which model do you have and what colour?
haha. Unfortunately my day job has kept me busier than it would have with everything going on.

I have the Iconic R135 with Rapid Charging in Zircon Blue :)

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Curious.. there’s actually tons of these dongles on Amazon. I guess they just contain a WiFi card and route the connection to the head unit.

Be interesting if you could trick the ze40 headunit into thinking it’s receiving an androidAuto input, but actually load up CarPlay...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would speculate that it requests the bluetooth signal for wireless carplay from the iPhone and then sends it via USB to the headunit (Zoe uses Android based unit). The ones I found don't mention Android auto, but Android based.

However, the Amazon ones don't seem to be compatible with OEM units, because one needs to install an app for it to work...

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,110 Posts
haha. Unfortunately my day job has kept me busier than it would have with everything going on.

I have the Iconic R135 with Rapid Charging in Zircon Blue :)
Is this your first EV? Have you had chance to DC charge using CCS yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why the 2020 Zoe didn’t come with it, especially with the wireless charging pad is beyond me a tad.
Wireless CarPlay uses both Bluetooth and WiFi. It initiates a connection over Bluetooth and then uses WiFi and disconnects the Bluetooth. This gives it enormous bandwidth to allow things like much better sound quality than is possible over Bluetooth. Presumably it's the lack of in-car WiFi that prevents the use of wireless CarPlay?

·
Registered
599 Posts
The zoe is wired CarPlay only, which is a massive shame as it has a wireless charging mat, which won’t be used if you plug the USB into the phone for CarPlay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this your first EV? Have you had chance to DC charge using CCS yet?
It is my first EV! I used to own a Skoda Citigo which was about to go over 100,000 miles after 7.5 years from new. I do a 60 mile round trip a day to work so it clocks up quickly - obviously not at the moment. I haven't DC charged yet but I'm excited to try it when I can.

The zoe is wired CarPlay only, which is a massive shame as it has a wireless charging mat, which won’t be used if you plug the USB into the phone for CarPlay
It really is - hence the search for a wireless adapter!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts