Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else on 2.0 using wireless CarPlay find that the audio stutters? It happens to me I would say on average once per song, so isn't a huge deal, but thought I'd report it as a bug on here nevertheless.

The question is, whose bug? Some google searching leads me to believe that owners of other brands of car with wireless CarPlay have also started threads to report audio stuttering. So it's quite possible that this is an Apple bug rather than a VW bug. If so, this will never get fixed, as engineers at the car manufacturers will say "not us guv, talk to Apple" and Apple will say "yeah, sounds like a problem with your car, best talk to the people who made it." That's the downside of cars integrating with smartphones... when it doesn't work, it's impossible to prove whose fault it is!

UPDATE

Now solved! :D

There's a tip I've seen on a German forum: try deactivating the search for new wifi networks on the ID.3 (Settings/Wi-Fi/Wi-Fi/Search for Wi-Fi). Worth a try...

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Not happened with me.

No idea if this help or not, but now you have 2.0 setup the cars wifi hotspot and connect your phone to that too. Carplay uses bluetooth to setup the connection but then wifi to keep operating. Also obviously make sure your phone is maybe out of your pocket incase that's limiting the signal.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
Very occasionally. Sometimes when changing drive selection, sometimes when operating the infotainmnet screen, but never often enough or with any regularity to be even vaguely annoying. When driving along, I've gone a whole album without any blips. Sorry :(

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it (or, ear on it) for now then. I have also noticed actually that it'll sometime happen when changing driving modes or something like that, so maybe I've just been unlucky with the regularity. When I say on average once per album, thinking about it maybe it has just been a bit worse than usual today and is usually a little less frequent than that.

As I say, not a huge deal for me either. If you're at the 'not even vaguely annoying' threshold, I'm maybe at the 'vaguely annoying but no more than that' threshold :)

Maybe the mythical 2.1 update when it appears will sort it!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,645 Posts
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it (or, ear on it) for now then. I have also noticed actually that it'll sometime happen when changing driving modes or something like that, so maybe I've just been unlucky with the regularity. When I say on average once per album, thinking about it maybe it has just been a bit worse than usual today and is usually a little less frequent than that.

As I say, not a huge deal for me either. If you're at the 'not even vaguely annoying' threshold, I'm maybe at the 'vaguely annoying but no more than that' threshold :)

Maybe the mythical 2.1 update when it appears will sort it!
I heard it’s linked to the lack of rear speakers, those with them don’t get any stutters?

🏃‍♂️💨

·
Registered
494 Posts
This happens to me with Android Auto if I have anything other than AA on the main screen, including the in-car navigation. The longer AA is running in the background, the worse the stuttering gets. It goes away immediately if I switch back to AA and I have never noticed any stuttering/buffering at all if it's left open all the time.

It seems to me like the car computer doesn't multitask well & has trouble with an audio stream if you are trying to do something else.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
308 Posts
Happens intermittently with CarPlay, not noticed it being linked to anything I’m doing or the car is doing.

It did not happen prior to CarPlay when it was just regular Bluetooth audio, I’ve read elsewhere that CarPlay is actually using WiFi between the car and phone for audio though.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This happens to me with Android Auto if I have anything other than AA on the main screen, including the in-car navigation. The longer AA is running in the background, the worse the stuttering gets. It goes away immediately if I switch back to AA and I have never noticed any stuttering/buffering at all if it's left open all the time.

It seems to me like the car computer doesn't multitask well & has trouble with an audio stream if you are trying to do something else.
Aha! A key bit of information if it's Android Auto as well as CarPlay. Suggests it is a VW issue. As you say, certainly sounds like it is when the infotainment system is working hard at something, the stutters can happen and are probably the audio equivalent of the lag you get between the VW screens from time to time when doing things (which is much improved in 2.0, but not entirely eliminated yet).

Maybe if the general speed of the software improves again overall when 2.1 is available, that'll sort it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, this is still happening in 2.1 and is now maybe the only remaining thing I don't love about the ID.3 experience.* At first I thought maybe it was happening a little less at least in 2.1, but after more use I don't think there's been any change from 2.0 with this issue.

As well as the audio stuttering, I've noticed Apple Carplay screens are really laggy if you're trying to scroll through a list, like a list of music or something like that.

Problem is, it's hard to know whether this is an Apple problem or a VW problem. I've googled the problem, and plenty of people on the internet report similar issues on other cars, which suggests maybe it is an Apple problem. But on the other hand, those reports all seem to be on older versions of iOS (Apple's phone software), and there aren't a lot of reports if any of it happening on the current version, iOS 14, with other cars.

Is anyone else on 2.1 able to listen to music through Apple Carplay without audio stutters every so often? I'd say it is on average 1-2 times per song for me. If so, what music service do you use? Like, Spotify, Apple Music, etc.?

*(before anyone says "rear speakers?" I don't think I'll bother upgrading rear speakers until this fault is fixed, because the music stuttering is so annoying that I'd be annoyed whether I had better overall speaker sound quality or not)

·
Premium Member
6,645 Posts
Yes, I get the occasional brief pause/stutter in Apple Music on CarPlay, but only in wireless mode.

If I plug the phone (iPhone 12) in via the cable to a USB port, no stuttering.

Which is a shame, as I’ve recently retrofitted wireless charging, but I’m not that fussed to plug it in to avoid any stutters.

I definitely don’t get it as frequently as once or twice a track though, more like a stutter every other track at most, and very brief so doesn’t bother me unduly.

There are so many phone/streaming service variations though, might be tricky to pin down? Does it still happen on yours with downloaded tracks as opposed to streaming?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I get the occasional brief pause/stutter in Apple Music on CarPlay, but only in wireless mode.

If I plug the phone (iPhone 12) in via the cable to a USB port, no stuttering.

Which is a shame, as I’ve recently retrofitted wireless charging, but I’m not that fussed to plug it in to avoid any stutters.

I definitely don’t get it as frequently as once or twice a track though, more like a stutter every other track at most, and very brief so doesn’t bother me unduly.

There are so many phone/streaming service variations though, might be tricky to pin down? Does it still happen on yours with downloaded tracks as opposed to streaming?
I found no difference when I plugged in, but the phone had already connected wirelessly so it might not have been using the wired connection. How do you force it to use the wired connection, is there a menu option I've missed?

Yeah, this is why I think it might just be a case of living with it and hoping that a software update (phone or car) at some point cures it... I mean, is it the car? Is it the phone? Is it the streaming service I'm using on the phone? etc. Not going to be an easy one to diagnose.

I use Apple Music and it happens with songs I'm streaming and songs downloaded to the phone.

It's also the scrolling thing. Wired CarPlay in previous cars was really smooth for scrolling down lists of songs and suchlike, but the wireless CarPlay in the ID.3 for me is almost unusable for doing something like that if it's a long list.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
is it the car?
If you're on good terms with your local VW dealership (let's be honest, they probably want to stay on your good side at the moment), you could ask if you could try it in a few of their other cars to see if it has problems in all of them, just ID3s or just your ID3. If you want to broaden your experiment, the cheeky option is book a load of extended/lifestyle test drives in different cars so you have a bit of time to play with it.

·
Premium Member
6,645 Posts
I found no difference when I plugged in, but the phone had already connected wirelessly so it might not have been using the wired connection. How do you force it to use the wired connection, is there a menu option I've missed?

Yeah, this is why I think it might just be a case of living with it and hoping that a software update (phone or car) at some point cures it... I mean, is it the car? Is it the phone? Is it the streaming service I'm using on the phone? etc. Not going to be an easy one to diagnose.

I use Apple Music and it happens with songs I'm streaming and songs downloaded to the phone.

It's also the scrolling thing. Wired CarPlay in previous cars was really smooth for scrolling down lists of songs and suchlike, but the wireless CarPlay in the ID.3 for me is almost unusable for doing something like that if it's a long list.
I’m not aware of a setting to force wired CarPlay, but I find if I plug in straight away then it seems to connect via that.

I might look into it a bit more, there may be other ways to force it. 🙂👍

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m not aware of a setting to force wired CarPlay, but I find if I plug in straight away then it seems to connect via that.

I might look into it a bit more, there may be other ways to force it. 🙂👍
Turn off the wireless on the phone?

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
I find I get drop outs with apple music on my phone when I'm listening through Bluetooth headphones at home and work, and occasionally when on the WiFi at home. It's not every song but it does happen.
I thought that was a 'feature' of streamed music.

I'm not having much success with android auto full stop. My phone doesn't support wireless AA and trying to get it working with a cable isn't straight forward.
I haven't used it to listen to music so don't know if it's any worse for drop outs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The stuttering is definitely a VW ID3 issue. I had wireless car play in my last car, it worked faultlessly for 3 years with my current phone (iPhone 11 pro max) and my previous iPhone.

I do hope the stuttering gets fixed

·
Premium Member
6,645 Posts
Turn off the wireless on the phone?
It’s a Bluetooth connection to CarPlay isn’t it? I find that if I plug the phone in, then it seems to use that connection anyway.

I haven’t been too interested in it all to be honest, I tend to listen to the radio and only have the phone plugged in for podcasts and receiving phone calls or messages.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It’s a Bluetooth connection to CarPlay isn’t it? I find that if I plug the phone in, then it seems to use that connection anyway.
Is it? I thought someone said it used wifi. Anyway, airplane mode will turn both off ;)

I don’t have the luxury so can’t test - was just making the suggestion in case it helped pinpoint the issue.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts