Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Interesting quote from that...

""One car manufacturer has told me that [wireless car charging] is a 10 year game for them. They predict that about 50% of their vehicles will have an electric power train in the next 10 years and they seriously doubt by then any of those will be plug ins.""

10% losses sounds good, but for £30 a year I'm happy to plug in.

The good thing about a system like this though is it could avoid plug issues for multi-EV families and completely diverts the compatibility issue of cars having different plugs.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they do make out its a great hassle to plug in. mmm really? not that much of a hassle.

I think this is more useful for charging when you are out and about, or parked for instance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The good thing about a system like this though is it could avoid plug issues for multi-EV families and completely diverts the compatibility issue of cars having different plugs.
Sounds like you've got an exceedingly high expectation of of car manufactures working together for a common standard. Unless, you mean it completely diverts the compatibility issue of cars having different plugs to the comparability issues of cars needing different specification charging mats ;)

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
And I would imagine that some might find it just as time consuming to manoeuvre their car into position as they did plugging in. Although, i suppose once they're done they can just get in and drive off...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe I'm too cynical, but I imagine that someone will develop a good way to do things. Then someone else will make a better way that doesn't work with the good way. Someone else will make a cheaper way, which does work along side the good way. But then the people that designed the good way will sue the cheaper way people over patent infringement. By which time everyone else has agreed on the best plug standard :D

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
And I would imagine that some might find it just as time consuming to manoeuvre their car into position as they did plugging in. Although, i suppose once they're done they can just get in and drive off...
I imagine if you don't park correctly it will be less efficient? Or will it not let you charge until you're "set square". Sounds like it could be more tricky than just plugging in anyway.

·
Registered
654 Posts
One solution that's being tested is for the car to park itself over the plate.
Another is a readout telling you how well positioned and hints on which way to go.

Another problem (other than the faff and compatibility) is that you "have" to park in the perfect spot in the bay. What happens when the car in the other bay is over your side a bit etc? You can't park a bit over in your bay to compensate.

I like cables, they're efficient, flexible, easier to use and a heck of a lot cheaper.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
Unfortunately, it is more likely that wireless charging becomes available in the next few years than uber fast charging, if only because it's already available for other battery operated devices. But pluging in is no big deal.

For me the real breakthrough, even if range didn't change, would be ability to full charge in minutes. It would make owning an EV and fully rely on public charging possible for those without a private parking space, i.e. most city dwellers for whom range is not so much of a concern.

·
Registered
585 Posts
After having the BMW wireless charging video, where you need to use the Sat Nav to align the car over the charger, it seem a bit rubbish... If it's an expensive optional extra, is only 90% efficient and it take longer than plugging in a cable...

I can't see it catching on in its current form. Some kind of 'active' base may fix that, but would only add even more to the cost. However if it could auto align itself (to within say 12") and raise the height of the pad so it's in contact with the receiver in the car to lower losses to 1-2%, it may take off...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts