Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a wireless charging pad that fits in the phone slot while still allowing room for a phone & works properly from the USB sockets? As the 1st Edition doesn't have the wireless charging I'm planning to have one in the car at least as a temporary measure until someone brighter/braver than me comes up with a retrofit option.

I have one that I was planning to use, but for some reason it doesn't work in the car. It flashes on & off every two seconds when plugged in. I suspect it may be because it's a 15w pad and is drawing too much current from the USB.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
310 Posts
Edited from my reply on another post:

I have a Spigen F302W, it is a discontinued model which I picked it up as used on eBay.

The reasons I went for that particular pad:

1. It fits the width and height of the phone slot - I have it mounted part-way up the slot with some sticky pads
2. It is powered by a removable Micro-USB plug - I use a USB-C > Micro-USB lead to power it, and not have to use a USB-C adapter (many slim pads have a built-in lead with old-style USB plug)
3. It is only 4mm thick - I would have had to remove my iPhone case each time if the pad was much thicker

It was the second pad I tried, the first was 8mm thick so although it ticked the first 2 boxes above it failed my last requirement.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
310 Posts
There is a guy on a UK ID3 group on Facebook who bought a wiring loom and 3D printed a holder for it which replaces a panel that sits behind the phone slot rubber - he bought some cabling and routed it directly to the fuse box.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found that thread & read through it, thanks. I think that's a bit more than I want to attempt at the moment! I do have a 3D printer but I'm not keen on running wires through the car. Will keep looking for a suitable pad for the time being.

Will have a look in the daylight to see if there's any way to run a USB cable from one of the sockets & just have a pad plugged in behind that printed plate. That would do for now, I won't be needing to use the sockets for anything else, so it doesn't matter if I use one & shut the lid on it...

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
310 Posts
Yeah it was beyond my skill and knowledge to attempt anything like the “behind the scenes” version!

From the investigation that guy did, there is no easy way to take power from the board that has the USB sockets on it, and the other challenge you might have with what you’re thinking is the distance between the wiring loom and phone.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of just plugging in a USB cable to the sockets directly behind the slot, but trying to route it below and underneath the trim to behind the blank panel (where the charger is on the other models). I suspect it may not be that easy as there probably aren't any gaps, but will have a look later.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
310 Posts
That’s where mine is plugged in, with just enough cable just popping out from under the roller cover into the top of the pad, I haven‘t made any attempt yet at making it more discreet though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts