Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I have a ROLEC wallpod type 1 tethered. Just got a new Mini Countryman EV and wanted to convert to Type 2 Tethered (and a 10m, not a 5 M Cable). I spoke to Rolec and was advised to order :
EVPL0091 - 10m Type 2 Tethered Cable,
EVRS0020 - Type 2 Holster
BUL1049A WallPod Blank Pod Plate.

All arrived today, but a little confused as to what to do with the PP and CP control wires on the Type 2 Cable, as the current type 1 cable only has a single red control cable. I had researched the swap and it look straightforward, but somehow missed the fact that the Type 2 has an additional control wire.

Any advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Type 2 and Type 1 have exactly the same Control Pilot and Proximity Pilot configuration.

Was your Rolec a 7kW rated charger. Is, are you trying to update the charger?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, 32A wallpod with tethered type 1 - only 4 connections, 3 power and 1 cp

replacement cable (ordered from onestopev using the rolec code EVPL0091 has 3 power but 2 control lines - cp and pp....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should have said not updating any of the internals - they look in good order with no signs of ageing/overheating etc - just a cable swap was what I planned...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Ok, if no change in rating and new cable is 32A (6mm2 cores), then connect CP as before and fold back the redundant PP core and tape and insulate away from other terminations.

Note, PP used at car end and at charger end for untethered ONLY.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Ignore the PP it's used at the car end only, Wire in the CP cable. For some reason replacement cables come with 5 cores.
I see @freddym got there first

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
My untethered type 1 cables only use 4 cores.
Found this when I had a failed cable at a weekend took it apart, discovered the CP open circuit, then used the other wire in the cable which was not in use to fix it.
It seems PP is wiring in the car end plug to tell the car something is there and if the cable is 16 or 32 amp.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,178 Posts
We've just swapped my untethered type 2 to tethered using the cable from my daughter's tethered unit as she has done your swap in reverse. She has changed her Zoe for a 30 kWh Leaf (long story). In my untethered unit there were 2 'pilot' (very thin) cables but on the tethered cable the one in the cable had been snipped off level with the edge of the cable outer. We were in quite a quandary how to get my charger to work when we found out a resistor was used instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
£156 delivered for the 10m Type 2 cable, blanking plate and the holster to hold the plug. As the holster base is wider than the panel on the Wallpod, the blanking play maks a flush surface. Havent installed yet, but the holes on the socket and blanking plate match up, so I'm hoping it will all match up when I take the type 1 holster off...

I'm not 100% convinced its a genuine ROLEC plug though as its all black and all the ones I have seen before are the usual white/black mix - I'm checking with ROLEC before installing...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Rolec have their plug design/supplier to a cheaper all black design. Harder to assemble. No such thing as a genuine Rolec plug, they just buy them in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, another quck question - did you guys crimp your new cables, or just install the stripped cable ?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
When you say crimping, presumably you mean a bootlace crimp made with a hand operated crimper???
Actual connection is a screwed terminal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts