Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Accepting some of us seem to like clubs - 100 mile club, 200 mile club, mile high club, etc, - suggesting a WLTP Range Club open to any EV driver.

To be clear - that is achieving the WLTP range for your EV with one full charge (no recharge). Suggesting other guidelines as:
  • Achieve the WLTP range of your vehicle and post a picture of evidence (if possible)
  • May be done over one day, one journey, or multi journeys and days
  • Start and finish at roughly the same altitude
  • Downwind blasts in storms is frowned upon
  • Drafting your friends van for 200 miles is similarly discouraged
  • Excessive modification of vehicles (fishtails etc) questionable (but would be interesting to see)
  • Summer, winter, fine, snow, wet, wind, km, miles, Alaska, Sahara - all welcome
  • Posting of estimated GOM range does not count, needs to be driven and achieved
  • (Edited) to save on demand for flatbed trucks, WLTP - 5% is OK if at least the missing mileage is displayed on the GOM

Hoping this will apply for all variants of BEV & PHEV. Might be interesting to see if this can be achieved by some manufacturers more than others. In my experience it is harder to achieve than one may think, but happy to be corrected. I am ready to post my attempt from yesterday of course.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Pics on the back of a flatbed truck accepted? I think maybe it’d be safer for a ‘WLTP-10%’ club which might encourage some people to have a crack rather than having to run to empty which will be too risky for many

·
Registered
557 Posts
Nice idea, could you modify it to allow a gom projection for say last 5% ? As you say it can be quite hard to match wltp and almost by definition getting the full range is marginal.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'll bite! No idea what WLTP is for Ampera, it predates that nonsense by years, but this is what 10.4 kWh can get you!
2 trips on 2 days at Fully Charged show, travelling from friends house early a.m. return evening. Slowly! 2nd trip the ICE started up just as I crawled up the driveway! So 0 miles done on petrol.
So that's 5.7 m/kWh for the rest of you to beat!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mmmm.... an interesting idea in principle, but open to abuse & cheating I fear, particularly hybrids who could easily artificially manipulate results.

I saw recently that the MG owners club are holding a monthly "competition" for the best consumption figure over 100 miles (or could be 200, I'm not certain).

How it works is that you submit a pic of your 'reset' trip display at the beginning of the month. After completion of the 100 miles (or whatever the criteria is) you submit a second pic of the trip display confirming the 100 miles covered showing the average consumption figure for that journey. The person who has the lowest consumption (highest miles/kWh) wins a small prize.

It seems a fair way of doing it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To demonstrate, here is my claim. Completed in an ID.3 with a 58 kWh battery which has a WTLP range of 263 miles. Was on an essential journey in Scotland and the temperatures ranged from -2 to 6 deg. East coast to west coast and most of the back. I am open to permitting WLTP range - 5% as long as the GOM is showing the equivalent additional range. No more than 5% however. Getting to the WLTP range was a bit nerve-wracking, I will admit.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
(Warning, PHEV alert)

Managed this earlier in the week in my GTE on pure electric power (which is reported as 300mpg) on mixed country (40-60 mph) and town (roadworks...) driving. The drive was a round trip from my house in the middle of nowhere into the nearby city and back again. Picture is from We Connect, rather than from the car.

WLTP city range is 38 miles and combined range is 35 miles. Battery pack is 13kWh with 10kWh usable, so 4.2mi/kWh should in theory give me a range of 42 miles. I didn't test actual range, because the EV range ended up being longer than my journey.

Charger recorded 7.68kW drawn during the charge following this journey, which at 4.2mi/kWh would be 32 miles, so it looks like I've lost about 1kW to losses, balancing and general inaccuracies and lies. Using the power recorded by the charger, I did 28 miles / 7.68kW = 3.6mi/kW, so that should still give me a range of 36 miles, which is slightly better than the combined WLTP.

This one is very much the exception so far, over winter, I was getting maybe 23 miles before it went flat. We'll see what summer brings.

·
Registered
373 Posts
To demonstrate, here is my claim. Completed in an ID.3 with a 58 kWh battery which has a WTLP range of 263 miles. Was on an essential journey in Scotland and the temperatures ranged from -2 to 6 deg. East coast to west coast and most of the back. I am open to permitting WLTP range - 5% as long as the GOM is showing the equivalent additional range. No more than 5% however. Getting to the WLTP range was a bit nerve-wracking, I will admit.

View attachment 142965
Wow, in those temperatures, I’d say that’s pretty remarkable - well done. It’s really encouraging to see what’s possible, even in cold temperatures

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts

View attachment 142965
Well done!

Can you reveal the lengths you had to go to? Or is that a trade secret?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you reveal the lengths you had to go to? Or is that a trade secret?
This should be quite a good sport, especially as travel restrictions begin to ease.

So yes I am willing to give a few hints.
  • Travel when the roads are quiet or you may not be popular
  • Watch speed (aerodynamic form drag is your enemy of course)
  • Have milestones along the way. Difficult to make up range if you get behind the plan.
  • Tyres inflated appropriately (of course)
  • Reduce weight (serious - I took out the floor mats and charging cable)
  • Ventilation is OK, but not with using the HVAC system
  • Hills are OK, I did plenty, but need to recover all the energy as you go down
  • Choose a light wind day, or be mainly downwind
+ a few more secrets I will keep

Good luck to all. When achieved you can add it to your signature.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'll reveal a few of those secrets for you!

1) Pull over when a Tractor catches up with you, onto the verge, then slipstream it as far as the next field/wherever it's going!

2) If eating an apple on the way and you arrive at the top of a hill as you finish it, wait until you get to the bottom of the hill before throwing the core into a hedge. You will have got extra regen energy saving by waiting!

3) If you feel the need to break wind, open the rear windows first & break out the cigarette lighter. A bit of jet-propulsion helps!

Happy to help! :)

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,533 Posts
44887731-2854-41D0-B45D-4FF9277B9F3D.png

Renault Zoe R110 ZE40 WLTP 186 miles so beat it by 75 miles with 4% SoC remaining.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,533 Posts
That is impressive. And the average speed makes my speed seem reasonable.
Mine was done over a period of 10 days during my normal routine. City driving in London, so 12mph is quite good!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
Mine was done over a period of 10 days during my normal routine. City driving in London, so 12mph is quite good!
I think the average speed in Londinium was faster during Roman times.

Great times, I’m sure many of our members will agree?

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
314 Posts
I've posted this before on the Zoe forums, but I managed a full 25% over the 2018 Zoe ZE40's WLTP range on a test last August:

Not quite as high as @E7EV's feat above, but well over twice the average speed! Started and finished at home, midpoint destination was ~100 miles away in Telford.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Obviously it cannot be done at the moment due to the obvious (might be better to open this “contest” when lockdown is well and truly over), but we did get this during a run from Norfolk to Cornwall two years ago, charged after a 181 mile stretch, not too bad from a 94ah REX i3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts