Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for Gen 1 owners - do you observe a poor correlation between how much charge is in the battery with what the GoM and Bars on the gauge/dash show ?

Today, i had 19 miles on GoM and three bars. When i connected to a rapid charger it indicated i had 41% SoC and Leafspy came in at 42%.

So, i'd guess that the battery had about 40% SoC - but how/why were so few bars showing on the dash ? I thought that the software/measurement for GoM and bars was different ?

Latest stats are; 78% SoH, about 20k miles, 2012 reg, previously owned by Perth council and seemingly well looked after.

I've been trying to source a LeafDD - so that i can have an accurate view of the SoC (other than trying to mess with LeafSpy while driving). There's a 110 mile journey i'd like to do, with a rapid halfway (and other rapid options at 1/3 and 2/3rd of the distance - A1 between Edinburgh and Newcastle). I've done it with two rapid charges, but want to do it with 1 (and a quite well loaded car). Yeah, i know i should just put up with two rapids, and not try the squeaky bum/little option if middle rapid busy or out of service...

So, is the GoM and battery gauge run off the same data/software ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Two rapids 'may' be quicker than the one single. But 110 with a single charge should be well doable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, basically it's the same here.
At high values of SOC the GoM is rather optimistic, while at low values it's pretty pessimistic.
In the middle it's almost accurate.
Definitly a non linearity I'd say, biased in opposite ways if high or low.
Also the GoM estimate depends heavily on your recent consumption rate.
Leafspy looks more accurate overall.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i'm unimpressed that the bars are so inaccurate, and would like to find some alternative way of estimating charge in battery - does anyone know of an alternative to the LeafDD (or LeafSpy) ?

For the Newcastle run, i can appreciate that 2 20 minute rapids will likely put more into the battery than one 40 minute rapid halfway. However, there's the additional miles and time that the detours to the rapids take...(and double the chance one will be in use). I suppose i'll just have to save up for a 30kw second-hand battery upgrade, or a Tesla. Sigh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As an alternative to Leafspy this one app is very handy:

a bit pricey and requires a Google API key though.

ABRP is ok as well

For the battery swap have a look at what MUXSAN, a dutch small company, has to offer, not cheap, again

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
As it stands you can upgrade to the whole newer 30kWh car with a battery warranty and dealer support for less than the cost of upgrading to a 30kWh battery or a small range extender. Not to mention Delph is a long way from Scotland.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I no longer stress over the GOM or bar displays. Over time I have worked out a correlation between the percentage charge (toggle the page display to show the percentage) and the miles I can actually get in real life. In my case it's conservatively about 1.12 miles per 1% point. On Sunday I did a circular drive from Bournemouth University to Shaftesbury, Salisbury then home a total of 110.9 miles. I did a quick 15 min top-up at Tesco in Shaftesbury while the wife did some shopping on a 7kw podpoint. By the time I got back to Bournemouth Hospital, the 16mile dire warning was flashing from the dash. I made it home with 14% charge and the GOM reading 12 miles.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,157 Posts
A question for Gen 1 owners - do you observe a poor correlation between how much charge is in the battery with what the GoM and Bars on the gauge/dash show ?

Today, i had 19 miles on GoM and three bars. When i connected to a rapid charger it indicated i had 41% SoC and Leafspy came in at 42%.

So, i'd guess that the battery had about 40% SoC - but how/why were so few bars showing on the dash ? I thought that the software/measurement for GoM and bars was different ?

Latest stats are; 78% SoH, about 20k miles, 2012 reg, previously owned by Perth council and seemingly well looked after.

I've been trying to source a LeafDD - so that i can have an accurate view of the SoC (other than trying to mess with LeafSpy while driving). There's a 110 mile journey i'd like to do, with a rapid halfway (and other rapid options at 1/3 and 2/3rd of the distance - A1 between Edinburgh and Newcastle). I've done it with two rapid charges, but want to do it with 1 (and a quite well loaded car). Yeah, i know i should just put up with two rapids, and not try the squeaky bum/little option if middle rapid busy or out of service...

So, is the GoM and battery gauge run off the same data/software ?
You’ll probably struggle to do it with one rapid charge in that car anyways going by the SOH and the fact that you’ll have a decent load in the car. Unless you were trying to charge all the way to full at a rapid charger, dropping you speed a bit and using the climate controls sparingly then I wouldn’t count on it. Its probably faster to stop twice too rather than trying to squeeze in a 100% charge and holding others up in the process too.

The earlier LEAFs are terrible when it comes to the bottom end of the battery. The ones I have driven will drop nice and steady to about 25% and then the range estimate will just plummet you can watch it tick down at an alarming rate sometimes. Plug in to a rapid charger and it may tell you there’s 2% left or if may tell you there’s 20+% left.

Making full use of the battery does sometimes help improve the accuracy if you can get the battery right down to the turtle then AC charge it to 100% it seems to read a little more accurately for a month or so but then seems to go back to its old ways.

I’m regularly up and down that stretch of the A1. If you get waved at by a white 16 plate LEAF or find one at one of the chargers up in Berwick it’s probably me!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an alternative to Leafspy this one app is very handy:

a bit pricey and requires a Google API key though.

ABRP is ok as well

For the battery swap have a look at what MUXSAN, a dutch small company, has to offer, not cheap, again

Thanks - alas i've an iPhone - have found an OS version of ABRP - but don't see one for the Leaf power app. Maybe the developer will do an Apple version... Also, it's in Italian and sold in Canadian dollars ? Odd combination...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You’ll probably struggle to do it with one rapid charge in that car anyways going by the SOH and the fact that you’ll have a decent load in the car. Unless you were trying to charge all the way to full at a rapid charger, dropping you speed a bit and using the climate controls sparingly then I wouldn’t count on it. Its probably faster to stop twice too rather than trying to squeeze in a 100% charge and holding others up in the process too.

The earlier LEAFs are terrible when it comes to the bottom end of the battery. The ones I have driven will drop nice and steady to about 25% and then the range estimate will just plummet you can watch it tick down at an alarming rate sometimes. Plug in to a rapid charger and it may tell you there’s 2% left or if may tell you there’s 20+% left.

Making full use of the battery does sometimes help improve the accuracy if you can get the battery right down to the turtle then AC charge it to 100% it seems to read a little more accurately for a month or so but then seems to go back to its old ways.

I’m regularly up and down that stretch of the A1. If you get waved at by a white 16 plate LEAF or find one at one of the chargers up in Berwick it’s probably me!
I've done it each way once - when i first bought the car, and then left it at my in-laws for a while. The car is immaculate, and i don't need this extra range very often (and can use the train...). It's just a shame there's not a bit more in the battery for this particular journey. I suppose that the two stop option will need to remain the only/best way. Unless i can find a better battery from a scrapyard, and feel bold enough to try a switch myself. About 400kg (?) and lethal voltage. What could possibly go wrong ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
About 400kg (?) and lethal voltage. What could possibly go wrong ?
Don't even think about it!
Aside from being extremely dangerous it won't work.
The swapped battery requires a re-pairing that only Nissan can do, or some guy with expertize like MUXSAN; the new interface alone costs around 1000$.
Here you go for your curiosity:

also check what these guys have to offer:

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Don't even think about it!
Aside from being extremely dangerous it won't work.
The swapped battery requires a re-pairing that only Nissan can do, or some guy with expertize like MUXSAN; the new interface alone costs around 1000$.
Here you go for your curiosity:

also check what these guys have to offer:

It's only dangerous if you don't follow the instructions. :unsure: And re-pairing using the same pack type and the EVs enhanced route is relatively simple and under £500. The issue currently is the price that the breakers feel that the packs are worth makes it uneconomic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts