Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that's just flaming marvellous! Fully charged overnight to 100% as well.

Anyway, ordered a replacement tyre at my local tyre fitters (five miles away) so tomorrow when they call me in for fitting I will use the sealant kit and inflate the tyre for the short journey..

Has anyone used the sealant kit before, anything I should look out for?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,156 Posts
Mine didn’t have a kit, it came with the AirStop tyres fitted.

I plugged my puncture using a ‘worm’ kit, it was right in the middle of the tread.

I tried the tyre weld stuff at first, that didn’t work.

It really depends on the puncture.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
Are you sure it needs a new tyre? Where's the hole?

Does it hold air for any period (like to drive 5 miles)?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Where's the puncture? Might be repairable but many places won't touch it for repair once it's been gunked. If its a slowish puncture (pump it up and see how much air it loses over 30 mins) I'd drive it to the garage without gunking it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've had 3 on mine now, never had one in the 10 years before it. One needed a new tyre and the other 2 were plugged.

Contiseal tyres so no repair kit. Worked once(ish) with a slow puncture, the other 2 went flat pretty quickly.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you have Bridgestones and you need a new tyre, you might want to buy 2 of so.ething else because those Bridgestones are crap in the Summer, they'll be woeful in the Winter.

I'm fully prepared to bin our Bridgestones for some Goodyears or Michelins in the Winter if they prove every bit as crap as I expect them to be (lots of prior experience with Golf's and Polo's fitted with the dreaded Flintstones from the factory).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Goodyears on mine. Found the culprit, poxy small screw in the tread. Just pumped it up using the compressor and reset the tyre pressure monitor. Will see how long it holds pressure for and just drive it down there, carefully. Might be worth getting another tyre anyway and keeping one for spare, as long as they can repair this one.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
Should be able to repair as long as it's not too close to the sidewall.

·
Registered
442 Posts
£10 at the ‘local’ tyre place in Levenshulme (patch inside). I’d always avoid the major chains for a puncture repair. If it’s anywhere near where they’re not supposed to fix them - they’ll play that card to make you buy a new one. £££

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,156 Posts
If you have Bridgestones and you need a new tyre, you might want to buy 2 of so.ething else because those Bridgestones are crap in the Summer, they'll be woeful in the Winter.

I'm fully prepared to bin our Bridgestones for some Goodyears or Michelins in the Winter if they prove every bit as crap as I expect them to be (lots of prior experience with Golf's and Polo's fitted with the dreaded Flintstones from the factory).
As somebody who drove on Bridgestone’s throughout last winter, they weren’t that bad.

I used a pair of snow socks in the snow, they were brilliant, but I didn’t ever think they were terrible tyres driving in the wet and cold.

Certainly not worth binning early for anyway, I’ve just done 16k miles, and rotated them a couple of thousand miles ago so I’ll be lucky to get much over 20k out of them.

I’m eyeing some Continentals or Goodyears next though, or perhaps some All Season jobs.

·
Registered
886 Posts
As somebody who drove on Bridgestone’s throughout last winter, they weren’t that bad.

I used a pair of snow socks in the snow, they were brilliant, but I didn’t ever think they were terrible tyres driving in the wet and cold.

Certainly not worth binning early for anyway, I’ve just done 16k miles, and rotated them a couple of thousand miles ago so I’ll be lucky to get much over 20k out of them.

I’m eyeing some Continentals or Goodyears next though, or perhaps some All Season jobs.
I've never needed snow socks, all my driving is done on major, well salted roads and being right at the coast helps too. Bridgestones are pretty poor in the Summer, and terrible in the Winter - they're a really hard compound.

FWD tramping isn't an issue with the RWD ID3, but they occasionally feel a bit twitchy in the Summer on the back. First sign that they'll be iffy in the Winter, I'll have some Michelins/Goodyears on. Contis are too soft, they last no time at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts