Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Any death on the roads is unfortunate. The fact that the cyclist didn't stick around makes it worse, and sadly this incident will merely stir up more anti-cycling comments especially from the likes of the Daily Wail.

It's odd though the way something like this gets flagged up prompting calls for more legislation against cyclists, and yet the 1,700 other deaths each year caused by motorised traffic are viewed as acceptable.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,059 Posts
Bicycles need a noise generator for pedestrians to hear. Obvious.

Reactions: cah197

·
27,059 Posts
So easy to make as well, all you need is a clothes peg and a bit of cardboard ;)
I recall seeing that done to someone's Chevy Volt on youtube!!

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
They’re all on headphones looking at their smart phones, so they wouldn’t notice it over the sound of their ‘The Wire’ box set.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
For some perspective:

"Department for Transport figures show that 29 pedestrians were killed in collisions involving cyclists between 2007 and 2016 - only 0.6% of total casualties on UK roads."

and:

the shocking statistics that since 2010, 38 riders and 222 horses have been killed in accidents on Britain’s roads

Ban horses! Ban Bicycles! Ban pedestrians!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Bicycles need a noise generator for pedestrians to hear. Obvious.
Get on the ball Donald, you are way behind.

It's been a legal requirement for all new bicycles to be fitted with a noise generator for many years, I'm sure you already knew that though.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I'm always amazed at the number of people walking/cycling around who are quite happy to trust other people with their safety, personally I wouldn't trust a soul:rolleyes:
Assume everyone else is an idiot and out to kill you.....

I used to teach my kids when crossing the road that's up to them to ensure its safe to cross, don't trust anyone else, even adults make mistakes.

·
27,059 Posts
Get on the ball Donald, you are way behind.

It's been a legal requirement for all new bicycles to be fitted with a noise generator for many years, I'm sure you already knew that though.
Which operates all the time below 18mph?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Which operates all the time below 18mph?
It's a more advanced system than that. It uses bifocal light sensors coupled with an intelligent*, self aware and self learning data processing unit to detect when pedestrians are in proximity to active the noise generator. The system is portable and can even be powered by a varity of energy sources although there have been concerns about the units high consumption of the dangerous and sometimes deadly chemical dihydrogen monoxide.

* Initial trials have shown the downside of intelligent data processing. SImiliar to the rise of AI robots deciding to exterminate humans, the trials have shown that the intelligent data processing unit has on occasions decided the most efficient process is to remove the noise generator, or has decided that statistically, it is overall better to not waste energy on activating the sound generator and accept the occasional human casualty.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The reason he’s legged it is possibly because he’s fitted it with a larger electric motor than is legal in the U.K. Effectively driving an unlicenced, unregistered, untaxed, uninsured motorbike. There are more of these thing appearing on the streets to get around the associated costs of motoring with riders thinking they’ll never be stopped as it’s pretty impossible to detect without an actual stop and search.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
The reason he’s legged it is possibly because he’s fitted it with a larger electric motor than is legal in the U.K. Effectively driving an unlicenced, unregistered, untaxed, uninsured motorbike. There are more of these thing appearing on the streets to get around the associated costs of motoring with riders thinking they’ll never be stopped as it’s pretty impossible to detect without an actual stop and search.
I doubt it's a different motor, but you can get a simple de-restriction device which ups the power to allow speeds up to 28 mph.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts