Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

plugged in the new Ampera for its first charge, all green on the charging unit / cable green on the dash an one blip ... 30 mins later light goes out... unplug and replug and get an orange light and no charging

any ideas ?

Chris

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Is that using the supplied cable from the boot?

Have you tried on 6A?

Have you checcked the timers to make sure they aren't kicking in?

You have probably done these things already in which just ignore me :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

It appears the inboard charge control unit is faulty, unfortunately there are non in the UK so it has to be shipped in. This also caused other faults.

The current target to get the car back is Friday 25th May, 11 days after it was taken to the dealer.

Hopefully then I can actually get to drive it !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really hope it's worth the wait, they have had the car for 12 days now ( I have had it for 1 day !)

Given its such an expensive car I am not very impressed at all

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 weeks after getting the car, it's finally back, it's been on charge overnight and it worked !

Now for the commute to the office, it's 37 miles for to door so let's see !

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
How did it go? You'd have to do a steady 70 for that distance but should be more than possible.

I think the delay is the price we pay for being in the very first batch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today's news ... Broken again

Very unhappy

Very unimpressed

Waiting for dealer to collect

So far owned it 16 days, in the garage 14 and let's see how long this time

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Agreed... if it were anything else it would be replaced but that never happens with a car.

I wonder if you could reject it as not of reasonable quality?

Is that the sale of good act?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry to hear of your on going problems with charging your ampera.
If the problem is the charging unit then surely the garage could replace it straight away. If its on the car side, not so sure on that one but can appreciate your justifiable concern.
Hope you get a quick solution.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Ampera, you would think a loan car would be the least they could do !!
Maybe a call direct to Luton might gee them up, not sure if this is the number

Call us: 0844 369 0112
Email us: [email protected]
Write to us: Griffin House, UK1-101-135 Osborne Road, Luton, Bedfordshire LU1 3YT

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick Update

The car is beyond the dealer now and its on its way to Vauxhall main site in Luton for investigations.

I am back driving a Prius - they didnt offer me a substitute Ampera to drive.

To be honest I am beyond it with this car - I can't drive an electric car that keeps giving Electrical System Malfunction warnings - I have owned the car since 14th May and have had 1 full day with no issues.

Sad really

Chris

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have to be honest Chris... I am hugely disappointed that they haven't offered you a replacement until yours if fixed. It shows a certain lack of customer focus especially as it is a new model and new tech. You would imagine they would do anything to avoid bad publicity.

I think we should all be raising your profile in the media over this. I shall start to shout about it on twitter and else where and I urge everyone else to do the same.

The problem itself is bad enough but could happen to any of us with this new model but it is how they, Vauxhall, handle it that is the real issue here for me.

Vauxhall, you disappoint me.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
On the radio this morning they were talking about the latest JD Power results. The good news is that Vauxhall are higher up the rankings than previously. The bad news is they only managed to climb enough to be 2nd from bottom. (As I'm buying a Volt rather than an Ampera I would be tempted to crow here except the manufacturer they pushed into bottom place is Chevrolet).

Reliability is only part of the JD Power survey: customer service is also a large part of it and really Vauxhall and Chevrolet both need to ask themselves why they're languishing at the bottom of the table.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Doesn't the JD Power survey look at cars over 3 years old? Volt / Ampera may well drag them up the rankings. This one is an anomaly on the evidence so far.

As for the subject of this thread: Let's look at this with a cool head:

- We have the first batch of these cars in the country. It's reasonable to expect a delay in ramping up spare parts inventories.
- There will also be a learning curve for mechanics who are dealing with the high voltage electrics for the first time (yes, despite training it often takes experience to quickly diagnose faults in any system) and indeed for Vauxhall UK.
- There may well be no readily-available loaners until the next ship arrives.

I have an issue with my car - albeit not as fundamental as not charging - but I am waiting until the next batch of parts comes in from Detroit to get it fixed. I'm not crowing about it.

I knew the above would be a risk when I put the cash down to get one of the first cars in the country. If this kind of stuff bothers you then don't be a trail-blazer. Wait for others to do it for you.

I think it is right to suggest that Vauxhall offers a loaner (as I said above). However, do we know the full circumstances? Suggesting that Vauxhall gets the situation sorted is one thing - and I don't believe they aren't doing what they can given the service I have received - but firing material all over twitter for the haters to use is quite another. I noticed the OP waited less than a day before feeding the trolls.

I'd suggest that if we want to build this forum up and generally receive Vauxhall's blessing to use trademarks and the like, there are better ways to deal with this issue.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
"There may well be no readily-available loaners until the next ship arrives."

Well that just simply isn't good enough for a company that has promised a better quality of service.
How many cars were at Ecovelocity show and where are they now? How many Demo Cars are in the Vauxhall fleet? What is more important a customer or a journalists test drive? Sometimes if you apologise to the journalist and say "sorry customers come first" you actually gain credit.

Perhaps cars should not be sitting in Melton Mowbray on a forecourt with a screen price higher than retail. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Vauxhall ... 036wt_1284)

Perhaps they should offer to swap, if the car has less than 100 miles on it, and when its fixed it goes out as a demonstrator.

Poor service is not giving what has been paid for, the customer has done nothing wrong.

If it were me who had no car, and was 30k down, I'd be furious.

P.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
There are cars in the Vauxhall demo fleet in a VIN range which is not the production sequence, meaning they have to be seperately certified for public use or sale. As I said, do we know the full circumstances.

I'm not excusing the failure of the car, but there are ways an means of dealing with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.