Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The northbound ecotricity fast charger is faulty showing a Synch error. I called their number & was told the Southbound may be faulty as well. So with Wetherby and now Woolley Edge out of action probably until the ecotricity upgrades due June/July this will seriously restrict EV motoring in Yorkshire. Be aware if you are thinking of heading through our patch. Meadowhall Area 7 has 10 x 13a chargers but you will be hanging about quite a while if you are arriving with a flat battery.If you are desparate I live at Halifax and you are welcome to plug up here or you could try the fast chargers at the Nissan garages.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As mentioned Im just up the road near Lightcliffe if you get stuck for power. We had been to Meadowhall & charged up for an hour or so on their free 13a outlets (there's 8 there). Set off with 61% at 70mph to Woolley Edge only to get the bad news there so came off onto the A650 Wakefield & onto the A58 to cut a few miles off,the journey 0. Got home on two bars & 19%. I know ecotricity is free but it still meeds to work or at least put a slow charger next to the fast one so you have half a chance of getting home

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use that charger every Saturday to get from Lincoln to Leeds after first using A1 Blyth. It adds a little over ten miles to the optimum trip but enables me to have a useable range on arrival for running errands. This weekend though Blyth was also down with a ground fault error which left me with three options either carry on to Woolley Edge (N) or carry on to M18 Doncaster (both were showing as servicable on the electric highway) or play it safe and turn back to RCS at Retford to use their reliable ABB charger just like I used to before.

Sounds like I made the right call and looks like a return to the days before the electric highway for a while which is worse news for my dad's electric bill unfortunately.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have used Woolley Edge a few time and considered it to be a pretty reliable location. What is causing these failures, is it moisture? If so I was hoping it was going to get better at the weather warmed up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
They are not reporting a problem with A1 Blyth either (unless I've missed it) and I've been informing them since around 9am Saturday via the #ukcharge on twitter and have done so more than once. Tried using A1 Blyth heading North in steady rain when it ground error faulted and called in again at 1am Sunday on the return trip as it had dried up. Same issue as earlier so on to plan B.

The Electric Highway website map doesn't always reflect these issues in anything close to real time either which will only lead to some frustrated drivers - even those who always try to set out with an alternative. Not always possible to cope with multiple failures in succession.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today the ecotricity map says Wetherby is working as is Woolley Edge Southbound but northbound is still stuffed.
Has anyone tried the A64/A19 McArthur Glen Retail Park new chargers yet ? I couldnt attach our type 2 cable & had to use the 13a charger instead

·
Registered
4 Posts
Planning a trip to Backburn from Chesterfield at the weekend - anyone know if the nissan dealer in Halifax is on the ball in respect to access to their charger? Am planning to phone them in advance

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Halifax are really on the ball - ask for Ian he will help you out. They have a fast charger like the ecotricity ones plus a type 2 unit as well. best to come off at junction 24 Ainley Top and head down to Halifax. As you come up the big hill into the town there is a right turn (lights) head down towards Halifax Town FC and Nissan are on the right. If you get stuck I live near Brighouse / Hipperholme and you are welcome to top up at our house. 07946 543053

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steve and Andy - thanks very much for the useful help and info, hopefully I wont need to use your home charger but your offer is most kind. If you're ever in N.chesterfield/ s.sheffield area you can use mine 07882 065593

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its years since I went to Chesterfield, I used to look after the Hotels phone system there and I remember there was a boat yard just up the road, great place to wander around for my lunch time break ! Who would have thought there would be a boat yard so far from the sea !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts