Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having heard on the news about the opening of Worcestershire Parkway Railway Station, I looked on Zap-Map to see if there were any charging points in the car park and was glad to see that there are 13 double 22kW chargepoints. However, I note that they say the operator is an Other operator called Chargepoint. Is this a new operator (requiring yet another app or RFID card), or is it a new name for GeniePoint?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chargepoint is one of the largest manufacturers of EV chargers globally. For instance, they are the supplier often recommended by UK car dealerships for at-home charger installations. They are a US company. They seem to white label a lot of their product for third party installations in the UK which is why their name does not appear more. I had also noticed that they appear is "Other" on Zap-Map. I cannot help with your means of payment question.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,391 Posts
Chargepoint do a free RFID and you can pay by PayPal. I'd dig that via their app. It's a lary orange

Just checked with their app and Worcester parkway chargers are showing as theirs. It's 30p a kWh which is pricey for a slow charger.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Instavolt is part of Chargepoint. They aren't actually a new network or anything. I have a RFID tag for them as it is easier to keep track of my spending rather than my contactless credit card. Their app is also pretty good too. It's got quite a lot of information about availability and recent usage, right down to telling you what type of car was connected last.

I've used them in the US where they are a much bigger brand and operate a pretty large chunk of the public chargers. Pretty impressed with the reliability and functionality. Just as someone else said above they are pretty expensive.

Nothing to do with GeniePoint/Engie or their other brands. There are just so many different networks these days that they are starting to get similar names and cause confusion.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
The ChargePoint App is pretty good, I use it on an iPhone to start the Instavolt chargers I use, via the phones Touch ID and the charger RFID reader.

Just watch if you go on a run of charging and you have auto top up enabled in your account, they took £30 from my card to ‘cover predicted usage’.

Not a problem, as I will use it, but just thought it a little OTT!

·
Registered
153 Posts

So their map doesn't show an actual tariff, but even at £0.30/kWh, that estimate seems to be assuming a full 30kWh per session. I think most other networks average about 10kWh per session.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,391 Posts
The map in the app shows the tariff but it's hidden. There's a drop down or more info button somewhere that has to be clicked. It's really annoying. Why they can't just have the per kWh charge instead I do not know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts