Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am considering moving to an EV and looking for peoples views on not having a home charge point and relying on work and public charging. I have had several quotes for a home charge point and as the installation is 'non standard' therefore it is cost prohibitive. I feel charging at work during the week and the occasional public charge would be workable as the council have recently installed a charging point in our village.
Thanks.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Hi - I am considering moving to an EV and looking for peoples views on not having a home charge point and relying on work and public charging. I have had several quotes for a home charge point and as the installation is 'non standard' therefore it is cost prohibitive. I feel charging at work during the week and the occasional public charge would be workable as the council have recently installed a charging point in our village.
Thanks.
Are you on this side of the pond or t’other?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I'm in the UK. I work for an American company and it looks like it thinks I'm in the States. Better change that!!!

·
3,528 Posts
What’s your budget and annual mileage? What type/size of vehicle do you need? Is the charger at work 7kW?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What’s your budget and annual mileage? What type/size of vehicle do you need? Is the charger at work 7kW?
I'm looking at the ID.3 and my annual milage is approx 8K. I've not got the details of the work charger, but it's accessible for the whole day.

·
3,528 Posts

·
3,528 Posts
It's a dedicated EV charger.
So it should be at least 3.6kW if not 7.2kW which means you can probably get at least 24kWh charge in a working day. That should give you a range of at least 70 miles a day, so unless your commute is more than that you should be ok.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
139 Posts
Thanks.
I've had an ev for a year now and rely totally on public charging. All OK so far so don't worry.👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it should be at least 3.6kW if not 7.2kW which means you can probably get at least 24kWh charge in a working day. That should give you a range of at least 70 miles a day, so unless your commute is more than that you should be ok.
Thanks - I have a total commute of 30 miles so I'm sure it will be workable.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Should be fine i reckon if you can even slow charge at work 2 days a week, say a monday and friday to give you a good charge for the weekend.

What makes your home installed non standard if i may ask?

I've had various EV's for nearly 4 years now and charges at home have been less than twice a year maybe and via a granny lead.

·
3,528 Posts
Thanks - I have a total commute of 30 miles so I'm sure it will be workable.
Depending which ID.3 you go for you’ll probably leave work Friday with 200 miles of range to use over the weekend. You could then use rapid chargers if you need to go further afield.

Reactions: HamOnTheBone

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Should be fine i reckon if you can even slow charge at work 2 days a week, say a monday and friday to give you a good charge for the weekend.

What makes your home installed non standard if i may ask?

I've had various EV's for nearly 4 years now and charges at home have been less than twice a year maybe and via a granny lead.
Thanks, It's 50m of cable and a trench to be dug under block paving!!

·
3,528 Posts
I've not got the details of the work charger, but it's accessible for the whole day.
Just a word of caution. As EVs become more popular, is it likely other colleagues will want to use that charger? Hopefully it’s 7kW meaning even if two or three need to share it you should still be ok. Have you got permission to use it. Will you pay for the electricity? It can cause arguments in the workforce if someone is getting their electricity paid for, while others have to pay for their petrol. Just depends on the makeup of the company and the mindset of your colleagues, if you have any.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a word of caution. As EVs become more popular, is it likely other colleagues will want to use that charger? Hopefully it’s 7kW meaning even if two or three need to share it you should still be ok. Have you got permission to use it. Will you pay for the electricity? It can cause arguments in the workforce if someone is getting their electricity paid for, while others have to pay for their petrol. Just depends on the makeup of the company and the mindset of your colleagues, if you have any.
It will be a minimum of 7kw and there will be 2 points. I'm unsure of the payment details at the moment as they are not installed yet, all things I will have to consider.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have access to a 22kW charger at work. My daily commute is 25 miles round trip (well, it was back when commuting was a thing)

For a couple of years I basically never charged at home (even though I can) because it was cheaper to do so at work and perfectly convenient. At 8k per year you will easily be able to cope with this with access to a workplace charger.

At our workplace site we have a lot of EV users now (2x Leaf 24, 2x Model 3SR+, 1x I-Pace, 1x Ioniq 38, 1x e-Niro, 1x Outlander PHEV, 1x Optima PHEV, 1x S60 T8 Polestar PHEV, 1x Passat GTE PHEV, 1x Mercedes C350e PHEV) and with a little communication and shuffling about (plus we have to buy tokens that enable the charger for a 2-hour slot) we all get by. Not everyone needs to charge all of the time, and they're changing the pricing structure soon that will put some users better off charging at home where possible (myself included). Basically you should be able to get 4 or 5 people served per day per socket (assuming 7kW) unless they have really crazy commutes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have access to a 22kW charger at work. My daily commute is 25 miles round trip (well, it was back when commuting was a thing)

For a couple of years I basically never charged at home (even though I can) because it was cheaper to do so at work and perfectly convenient. At 8k per year you will easily be able to cope with this with access to a workplace charger.

At our workplace site we have a lot of EV users now (2x Leaf 24, 2x Model 3SR+, 1x I-Pace, 1x Ioniq 38, 1x e-Niro, 1x Outlander PHEV, 1x Optima PHEV, 1x S60 T8 Polestar PHEV, 1x Passat GTE PHEV, 1x Mercedes C350e PHEV) and with a little communication and shuffling about (plus we have to buy tokens that enable the charger for a 2-hour slot) we all get by. Not everyone needs to charge all of the time, and they're changing the pricing structure soon that will put some users better off charging at home where possible (myself included). Basically you should be able to get 4 or 5 people served per day per socket (assuming 7kW) unless they have really crazy commutes.
Thank you. It sound like it's feasible. Just need to wait until I have the details of the charger and associated costs.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Thank you. It sound like it's feasible. Just need to wait until I have the details of the charger and associated costs.
Assuming 7kW charging you will need approx 1hr charge per day to cover your commute. If the charge point is 3-phase (as many workplace chargers are) then you'll be able to charge at 11kW. Obviously you will not need to charge every day. With my model 3 (also 11kW charging) I tend to charge for 4 hours per week at my workplace as this gives me 44kWh and at 3mi/kWh (I do my commute with no regard for hypermiling etc, I simply enjoy the performance and comfort features of the car) that is about 130 miles of range which covers my 125 mile commuting in a typical week. You'd be at 150 miles per week commuting, so might push closer to 5 hours of charge, and driving more efficiently will reduce that. You'll be absolutely fine with one or two charging sessions per week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts