Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just recently purchased the Ohme cable to commando plug for my 30kwh Leaf and just need some advice please.
I rang up a couple of electricians and explained to them I have the Ohme charger cable and whether they can give me a price on the exact work that needs doing (fitting the commando plug, wiring and earth rod if needed). Still waiting for some prices. I'm getting the impression that the electricians were reluctant in doing the work maybe because they will make more money if I would have opted to have the wall charger instead.

Currently waiting on 3 companies to get back to me. One electrician said he wouldn't give me a price as its risky and to stick to the wall charger.

I'm not exactly sure as to what work is involved, is it just the commando plug or a earth rod is needed? or earth rod is only required if the commando plug is outside?

Can I have the commando plug fitted inside the house next to the consumer unit? distance between the consumer unit to the front outside wall is about 2 metres. If the command plug is next to the consumer unit I can have the Ohme charger cable coming outside through the vent in the picture, which will be about 2.5/3 metres left. At least this way the unit won't get wet and I can purchase a charger holder to go on the wall.

Alternatively have the commando plug fitted outside and purchase a box similar to what Dannyboy had done recently so the commando plug and the Ohme unit is inside the box?

Does anyone roughly know what the cost would be to have fit the commando plug along with the necessary wiring and earth rod if needed?

I have no idea but the cost of the command plug is around £40 and not sure about any wiring and earth rod (if required)
Would I have been better off spending more money and have a wall charger installed?

Didn't want to spend around £600 to have a wall charger installed as we normally only do about 70-80 miles a week so would maybe charge a bit 2-3 times a week.
New wiring was done in the house about 4 years ago.

Some advice would be really appreciated as I am really confused. I've had the Ohme cable for a couple of weeks now and have no idea what to do

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Coincidentally I was just writing up some notes to share on this subject so I'll drop them in here as they might help:-

I decided to crack on with installing fast charging at home whilst I wait for the e-Niro to be made/turn up.

Having read various threads I decided to go down the Octopus-Ohme-Commando-Socket route. This approach meant skipping OLEV/grant but meant I could give some work to a local electrician in lockdown whilst I waited for DNO fuse upgrade and smart meter installation. This also allowed a face-to-face (2 meters!) dialogue on planning it rather than having to do it digitally with an OLEV supplier.

To minimise disruption my installation needed 10mm2 SWA for 22 metres from my meter box to an interlocked 32A commando socket mounted inside the garage. Cabling clipped to the wall at the side of the house and then dropping on the corner of the house to run at ground level along the front of the house for aesthetics – the drop allowing the SWA to take the corner more easily. The cable then runs in conduit under a couple of paving slabs at the front door and goes through a hole in the garage wall – drilled at 45 degrees (vertical) – again to allow the SWA to make the turn through 90 degrees more easily/tidily.

I bought a Gewiss GW 66015 interlocked 32A 2P+earth commando socket for £22.50.
And the Ohme charger cable (Commando) for £199 via Octopus.

The electrician supplied:-
The 10mm2 armoured cable at £6.66 pm.
1 way steel Axiom consumer unit.
Service connector block (RDL 100A DP 5 way 25 mm).

The electrician’s work took around 5 hours (with time spent wrangling SWA).
With the supplied items his bill was £450 (not VAT registered) including certification.

After reviewing my notes I realised the commando socket had been wired ‘normally’ and not in line with Wiring Regulations BS7671 Section 722 Electric Vehicle Charging Installations. These, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, mean effectively that there needs to be an earthing rod – that’s still to do.

An earlier email to the DNO (during Covid-19) had not had a response, so I phoned their Network Connections number arranged for their Contractor to get in touch to come and assess the job and upgrade to 80A from 60A cut-out if all’s well... no sign yet.

Takeaways:-

1. The Gewiss GW 66015 socket ‘exits’ near horizontal – a downward ‘exit’ would have been a better choice. This especially because the length of Ohme cable between the smart-box and the commando plug is quite short – so mounting the smart-box on the wall means that the cable would loop to the horizontal socket outlet under some strain. I plan to mount the Ohme smart-box standing-off a couple of inches away from the wall to remove the strain completely and support the weight of the box so it’s not hanging from the socket.
2. This Gewiss has a rotary on/off / lock/unlock switch which might be difficult for some folk.

3. 10mm2 SWA corners better than I expected, but can’t do 90 degree turns round solid corners so plan for any place where there’s a change of direction.

4. If you’re using a non-OLEV electrician then really make sure they’re up-to-date on BS7671 Section 722. I’d mentioned it in conversation and taken the lack of response as me “trying to teach him how to suck eggs”, but it was just a lack of familiarity.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really appreciate that thanks @YorkieNiro .
That works out just over £650, would you have been better off having something like the EO mini installed for that kind of price or was there another reason for going with the Ohme ?

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
My install was around £300, but I had a 20m cable run from the house. It also included the CEEFORM switch, earthing to current regs, and an RCD for my fuse box.

That was still cheaper for me than getting an OLEV grant funded box, even before they’d have put the price up for it being a non standard install owing to the long cable run.

I could have saved a bit supplying and running my own cable etc, but the electrician needs to earn a living too!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,637 Posts
Hi all,

I've just recently purchased the Ohme cable to commando plug for my 30kwh Leaf and just need some advice please.
I rang up a couple of electricians and explained to them I have the Ohme charger cable and whether they can give me a price on the exact work that needs doing (fitting the commando plug, wiring and earth rod if needed). Still waiting for some prices. I'm getting the impression that the electricians were reluctant in doing the work maybe because they will make more money if I would have opted to have the wall charger instead.

Currently waiting on 3 companies to get back to me. One electrician said he wouldn't give me a price as its risky and to stick to the wall charger.

I'm not exactly sure as to what work is involved, is it just the commando plug or a earth rod is needed? or earth rod is only required if the commando plug is outside?

Can I have the commando plug fitted inside the house next to the consumer unit? distance between the consumer unit to the front outside wall is about 2 metres. If the command plug is next to the consumer unit I can have the Ohme charger cable coming outside through the vent in the picture, which will be about 2.5/3 metres left. At least this way the unit won't get wet and I can purchase a charger holder to go on the wall.

Alternatively have the commando plug fitted outside and purchase a box similar to what Dannyboy had done recently so the commando plug and the Ohme unit is inside the box?

Does anyone roughly know what the cost would be to have fit the commando plug along with the necessary wiring and earth rod if needed?

I have no idea but the cost of the command plug is around £40 and not sure about any wiring and earth rod (if required)
Would I have been better off spending more money and have a wall charger installed?

Didn't want to spend around £600 to have a wall charger installed as we normally only do about 70-80 miles a week so would maybe charge a bit 2-3 times a week.
New wiring was done in the house about 4 years ago.

Some advice would be really appreciated as I am really confused. I've had the Ohme cable for a couple of weeks now and have no idea what to do
Ask them to install a spur and 3 -pin socket but use 6mm^2 cable to connect it up.

Then replace the 3 pin socket with your own interlocked 32A commando socket once s/he's left.

If they stick to what they know, they will usually quote you less.

"A cumundee socket .. wot's that, mate? Cor, gonna cost a fortune by the sound of it, gotta get in the paras and an army unit, hur hur, ain't I funny, put the kettle on will ya?"

This is my visualised experience of a 'British' worker come to do the job (a good one at that, I daren't caricature a bad one).

FWIW it was a Romanian chap that fitted my Polar socket back in 2012 and he did a spanking good job, I wish I could have someone like that every time.

Anyhow, 10mm^2 is totally OTT. If your lead is less than 5m run from the consumer unit, then you only really need 4mm^2 for 32A.

If you car can't take 32A and you don't want the effort, you might be able to convert an existing 2.5mm^2-fed 3 pin socket to fit a 32A socket straight on to it already, and then ask Ohme to set your cable to 16A max.

This is exactly what I have done, because my rental garage only has a 2.5mm^2 feed. It cost me the price of the socket to fit, and two brick-screws to screw it on the wall. (I originally connected a Polar charge point to this outlet, for the Kia Soul, but, as per plan, instantly 'adaptable' by just unplugging the Polar and plugging in 'summit-else'. I also have an adapter to 3-pin trailing socket, for the lawn mower.)

There is a 'questionable thingy' over whether the socket should be grounded via a grounding rod. My original polar never had a grounding rod because it was not a requirement of the regulations then. I am still alive, as it happens, and TBH I really can't see how the charger won't spot a ground/earth failure and not shut off, but if you wear belt and braces then get a ground rod and use that for the earth connection to your socket.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
339 Posts
I've had a 32a Commando socket installed to work with the recently purchased OHME cable. I already have an earth rod that was fitted when I had the 32A Pod Point fitted 4 years ago.
The electrician fitted a Commando socket with interlock and a separate consumer unit.
The electricians' instructions from OHME said that as a commando socket was being fitted the regulations said an earth rod was not required. However, OHME recommended that the Commando socket was wired according to the regulations for an EV charging point.
I was charged £212 for the work, which included all relevant certificates.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Separate earth is a grey area. It applies to dedicated EV charging, but a commando socket is a general purpose unit.
It is a good idea for any outdoor electrical equipment, in theory at least.
However, from your picture it could be a pain to install a rod neatly in that paving, so that's another factor for you.

Mike Etchells has just posted before me. Even OHME seem to be looking both ways :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Really appreciate that thanks @YorkieNiro .
That works out just over £650, would you have been better off having something like the EO mini installed for that kind of price or was there another reason for going with the Ohme ?
I don't consider the Ohme cable to be part of the install as that can travel with me if I move, but my (dubious?) rationale was:-
No need to wait for the VIN to be able to go the olev route (e-Niro ... I'm not short on time; just patience).
A general dislike of admin and companies that may be profiteering from the grant.
Support a new neighbour / local business during Covid - he could just cross the road and work alone / distanced outdoors.
Flexibility - tho' I wasn't actually planning to buy a welder.
Something to learn/plan/do during lockdown.
... delete as applicable.

Other thoughts:-
I think your earth rod depends on either: whether your installer insists on one and/or your view of risk. Note that there are alternatives to rods, but they tend to be pricier.

Your proposed indoor / thru the vent/hole sounds pragmatic as long as you can get the Commando-plug through it and the car nrear enough.

I think you can consider any charging provision as adding value, or at least attraction, to your property.

Reactions: zed0077

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really appreciate everyone's input, thanks.
I'll ring up a couple more electricians on Monday to get a price and hopefully some work done. Is there anyone from around the west midlands that can recommend me one?

Bit tired of using the granny charger and haven't been able to take advantage of charging during the night as I would have to keep the windows open so yeah will be relieved once this is all sorted :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts