Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an industrial unit with a 3-phase supply and a DB conveniently located close to where we would site a charger. In fact, we’re thinking of two Zappi 3-phase chargers with their hub (one inside and one outside). The vehicles will be an Audi Etron (which could use 11kW of the 3-phase) and a Passat GTE (which would make do with 1-phase but for interchangeability, we’ll stick with 2 x 3-phase chargers).

Am I missing anything obvious - other brands, working with a network to monetise the charging etc?

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
Unless you have solar, or other self generation, the Zappi is more complex than you probably need and the VW group cars don't always play nicely with it if you want to use it for consuming the excess generation.
I wouldn't get one unless I had solar panels.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,916 Posts
Are these charge points for your (Staff) benefit or as a commercial enterprise for anyone to use? If the former why bother with a network as they'll want a cut and a number of charge points take RFID cards to separate out accounts for which car is charging. If a commercial enterprise and you can provide 50kW+ consider getting a partner to install a Rapid.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Was your reason for considering Zappi chargers to be able to control the current being drawn by cars that are charging so that the supply to the DB is not overloaded?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've recently done a bit of work looking at this.

The company I work for has two sites in the UK, about 240 miles apart.

The site that I work at has a 3 year old 2x22kW rolec post with token "coin op" mechanism, and we have to purchase tokens from the finance department - the token is good for 2 hours of charging (so if you have a 22kW capable vehicle that works out very nicely for you).

The other site had no charging facilities until we had a Chargemaster (or whatever brand they are using now) RFID operated 2x22kW post installed. This is run by BP/Polar/chargemaster/pulse/omgivenoideaanymore to do the billing on via the app at a set price per kWh.

In an attempt to equalise things between the two sites (as the older rolec post can not be changed to any kind of smart/metered billing system), we are now going to be implementing a tiered payment scheme for the tokens to match the price of the kWh rate at the other site. In other words, nissan leaf 3.3 owners will pay for approx 7kWh, 7kW vehicle owners will pay for 14kWh and 11kW vehicles up to 22kWh, so my model 3 will be charged 3x as much per token as a leaf and that reasonably fairly covers the cost.

So, the bit you're most interested in probably is that if you get a point done through bp pulse then it can be managed and billed through their back end, so your employees will simply use the bp pulse app to utilise the workplace charger.

I also looked into EO - they have a similar system that can bill users through an app and they handle the back end stuff. Also worth noting that the EO points are compatible with open charge point protocol, so should EO go bust you can maintain and run your own platform to look after the chargers - they won't become dead. I assume the pulse charger is also ocpp compliant but not sure (i wasn't in the decision making loop when it was selected).

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,916 Posts
if you get a point done through bp pulse then it can be managed and billed through their back end, so your employees will simply use the bp pulse app to utilise the workplace charger
And what's the deal in terms of the costs to the employee and the payment to the employer? Is that set by the employer and what is the margin charged by BP?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts