Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to drive the car and even put it into gear, but it would not budge. I also got messages on the screen that HV battery was disconnected. After numerous tries for over an hour I could not get it driving. I had to call the MG recovery and when the AA guy came out he also could not get it to drive. He was going to put it on a flatbed, but had one last try and it worked. I will obviously contact MG about this problem, but has anyone experienced anything like this?

Is there a motor with a position sensor that moves contacts to the HV battery? Maybe that was not working? Also I had something very strange happen today. My battery said 78 miles and I drove 4 miles to walk the dog. After an hour of walking the dog, the battery than said 54 miles. I know the GOM varies, but that's a hell of a difference.

Can anyone shed any light on my problems?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yesterday I went to drive the car and even put it into gear, but it would not budge. I also got messages on the screen that HV battery was disconnected. After numerous tries for over an hour I could not get it driving. I had to call the MG recovery and when the AA guy came out he also could not get it to drive. He was going to put it on a flatbed, but had one last try and it worked. I will obviously contact MG about this problem, but has anyone experienced anything like this?

Is there a motor with a position sensor that moves contacts to the HV battery? Maybe that was not working? Also I had something very strange happen today. My battery said 78 miles and I drove 4 miles to walk the dog. After an hour of walking the dog, the battery than said 54 miles. I know the GOM varies, but that's a hell of a difference.

Can anyone shed any light on my problems?
Yes, I had that happen to me on one occasion when at Milton Keynes Coachway Polar Rapid Charge Hub. The charge was terminated and the HV Battery Disconnected came on the screen. I was in the car at the time and there was a big relay clunk!
I resolved it by turning everything off and disconnecting the Rapid Charger, which also appeared to have tripped, and locking the car. I wasn't sure which had caused the disconnection the Car or Charger. I then unlocked and put my foot on the brak and pressed Start. Everything came back to life but as the Rapid had tripped I move the MG to the next free bay and started another Rapid Charge session so as to complete my journey. It has never happened again since. Talk to your dealer and please post what they say, but personally, unless something repeats and you've something for them to diagnose they're unlikely to want to have the car in to them for inspection given the backlog of servicing they must have after 2 months shut down.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,125 Posts
If your car turns on (orange light) when you press the start button you might be able to engage gear, but car won't move. The Parking brake is still applied and you get the HV disconnected message on screen. You need to press the brake pedal pretty hard in this situation to get the car too turn on, remembering to put it back into Park first because no EVs will start in drive/reverse.

If your 12v battery is low you might get this message also. Look at the start button, see if you can get car into on mode, press the button once to get the orange LED lit and then again to get it to light the green LED. Then the DC-DC should kick in, if you've got a lighter socket volt gauge you can check this, and you should see the 12v gauge on the dash go to one blob over 12v (at least). Give it a coupe of mins in green ON mode and then turn off and try to start the car as normal (brake pedal/park mode).

Range drop is an interesting thing. For all the comments previously that the MG doesn't have an external temperature thats why it doesn't show outside temp (now being updated). The car clearly did know outside temp. If you parked up with 1 range showing and then the outside temp went up you would see your range increase, and vise versa as you've seen. Most EVs just show the range as you parked and then this can drop suddenly when you get underway (if the temp has dropped). The MG is pretty decent at guessing your range based on changeable weather.

Reactions: Paul M

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your car turns on (orange light) when you press the start button you might be able to engage gear, but car won't move. The Parking brake is still applied and you get the HV disconnected message on screen. You need to press the brake pedal pretty hard in this situation to get the car too turn on, remembering to put it back into Park first because no EVs will start in drive/reverse.
But the strange thing is the car was not on the orange, the green was clearly on the start button.

·
Registered
62 Posts
But the strange thing is the car was not on the orange, the green was clearly on the start button.
I once hired a car in California which had a safety feature (I guess common in US cars) that stopped the car from starting if the correct starting procedure wasn’t followed. This required a hefty foot on the break pedal to remove the block to ensure that an adult was in charge before trying to restart. Now I can’t remember what I had done wrong but it was a normal way to start a car in the UK. This was just to ensure a child wasn’t having a go at driving. Is it possible that something was touched that shouldn’t have been?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To rule things out, MG replaced the switch on the brake, so fingers crossed this solves the problem. They did this 2 weeks ago and I have not had the problem since - fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I did have an odd problem on Friday at a Polar. I charged normally, but during charging I was checking the 12V battery with clock/thermometer/voltage thing I got off AliExpress, and I turned the car on and off and locked and unlocked it a few times. I think this confused it!

Charging finished normally after the short top-up. When I disconnected I then got the message HV disconnected and the car would not move! I tried putting it in drive and back to park a few times. I think I had to turn it off and back on twice, with foot hard on the brake and then it was back to normal and I drove home without further problems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I disconnected I then got the message HV disconnected and the car would not move!
Paul, I had the same experience after charging at Milton Keynes Polar Rapid when the charging terminated prematurely and displaying the same message. Annoying because I needed to move to another stall to complete the charge as the Polar Rapid wouldn't come back online. I think it was the Polar confusing the car's onboard system. Getting out and locking the car then starting all over allowed me to move the car and in a fresh stall, all was good.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,125 Posts
Charging finished normally after the short top-up. When I disconnected I then got the message HV disconnected and the car would not move! I tried putting it in drive and back to park a few times. I think I had to turn it off and back on twice, with foot hard on the brake and then it was back to normal and I drove home without further problems.
What you hadn't said is you started the car after ending session and unplugging?

Just because car is "on" while you charge, doesn't automatically mean its "started" and ready to move. Its basically in ACC2 mode, like your ICE would be, you've got to engage the starter motor in ACC3. In the MG you need to turn off if in on position. Then do the usual Foot brake/start to start the car to drive. Yes in the "on" ACC2 position you can appear to engage Drive or Reverse, but thats just the light at the gear selector, the car isn't in a "ready" to drive state. I recall having similar discussions on the Zoe group when folk were saying their car reversed when they tried to go forwards, when in fact it rolled backwards when they took it out of gear in ACC2 mode not "ready" mode.

Reactions: Neilew
1 - 9 of 9 Posts