Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's sounds bad. If the switch didn't show the pedal press it will never start. Did swapping the switch fix it?
It has not happened since, but it is worrying as MG don't seem to know what caused it. When they replaced the switch, I think they were just guessing.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I have not had this experience on my car ( yet ).
But, I have seen something fairly similar in my previous VW PHEV on two occasions.
I was waiting outside of my daughters house to give her a lift one day.
The car was totally powered down, but just the radio playing.
As she entered the car I placed my foot on the brake ( lightly ) and hit the "start" button, I was a little to quick to pull back on the DSG lever before I got the "ready" light.
Oh ..... the car DID not like that at all !.
It refused to move one way or the other.
Then it put up a "hybrid failure warning" on the dash.
I tried all sorts in an attempt to get the car moving, absolutely nothing !.
Then I powered down the car, we all got out and I relocked the doors.
After a few minutes, I unlocked the car and when through the start up process at a more slower pace.
The car booted fine and we drove away.
It did the very same thing about 12 months after when I was in a real rush to move the car and it did the very same thing.
I came to the conclusion that the car has a certain start up protocol that is brilliant, as long as you don't try and skip the steps.
If you interrupt it's little wake up call, it is likely to crash the system because you are demanding functions before it has got it's full act together correctly.
It is unsure of what is being demanded, so it falls on it's arse and locks up.
We are driving computers on wheels affectively today.
They do a great job, but they like to operate at a speed that THEY want too and not a speed that we expect sometimes !.
Don't rush the system out of bed to early, or it may react like a bad teenager ;) .

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have not had this experience on my car ( yet ).
But, I have seen something fairly similar in my previous VW PHEV on two occasions.
I was waiting outside of my daughters house to give her a lift one day.
The car was totally powered down, but just the radio playing.
As she entered the car I placed my foot on the brake ( lightly ) and hit the "start" button, I was a little to quick to pull back on the DSG lever before I got the "ready" light.
Oh ..... the car DID not like that at all !.
It refused to move one way or the other.
Then it put up a "hybrid failure warning" on the dash.
I tried all sorts in an attempt to get the car moving, absolutely nothing !.
Then I powered down the car, we all got out and I relocked the doors.
After a few minutes, I unlocked the car and when through the start up process at a more slower pace.
The car booted fine and we drove away.
It did the very same thing about 12 months after when I was in a real rush to move the car and it did the very same thing.
I came to the conclusion that the car has a certain start up protocol that is brilliant, as long as you don't try and skip the steps.
If you interrupt it's little wake up call, it is likely to crash the system because you are demanding functions before it has got it's full act together correctly.
It is unsure of what is being demanded, so it falls on it's arse and locks up.
We are driving computers on wheels affectively today.
They do a great job, but they like to operate at a speed that THEY want too and not a speed that we expect sometimes !.
Don't rush the system out of bed to early, or it may react like a bad teenager ;) .
I get my Comfort 2 update when the MG is in for 1st annual service at the end of the month, lockdown permitting. I scheduled it for the same day in the hope of more acceptable fee and I've been quoted a much more reasonable charge that when it first came out as a stand-alone job. The Comfort 2 seems to boot up quicker with all the fancy stuff but I've not timed and compared how long it takes to go from Press to Ready when I've driven service loan cars recently but it seems a lot less fussy in all other respects.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,681 Posts
It's not perfect, but it does make for a much more pleasant experience.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
264 Posts
Possibly it is as a result of putting in drive too quick, but on FB the reply to this message is your foot is not pressing hard enough on the brake pedal or for long enough.
It was mentioned above it may show an adult is in control if brake pedal is pressed hard and maybe why a dealer replaced a brake pedal switch thinking it was faulty.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts