Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got into my Zoe last night, started to reverse off the drive, had to stop, then tried to continue reversing and nothing!
Dash lit up with faults (see photos) and wouldn't move! Gear select wouldn't move, indicator was flashing between 'N' and 'R'. Eventually the engine start/stop worked to switch off and I was able to move selector to 'P'
I could then restart and drive as normal

·
Registered
609 Posts
The same thing happened to my previous ze40 about a year ago.. reversing off driveway. Was left marooned a quarter over footway and 3/4 in road. I don't remeber if the gear selector indicator light was flashing.
It stayed like that for a few mins with me trying to stop and restart her with no change... then suddenly everything went back to normal.
Never happened again while i owned her.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The same thing happened to my previous ze40 about a year ago.. reversing off driveway. Was left marooned a quarter over footway and 3/4 in road. I don't remeber if the gear selector indicator light was flashing.
It stayed like that for a few mins with me trying to stop and restart her with no change... then suddenly everything went back to normal.
Never happened again while i owned her.
Very strange and sounds like the exact same thing, luckily I was just reversing into a quiet cul-de-sac and not a busy road.

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
There’s a recall on the gear selector. Not sure if this might contribute to the issue?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,091 Posts
Gear selector was a recall on mine as well. It was poor when I got it and it was better once they'd done it.

Worth checking 12v battery as well as the weather has just turned colder.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gear selector was a recall on mine as well. It was poor when I got it and it was better once they'd done it.

Worth checking 12v battery as well as the weather has just turned colder.
I've had the car about 7 weeks (new) and covered 2100 miles, so battery should not be an issue........I hope!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every month, take off the negative pole of the battery, and connect a trickle charger overnight. I bet you never have a problem again.
As in a normal battery charger (for non EV) ?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,091 Posts
You shouldn't have to mess about charging the 12v in normal use. It's only in very cold winter or if the car is being left a length of time. When they get 2 to 3 years old they can fail as they're normally replaced at 3.

If the car is that new then book in with Renault and get it sorted under warranty.

Manufacturers need to sort their own mess out and charge their own batteries from the car as that's perfectly possible. If their failures are hidden by trickle charging they'll never learn!

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
I agree, you shouldn't need to trickle charge your 12V battery on a new car.

Get Renault to look at it. That's what warranty is for.

It could be a car that sat around during the COVID hold up and the 12v got too low.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
You got a new 40kWh car 7 weeks ago? Must have been a real bargain...

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
I've been doing a few business orders recently. There's still a crazy amount of new battery owned Q90 and R110 that are sitting around. Ordered 20 Q90s, all delivered on 19 plates, and getting a lot of emails and phone calls asking if I want to order more at stupid prices.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a company car - obviously been in storage somewhere, came to me on 3rd Aug with 15miles on the clock, registered xmas eve 2019!

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
237 Posts
Its a company car - obviously been in storage somewhere, came to me on 3rd Aug with 15miles on the clock, registered xmas eve 2019!
If it’s been standing around for a while this might explain the 12v battery issue.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it’s been standing around for a while this might explain the 12v battery issue.
Even so, surely the car can charge the 12v battery? I've done about 2000 miles since I got is, so it's not standing idle.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Even so, surely the car can charge the 12v battery? I've done about 2000 miles since I got is, so it's not standing idle.
It's a common problem with EV's. There are two or three threads today on the subject. I think the DC/DC converter is not as powerful as an alternator on a ICE vehicle. Therefore the battery gradually goes down, particularly in winter when you are using heated seats, headlights etc.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a common problem with EV's. There are two or three threads today on the subject. I think the DC/DC converter is not as powerful as an alternator on a ICE vehicle. Therefore the battery gradually goes down, particularly in winter when you are using heated seats, headlights etc.
Heated seats! What are they? 🤣🤣🤣

1 - 20 of 23 Posts