Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Labrador fits in Ampera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my used 2012 Ampera on Friday and looked at the lifetime MPG of wait for it - 40mpg.

Then I realised that the solar panel company that were the first owners were using it as an ICE car.!!!

A full service at Vauxhall co formed that it had hardly ever been plugged in. LOL

I now have a fun journey ahead to see how I can improve my lifetime MPG...

Can anyone else submit a worse figure???

I guess the solar guys must have bee using the car as an image booster but not actually using it properly..to be fair they did leave 30gb of banging euro techno music for me to enjoy on the hard drive so fair dos...

P

·
0 Posts
Doesn't surprise me in the least.

I remember posting here a short while back now that Car Magazine's long term test of the Volvo V60 D6 Plug-in hybrid stated they'd not really bothered plugging the car in :rolleyes:

NB. Car seem to have blocked all access to their site, explaining that I've "used up my free views". Given that I get the same message at work, where I've not used up any views at all, I think the code they use to detect freeloaders is shonky. In addition, £2.99 a month? If everyone is going to be asked to stump up £2.99 a month for every www site they visit, then readers, publishers and advertisers are in for a shock.

·
Labrador fits in Ampera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rang them because they didnt submit the vehicle unlock codes to do software updates, turns out the car was leased from a leasing company. the MD drove it around and i think the car was shared by a few people (explains the very eclectic range of music on the HDD....)

anyway the company was Solar Valley Ltd which after a lot of chasing down are now trading under the name of

Solar Plants

I rang that number and they confirmed they were the original owners of the car but supplied by a leasing company named Arval UK.

Oh well, I guess I bought a 3 year old car, with a nearly new battery...

·
Registered
853 Posts
There is a Ampera that lives near me that never plugs in. What's the point in paying the extra for it if you aren't going to use it properly.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,290 Posts
but if the battery has been sitting all most dead is the battery going to be ok
You are thinking 'BEV' in a PHEV world. The battery will cycle back and forth around 20% whilst in use, and will balance the pack there too, if it thinks it necessary. It's designed to do this. As long as the car is in routine use, ICE only or otherwise, the battery will be just fine.

There is a Ampera that lives near me that never plugs in. What's the point in paying the extra for it if you aren't going to use it properly.
Maybe he just likes the car. Lee... would you sell your if you had to move and didn't have a charge point for a while? I don't think I would.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
You are thinking 'BEV' in a PHEV world. The battery will cycle back and forth around 20% whilst in use, and will balance the pack there too, if it thinks it necessary. It's designed to do this. As long as the car is in routine use, ICE only or otherwise, the battery will be just fine.

Maybe he just likes the car. Lee... would you sell your if you had to move and didn't have a charge point for a while? I don't think I would.
No, I probably wouldn't. Although I rely exclusively on public charging anyway. So I guess it all comes down to what sort of compromise you are prepared to make. Until I can afford a model s, this is the closest I can get to my ideal car :)

·
Registered
853 Posts

He's had it from new at the same address. Although I suppose he could be charging at work.

·
Labrador fits in Ampera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suppose it's a testament to the Ampera that someone was happy to use it as a traditional car. I have to say I love the quiet and smooth drive and the instant torque. I am going to try the charge lead out. BTW a quick tip on saving on petrol, if you tend to buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, always use vouchers bought from Morrisons - they give you money off petrol. (only works if you happen to have a Morrisons petrol station near you)..

·
Registered
447 Posts
So, I've joined the EV club having picked up my 13 plate Volt on Friday....
It appears I may be immediately claiming the worst lifetime mpg crown at 37.8! Previous owner was a leasing company based in London (judging by the satnav recent destinations). Presumably the congestion charge saving was enough of a benefit all by itself.
Looking forward to dragging that mpg up by its bootlaces over the next year or two....

Out of interest, are there any other known Volts in South Wales area?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,290 Posts
Yes, looks like your car never saw a plug-in charge. That's lower than the typical petrol-only mpg you should get, but is not unusual amongst GM staff cars. There were a small fleet of GM-corporate Volts that appeared for 2nd hand retail in the US after a while, all of which were as yours.

The battery should be in good condition, being constantly cycled around 22% SOC and rarely seeing extremes nor heavy power loads during driving.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts