Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can add a SIM card to the car to get access to the Connect services such as Google maps. Is the extra functionality worth it? Which SIM card have any UK owners gone for?

Cheers

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got a Three payg sim card with £10 - 6 monthe use and still got £8.90 left. Use it for traffic status on satnav and occasional google search. (Keep the grandkids off surfing net)
I had to activate the sim in a mobile phone first and register it on Internet to be able to top it up remotely. But don't think I will be topping up much at less than £5pa.
Definitely worth it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm using an O2 sim with a £5/month top up for that I get 500Mb. I use quite a bit more data than pacetron, about 250MB/month, as both my phone and my wife's tablet use the wifi hot spot facility. The key uses I have found are traffic in the sat nav and google searches for destinations (much much easier that attempting to enter them directly through the MMI).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I added a SIM - if you go into an O2 shop they have an offer of data only £60 per year (no monthly restriction - I am only using for the traffic as the SatNav is not great on its own.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I just happened to notice this thread, so tell me to leave if I'm out of place in an Audi forum.

I don't know what sort of data volumes you're all looking at, but if it's only for traffic I wouldn't have thought it was a massive amount. Would 200MB/month do it?

If so, take a look at Three's "Data Reward SIM" plan: £10 for the SIM with 1GB included for the first 30 days, then 200MB per month for free forever (and if you need more you can top up something then they'll charge you at their standard rate of 1p/MB). This price includes roaming to Three's "Feel at Home" destinations such as France. Data will be 4G if the phone supports it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thank you Duncan. Been meaning to take a 3 PAYG card for a while, I'll get that one now as it's even better than the basic 123 one :)

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Thank you Duncan. Been meaning to take a 3 PAYG card for a while, I'll get that one now as it's even better than the basic 123 one :)
I see they've added another option for the Three Data Reward SIM plan. There is still the £10 for 1GB for the first month then 200MB for free after that, but they've added another option £0.00 for a SIM with 200MB for free every month including the first. Not sure you can really get much cheaper than that.

200MB free Mobile Broadband SIM | Three.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you do go connected (I have) it's worth noting that if you set the satnav to 'Google Earth' view it will look fantastic, but also chew through data at an alarming rate...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I see they've added another option for the Three Data Reward SIM plan. There is still the £10 for 1GB for the first month then 200MB for free after that, but they've added another option £0.00 for a SIM with 200MB for free every month including the first. Not sure you can really get much cheaper than that.

200MB free Mobile Broadband SIM | Three.
Just an update on that one, so others who want to order it know what to expect.

I got mine in the post yesterday. To get the 200 MB per month free, you have to register the card. So I headed to the url they provide to do that. Problem is, you need to access their site using broadband from the SIM to be able to register. Don't know about others, but I don't have any device that can take a full size SIM and connect to 3 internet to open a browser.

After a few tries, I got on the phone (using 3 on my mobile phone, so free call - there is a feature on the web site to ask for someone to call you back if you're on another network). Spent about 10 minutes being moved between services and then talking to a lady who couldn't help. She asked me to try with my phone, as it's on 3 network, but was adamant that they can't register a SIM, only I can do it.

Trying from my phone, the URL said that my SIM was not eligible (of course, the new SIM doesn't fit into the phone, so that's why I had the wrong one in - can't use another SIM to register, only the one they send). Then I spent more time looking around the web site, trying to connect to web chat, and looking for their customer service e-mail (which I didn't find).

After feeling in the survey telling them getting help was hard and didn't actually help, I finally managed to chat with someone using the web chat. It took another 10ish minutes explaining that the device is a car, doesn't have a browser, and no it's not a tablet in the car, it's the car itself... Oh, and no I don't have another device with full size SIM in which to put the SIM to register. That guy managed to register the SIM for me though. But checking credit on the SIM requires me to connect to my3 using the SIM itself. They can't provide me with a password, it can only be sent by text to the SIM (which they did, but I never received the text in a place I can find it in the car).

As it stands, I don't know if I can actually use the SIM card. It looks like there is a connexion, but trying to use Audi Connect didn't work this morning, and I don't think I got any live traffic update. I'll try again and update here if it works after some time. As it stands, it was just about 1h 30min to just get a standard 123 PAYG card, with the disadvantage that you can't check the remaining credit on the card.

TL;DR: Unless you have a device that can use a 3 full size SIM card to register your card, stick to another offer as this ont only gives you a restricted SIM card without the 200 MB per month.

PS: thanks anyway Duncan, someone had to try it to find out, and that was a good spot of a good offer :)

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
TL;DR: Unless you have a device that can use a 3 full size SIM card to register your card, stick to another offer as this ont only gives you a restricted SIM card without the 200 MB per month.

PS: thanks anyway Duncan, someone had to try it to find out, and that was a good spot of a good offer :)
Why only full size? Can you not pop out the inside to get a micro or nano SIM, put that in your phone to register it and then reassemble it for use in your car?

If you're anywhere near Oxfordshire you're welcome to borrow my mifi for registration purposes. That takes a full size SIM.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I wouldn't trust the broken down SIM card to be reassembled. If anything goes sideways, it could be a big pain to extract that from the e-tron.

I'll check with colleagues for anyone having the rigth device. I may also drop by a 3 store to check with them if they can help me. I'm sure they'll have some device I can pop the SIM card into.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Put the sim in the car, enable the in-car wifi and then connect your mobile or a tablet to the wifi and then browse the internet to activate the sim like that (you should get a web-page for the sim provider) - this is quite a common method you have to do for most sims.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just spent 20 minutes on the phone to Three and was told that I could register the Data Reward SIM card simply by calling them once I have the SIM in my possession and they can register it for me. Sounds easy, so I'll try it. Bet it doesn't work! I hate all mobile phone networks....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I didn't update here since I still have to talk to them. I managed to get the SIM in a device and then register online, and now... I can use it to take monthly contracts. The only options I get are £15 for 10 GB over 30 days, or other options for more data for more money, over the same period. No option to add £10 as PAYG, although the packaging they sent mentions only that (i.e. it says this is a 123 card, PAYG with 1p per MB...)

Their prices and coverage are fine, but getting what the offer describes may be beyond my strength :p

Edit: just to clarify, the guys did "register" my card when I called, which means they put it in my name and address, but that didn't validate the 200 MB per month free. For that, one has to connect to the url provided by using the SIM. At least the 4 people I talked to remotely and the store attendant I went to see assured me they could not help unless I could browse to that site using the SIM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts