Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PHEV and when I bought it, also bought a type 2 connector so that I can charge it when out and about - not just using the granny charger at home. Its slow to charge but if I park the car up for 2 to 3 hrs I can get a reasonable charge in.

However I parked in a local supermarket and was berated by an EV owner for using the charger when I could easily run on petrol! Even though there was 3 other empty parking bays each with their own charging point which was fully operational....if there weren't I may not have used the charging point as clearly I'm not so thick to recognise that EV needs it more.

So now I am reluctant to use the type 2 when out and about and think I should sell it as its just sitting in my lounge gathering dust. Doing my bit for the climate - bollox to that of this is the agro we'll get.

I was quite annoyed by this ev owner. I can lookout for myself and stood up to this EV bully boy but I know that others wouldn't and may impact them considerably.

He didn't even go in to shop - just sat in his car topping up his electricity for free!

So whats the unspoken rule on this? Are PHEV owners regarded as sub class by EV owners? Should I not use these charge points in my dirty sub standard PHEV?

It hasn't affected me....much :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
By all means use AC Charging posts whenever you find them free. First come, first served.

As has been said above the only time when this is a problem is when a PHEV that can only charge at 3kW comes along and plugs in to a rapid charger, blocking it for hours on end. This generally only happens because they are too cheap to go and buy their own Type 2 cable so use the tethered rapids. I assume this would never happen with you because you were smart enough to get your own cable!

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
but if I park the car up for 2 to 3 hrs I can get a reasonable charge in.
You were quite correct in telling this 'evangelist' where to go you. Your electric miles are as valid as any other EV driver's. Hopefully you'll be so impressed by driving electric, you'll be happy buying an EV yourself next time.

You've hit the nail on the head with your comment above and probably why the guy was so anti (I'm not excusing him here, just playing advocate). Most EV owners have a suspicion that most PHEVs owners will do exactly that in the quote. That's where the friction occurs. If you keep your charging time to around 30 minutes, but as long as you like if there's no demand (just like the extra stalls) then there isn't a problem. What I'm really trying to say, is that if there's give and take and PHEV owners are aware that we can't go without electricity. the world would be a better place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I went to a restaurant or for a walk and parked up at a charger (there are 2 in town I can think of and are generally empty whenever I drive past) and was a few hours (like most would be away for), are you saying the expectation is that I should pop back and move it after 30 mins so I don't get berated for hogging a charger, or not park there at all in this use case??
How would that work in a multi storey and I went to work for the day and left the car to charge up (in a spot I'm paying for) for 8 hours? Just because mine can run on petrol....Having an electric capability defects the object if its easier to run around on petrol?
Just interested where the line is to be drawn? If its that I shouldn't have parked there at all because mine takes 3 hours to top up and I can run it on fossil fuels, maybe I should sell the location charging cable and not bother.....so back to my initial point. What is the unspoken rule?
If they guy came to me and said hey pal, can I take the spot as I'm out of electricity PLEASE, I'd have happily moved as I have petrol to get by on. :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If it is a destination charger (ie 7 kw max) use it for as long as you need it. It is kind of the point of a destination charger. If I am out for a meal or shopping or watching a film I am not going to move the car after 30 minutes.

Don't let a numpty put you off doing the right thing (ie maximising your electric miles).

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
are you saying the expectation is that I should pop back and move it after 30 mins so I don't get berated for hogging a charger, or not park there at all in this use case??
No, not at all. I understand you have to go with the situation in place. Destination chargers are just that. For using at a destination. I would do the same as you in the same situation. First come, first served. No-one should depend on destination chargers for en-route charging. It just isn't worth it.
Just interested where the line is to be drawn?
However, Rapids are a different ball game. I know that some rapids have AC (Type 2) attached. On them you need to be aware of the need for BEV to use them to get around. Even then, there has to be some give and take. If you plugged in 5 minutes ago, it wouldn't be unreasonable to say, 'just give me long enough to go to the facilities and grab a coffee', if the stalls were all full. You have to remember though that you are gaining somewhere in the region of 28ish miles in an hour, where an EV will gain 200ish miles in that same hour.

Reactions: Bonerp

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
So in answer to your first post: You were perfectly entitled to sit at that supermarket charger. They come under the definition of destination chargers.

TBH, I've seen it happen at supermarket chargers loads of times. On my local Tesco charger a member of staff charges his/her GTE throughout their shift on one. There's also a Leaf driving school teacher who does the same.

There is a thread somewhere on here devoted to it.

Reactions: Bonerp

·
Banned
843 Posts
I have a PHEV and when I bought it, also bought a type 2 connector so that I can charge it when out and about - not just using the granny charger at home. Its slow to charge but if I park the car up for 2 to 3 hrs I can get a reasonable charge in.

However I parked in a local supermarket and was berated by an EV owner for using the charger when I could easily run on petrol! Even though there was 3 other empty parking bays each with their own charging point which was fully operational....if there weren't I may not have used the charging point as clearly I'm not so thick to recognise that EV needs it more.

So now I am reluctant to use the type 2 when out and about and think I should sell it as its just sitting in my lounge gathering dust. Doing my bit for the climate - bollox to that of this is the agro we'll get.

I was quite annoyed by this ev owner. I can lookout for myself and stood up to this EV bully boy but I know that others wouldn't and may impact them considerably.

He didn't even go in to shop - just sat in his car topping up his electricity for free!

So whats the unspoken rule on this? Are PHEV owners regarded as sub class by EV owners? Should I not use these charge points in my dirty sub standard PHEV?

It hasn't affected me....much :ROFLMAO:
Firstly, i assume we are talking 7kw or 3.3kw destination T2 chargers and not a 43kw T2 AC rapid charger?

If so just Man up and say you want to drive home on battery as he does, these are destination chargers not onward journey (Rapid) chargers, and he is welcome to try and stop you if he likes hospital food. Job done.

Move on, get home feeling pumped up with adrenalin and manlyness and give the wife a good rodgering that night in bed.

I often ponder when at the local Tesco's plugging in our Chevy Volt, why does this shit never happen to me, i would love to tear someone a new arsehole.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Firstly, i assume we are talking 7kw or 3.3kw destination T2 chargers and not a 43kw T2 AC rapid charger?

If so just Man up and say you want to drive home on battery as he does, these are destination chargers not onward journey (Rapid) chargers, and he is welcome to try and stop you if he likes hospital food. Job done.

Move on, get home feeling pumped up with adrenalin and manlyness and give the wife a good rodgering that night in bed.

I often ponder when at the local Tesco's plugging in our Chevy Volt, why does this shit never happen to me, i would love to tear someone a new arsehole.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
88 Posts
I have a Volt and keep a type 2-type 1 lead in the boot. I use it every opportunity I can on the 3kw/7kw posts - I’ll park up and work for a few hours at a retail park Costa while the car charges, for instance, rather than at another location with no charger. My logic is I’ve got as much right to charge at such locations as anyone else, and want to drive emission free as much as possible. How long it will take me to l recover the cost of the cable through doing this is another matter, but not something I worry about. I just consider the cable as part of the cost of the car really.

·
Banned
843 Posts
I have a Volt and keep a type 2-type 1 lead in the boot. I use it every opportunity I can on the 3kw/7kw posts - I’ll park up and work for a few hours at a retail park Costa while the car charges, for instance, rather than at another location with no charger. My logic is I’ve got as much right to charge at such locations as anyone else, and want to drive emission free as much as possible. How long it will take me to l recover the cost of the cable through doing this is another matter, but not something I worry about. I just consider the cable as part of the cost of the car really.
Ditto. I grabbed my cable 2nd hand via Ebay off an ex leaf Gen 1 owner for £50 4 years ago. Still going strong.

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
415 Posts
What about the cost of all the extra coffee? ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
PHEV's have every right to use destination chargers for as long as they want. Obviously rapids, especially when they're limited on the motorway are a different story and I have had to wait for a PHEV to trickle it's battery whilst desperately needing to charge to move on. That said almost as annoying was a Nissan leaf driver who was on 97% on a 50kw rapid but insisted on staying until 100%. His charge rate was down to about 3kw but still he had to get that last bit of power!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.