Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BMW wall charger for my i3, I am thinking of buying a VW ID.3.

Would my BMW wall charger charge a different make of car or is there some sort of Hand-Shake between the charger and the car?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,163 Posts
If the wall unit is Type 2 AC it will charge anything else that uses Type 2 AC as well. Doesn't matter if that's a BMW i3, VW ID 3, or any other brand including Tesla.

They follow the exact same standards as the public charge posts you might find at your local supermarket which can also charge anything.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,838 Posts
Just to be sure, why not try? Get another EV and stick it in.... If you don't have a neighbour with an EV, you can always ask the "nice" people of speakev...:cool:

Reactions: Padrino

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Is a 16 or 32 a Amp wall box.
Probably a 32 Amp right ?.
Would charging times alter if it was the smaller capacity unit folks ?.
Tethered or untethered, I ask because of the charge cable rating ?.
Interesting to here what the difference is between 16 and 32 Amp units please.
When I had my PHEV and was looking to have a wall box installed, I was advised by the installer to pay the very small increase in cost ( £10 ) and go for the 32 Amp unit, which I did.
He said it was future proofing for a later date IF my next car was a BEV.
I know the PHEV would have been more than happy on the smaller unit, but now ( 4 years later ) I now have a full BEV so this was the correct thing to do, right !.
Is the smaller 16 Amp a slower charging unit then ?.
Answers to my questions maybe of some use to the OP’s post.
Thank you in advance for your responce’s.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,163 Posts
Just to be sure, why not try? Get another EV and stick it in.... If you don't have a neighbour with an EV, you can always ask the "nice" people of speakev...:cool:
Yeah, if people are worried there is generally always someone local that's happy to help out like that.

It was only about 2 weeks ago when I last had a drive over to a new forum member's home to not only test their new Tesla wall charger was working for them, but also to prove that any other brand of car would charge quite happily with it.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Yes, half the power of a 32.

The difference between a 16A and 32A (or any other value) charging point is purely down to the current carrying ability of its components and any programmed limit. It's just a glorified contactor in essence - the charger is in the car.
If a system is to be limited to 16A then the chargepoint can have lesser (cheaper) contactor, etc, the feed from the mains can be smaller cable and the cable to the car can be smaller too (less copper).
For 32A all those things need to be heftier - it's a chain and is only as capable as its weakest link.
In practice many charge point manufacturers probably only make a 32A unit and just provide a way to limit it for lower current systems, much like Tesla supplies cars with some functions switched off.

The car will only ever draw what it needs up to the limit of the charge point system, so fitting a 32A system from the beginning is indeed future-proofing. And none of it is (should be) manufacturer specific any more than the make of kettle you plug into a domestic wall socket matters. In theory anyway.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,370 Posts
Yeah, you are quite right. 16 amp will typically charge at around 3 kW and a 32 amp at 7 kW. Your installer did you a favour.

Those figures are for single-phase electric. If you have three-phase electric you triple the output. So you'll get 22 kW from a 32 amp. Good for Zoe owners but, not much use for anyone else as, in most cases, the car controls the rate of charge, regardless off the chargers output.

(not heard of anyone using 3-phase 16 amp)

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Thanks for the feed back !.
So, because his present BMW is an i3, I guess he already has the 32 Amp version wall box installed then.
Bobby T. had a three phase supply installed to his property, he also has solar and two Tesla power walls fitted in his garage.
Not a cheap option by any stretch of the imagination!.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Just to confirm, yes it is.
I had an idea it would be, just though I would check.
I had my dumb 32Amp wall box fitted over four years ago to charge my VW Golf GTE at the time.
Yes, this was over kill for the GTE - I know, but a bit of built in future proofing I guess.
When in Jan 2020 we took delivery of a ZS EV - I did not give it a second thought to be totally honest.
I just plugged it in and off it went with out fuss or bother.
I was of the opinion that all 32Amp type 2 wall boxes where universal and had no objection to changing all compatible EV’s they where offered up to.
Unless it is a Tesla unit being offered to a non Tesla of course !.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Tesla units will all work with other EVs, assuming the dip switch have been set correctly, it can be set up to charge only Teslas. Once had to correct the "Sales" person in Tesla West Drayton who said the wall box could work with any other EVs, when selling a prospective customer on the idea of the Tesla unit to go with the car they were interested in.

A short "Ahem" later pointed out that the Nissan Leaf was a type 1 connector and as a result it would not fit (prior to 40kW leaf).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts