Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This idea has been around since 2000 at least. But seems
to me we might actually have the technology to do it now.

The self driving cars of Google, Volvo etc already are driving on public roads in various parts of the world.

Inductive charging is being developed - I know Audi in particular see it as crucial.

One of the issues with inductive charging can be having the car correctly aligned.

But imagine if you got to the junction of the motorway. Then your ev drove itself using
charge from an inductive charging rail embedded in the road. At the same time recharging your ev.

You press a button at the junction you want to get off at. And retake control of your fully
charged ev.

If this was the case for our whole motorway network then there would be little need for stopping to charge in most of England. Parts of Scotland and Wales may still need it.

And you would have the capacity to support mass ev adoption.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It ain't gonna happen anytime soon. The process is too inefficient, deployment would be too costly, maintaining charge to the full linear capacity of such a network would also black out a few of our cities... how to make EV's around 50% less efficient in one fell swoop... :(
The self driving bit is definitely coming. And the ability to have self driving cars that can drive closely as trains has been said elsewhere to offer reduction in congestion / new road building costs.

And the electrification of the railways has been achieved without noticeable black outs....! I know this is of a different scale if all cars are to be run but still.....

The M6 toll would be an interesting trial. Think a few would choose to pay to use that if they got a charge as they went

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I read an April 1st story about EVs in San Francisco being equipped with dodgem car style aerials and taking advantage of the tram overhead electricity lines to recharge on the move.

Isn't there something preventing the Leaf, and maybe other EVs, from charging on the move?

And if you electrify a stretch of road for charging, EV drivers are rather naturally going to slow down to make the most of it. Or stop!

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
I think it would work from a technical point of view but not sure it would ever happen. The motorway network would be good, but not enough, you'd still need batteries bigger than a Leafs to be happy you can get around without stopping to charge, or do the whole A road network as well. Maybe the Solar Roadways guys could incorporate it into a design?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read an April 1st story about EVs in San Francisco being equipped with dodgem car style aerials and taking advantage of the tram overhead electricity lines to recharge on the move.

Isn't there something preventing the Leaf, and maybe other EVs, from charging on the move?

And if you electrify a stretch of road for charging, EV drivers are rather naturally going to slow down to make the most of it. Or stop!
Electrification of railways was a far easier project, for fairly obvious reasons.

Self-driving cars have yet to prove themselves, and if you feel safe in a nose to tail convoy of the things then you're a brave man than many amongst the masses who wouldn't trust in the technology.

Inductive electrification of the roads isn't going to happen. Too wasteful, too costly.
Feel far safer with a computers reaction times than with a persons! And maybe not nose to tail but at whatever distance technically safe.....sure!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An EV under load draws more current than a house often might. Multiply that by the potential for there to be up to ten thousand EV's on a single ribbon of road (say an entire A road or one side of an entire motorway) and you would need what, in terms of cabling, to supply all those vehicles?

It'd a lot more significant that a single row of pylons. So in order to minimise that you'll want to uproot power stations and position them near to roads instead of where they are now.

The electrification of roads is a concept that's never going to happen.
I respect your opinion....but I also respect the opinion of the EU and the IEEE.....;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think we should put a stake in the ground now and all opt for stationary conductive charging but only on the premise that it is widely advertised that non EV's that aren't equipped with the correct equipment will explode into a million pieces if parked upon, thereby simultaneously dealing with all ICEing issues.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I sincerely hope your comment doesn't actually indicate that you rank my thinking as being too akin to the drivel that comes out of Brussels... but do enjoy the amusing EU edicts whilst they last, a huge number of people are convinced the EU is in its death throes and that the UK should finally give Brussels the middle finger... :D
Lol @ "huge" :D

Back OT. Short of adopting a tram-style system for HGVs, it is not going to happen.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sincerely hope your comment doesn't actually indicate that you rank my thinking as being too akin to the drivel that comes out of Brussels... but do enjoy the amusing EU edicts whilst they last, a huge number of people are convinced the EU is in its death throes and that the UK should finally give Brussels the middle finger... :D
No, was honestly meant to say I respect different opinions whether or not I agree with them. Is a strength of this forum

The IEEE is the Institue of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - was interested to hear they believe it is possible and worth pursuing.

And the EU - am no defender of - but their Rapid Charge Network seems to making a greater difference than OLEV has done for public charging to be fair.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Id' suspect OLEV and the Ministry of Transport, for behaving like prats, is more the issue with why charging infrastructure in other EU countries is so much more advanced and abundant than in the UK.

You don't hear of local authorities in France rebutting chargers with a cry of "but who'll pay the electric bill..."

We have some useless ministers and civil servants in Whitehall, and until a goodly number of them start doing what they preach (and get behind the wheel of an EV themselves) it's my gut feeling that Britain will continue to seriously lag behind our continental neighbours...
No we have a better rapid charge network then most European countries. The EU rapid charge network, and their decision to partner with Ecotricity, is making a significant addition to it here in the UK.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I beg to differ. In the south west we have next to nothing. When I did a comparison between Devon, Cornwall and Dorset - pitching our regional charge network against the charge network in Brittany, the result was so absolutely shameful that I wondered what the hell the British have been doing...

Brittany had manyfold better coverage and facilities, and it wasn't just a small margin, it was staggering how well they've done by comparison to the south west of Britain... :mad:
I still think we have a better rapid charging network then most...a point echoed in last weeks addition of Transport Evolved.

Not really the point I wanted to make though. The main point was that the EU Rapid Charge Network, part of their strategic Ten-T project, has made more of a positive difference to uk rapid charging infrastructure than OLEV.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Crikey....did not say you were off topic! Just that the point I was making was a different one.

Feel like I have gone as far as I want to expressing my views here

·
Registered
626 Posts
I can see this idea as the way foreword. I see this as the ideal for the future with driving using inductive power on main roads and the battery then becomes the Rex to use on minor roads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts