Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite frankly I find the ecotricity map nothing short of a real pain in the backside to use for a journey plan or even overview of what's where in terms of rapid charging.

A simple Google Map with their locations plotted on to it would be great, is this possible using publicly available data? Has anyone done it?

For just ecotricity rapids, nothing else.

I know it'd be kind of doing their job for them, but their "new" map format seems to be here to stay, and it's horrid.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Go to the page, view source. Quick search for Membury will take you to the right place. All the data is there in XML format.

Bit of time & patience with Maps api, job done. ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quite frankly I find the ecotricity map nothing short of a real pain in the backside to use for a journey plan or even overview of what's where in terms of rapid charging.

A simple Google Map with their locations plotted on to it would be great, is this possible using publicly available data? Has anyone done it?

For just ecotricity rapids, nothing else.

I know it'd be kind of doing their job for them, but their "new" map format seems to be here to stay, and it's horrid.
Get yourself an Android phone:

https://speakev.com/threads/android-app-ev-charger-locations.1724/#post-14492

Think I may start restart working on this again when I get back from my hols in August.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Reactions: Matt Beard

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Reactions: Paul

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
That's cool, although when I zoom in the hot spots seem to get smaller?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
hah yeah - and larger if you zoom out.
Seems that it only works for a fixed zoom - oh well.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The other problem with the map is where Ecotricity are doubling up on Rapid Chargers.

As far as I can see there is no way on the map to identify sites that have two chargers as against one charger.

Another rather important point is a way to distinguish at the doubled-up rapid charger points if both chargers are working, or only one, or none.

For example, last week Beaconsfield was shown green. That was true, but only one charger was working - the second one looks like it may not have been switched on yet, but you can't tell this from the maps.

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Selection down the side, CCS, AC Rapid, AC Fast, Chademo. I don't care if there's other connectors at a particular site, just the ones my car can use. Also, I don't care if there's two pumps for my car and one is faulty, I do care if there's two pumps and BOTH are faulty (i.e. it goes red if I select chademo and both chademo pumps are broken. If one is up and one down, stay green). That way, when they triple and quadruple in future you only ever see a red if ALL the pumps for your car are down.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't care if there's other connectors at a particular site, just the ones my car can use. Also, I don't care if there's two pumps for my car and one is faulty, I do care if there's two pumps and BOTH are faulty (i.e. it goes red if I select chademo and both chademo pumps are broken. If one is up and one down, stay green). That way, when they triple and quadruple in future you only ever see a red if ALL the pumps for your car are down.
Knowing how many chargers are working, and how many are faulty I consider almost essential if planning a long journey.

If you had a quadruple site, and three were faulty, that definitely would influence planning on a long journey.

If a site justified four chargers and only one is working, you could pretty well guarantee that, at best, you are in for a long wait, and would be better planning to charge at an alternative site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts