Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if starting up the heating using UVO would be a way to ensure the 12v battery get topped up? Would be an option for those situations where the car is parked some distance away for a long time.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
Heating only works for 15 minutes if the car is not plugged in so it won't be of much use. You can however use utility mode to charge the 12V battery, but cannot set it through the app.

That being said, the car has a charging regime for the 12V so it should take care of it automagically. There are instances of people with a flat 12V but I think in most cases there is an underlying issue or the battery itself has gone wonky.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Andrew Till did a video about the eNiro battery recently. You could ask him about it, he might know or be able to find out with his data logger.

PS. In the end Kia replaced his battery with a Kia branded one. Might be worth asking your dealer if you are having problems, seems to be a known issue.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had it with my first edition 3 times. I now have the 4+ but was wondering if it was in an airport car park say for a couple of weeks. If I ran the heating a few times concurrently now and then it would add a bit extra top up just as insurance. I know from the FE once the battery has died once it can happen quite often. So I would like to insure as best I can against it.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
899 Posts
I had it with my first edition 3 times. I now have the 4+ but was wondering if it was in an airport car park say for a couple of weeks. If I ran the heating a few times concurrently now and then it would add a bit extra top up just as insurance. I know from the FE once the battery has died once it can happen quite often. So I would like to insure as best I can against it.
I think not recommended. 15 minutes is nowhere near enough to do any good. The daily battery saver+ feature charges it for 20 minutes every day anyway (providing you have it enabled!). Also, every time UVO is used there is some period of discharge on the 12V battery for a few minutes. This would likely negate any slight gain that just 15 minutes charging could possibly give. To usefully charge a 12V battery takes hours, not minutes.

Also running the heater is pretty wasteful of energy when all you are trying to do is charge the 12V!

Providing you have nothing connected (dashcam, OBD dongle or anything that could draw any 12V power) or anything left switched on and the battery is in a good state at the start of the parking, then you should have no problems. I have left mine totally disused for over a month, more than once during the lockdown and the 12V has been completely fine (as confirmed by my BM2 data logger which I fitted the day I took delivery last September. IMO it is the best reassurance you can get for around £25).

If you are concerned, as a precaution, I would recommend to do a period of several hours in Utility Mode just prior to leaving the car. That will top up the battery to a good healthy state of charge.

It seems that the car is completely fine at maintaining the battery providing it is in a good state to start with. It’s apparently not so great at recovering the battery from a bad discharge event, without some additional intervention.
Peter

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
199 Posts
I agree with Peter. We have a Niro 4 and we’ve had some pretty abysmal weather up here this winter and the car hasn’t moved for a month a few times with lockdowns etc. I’ve had the caution when it was really cold (12v battery was at 50% SOC) but only once. Can’t fault the Kia really as it’s survived fine. If the battery is in a bad state before a long period of idleness then that’s when problems will occur. 12v LA batteries hate going below 50% SOC if it can be helped and take forever to actually charge up to anything higher, especially in the cold. Andy‘s problem I think was definitely a dead battery and the short journeys we’re all doing these days will not do the 12v system any good. That goes for ICE as well as EV’s as the issue is the same across the board.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
I would like to add that €50 gives you complete peace of mind by buying a lithium jump starter

·
Registered
620 Posts
The only time UVO said my battery status was Caution was just after I got it. I sat in the car for an hour in Utility Mode playing with all the features and haven't seen it since.

I wonder how many 12V battery issues would've been avoided if everyone did that?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The only time UVO said my battery status was Caution was just after I got it. I sat in the car for an hour in Utility Mode playing with all the features and haven't seen it since.

I wonder how many 12V battery issues would've been avoided if everyone did that?
Yes that was the only time mine has said caution as well. It was a 4+ straight from the boat so no hanging around. I put it on a smart charger which took about 12 hours to indicate fully charged. Not had a problem since December despite not being driven much yet.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My First edition was fine until it reached the 15 month mark. I have a Lithium battery starter but once the Lead acid battery fails the first time it never seems to hold the charge well. 3 times and it's pretty much finished.

·
Registered
899 Posts
@David M Prompted by your original question, I yesterday did a little experiment deliberately setting a 20°C preheat via UVO app and just leaving it to time out after it heated for its maximum of 15 minutes.

You can see on the chart that it does indeed charge the 12V battery at 14.7V CV for the 15 minutes. However, there is also a period of several minutes discharge right after the preheat event. This is enough to seemingly counter any SOC gains during the short charging event. I have noticed previously that whenever you do anything with the UVO app (even just checking car status) there is a significant dip in the Voltage showing that some discharge to the 12V occurs whenever you activate UVO remote app. (see third graph below))

The 24 h Voltage chart. The first 14.7V charge session at around 11:00 was the 15 minute UVO remote triggered heating session. The Voltage indication cursor is set 1 hour after the UVO event. You can see there is no useful increase in the SOC as the resting Voltage is no higher after the 15 minutes pre heat than it was before it. The second event at around 17:40 is the daily battery saver+ 20 minute top up. It is better at improving the SOC as it is a bit longer and does not have the lingering few minutes of discharge afterwards that the UVO event suffers......

The same chart as above but with the Voltage indicator cursor set one hour after the daily 20 minute battery saver+ event. the 12.9V is clearly better than the 12.76V after the UVO session.....

So the conclusion is that there is no useful 12V battery SOC improvement by remotely triggering a UVO 15 minute preheat event. It’s a pity we can’t invoke the Utility mode via the UVO app for some decent preset period, now that would have been a handy feature to have.

The sharp Voltage dip at around 12:45 here was caused by the current taken when I activated the UVO remote app. I did not actually command any function such as door unlocking or HVAC etc etc. This was just from opening the app, pressing refresh to check the car HV status, GOM etc. No other actions were commanded. The app was closed after a few seconds.....

All the above tests were done from within the house, with the car locked up outside.
Cheers Peter.

Reactions: Rei and Steven4

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. I found this video, where Bjorn believes the same thing I was wondering.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've just taken delivery of our 4+ and FINALLY got UVO working (had to drive round the block to get a network apparently) and it's showing the 12V with an exclamation mark. I decided to go put it in utility mode in the garage by leaving the key in the car. Managed to do that, but the headlight won't go off. Froze my bits off searching through the options looking for how to turn off the lights. Failed, dismally.
What makes the lights go off in Utility mode, please?
Thanks
Silverback

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just turn the lights stalk switch to off. (Maybe also need to engage parking brake?)
You could have used the heater whilst sat fiddling around BTW. It works in Utility mode. In fact everything does except actual driving.

BTW, had you been fiddling with UVO whilst car is on but not at ready? (After power up without foot on brake....accessory mode). If so, that would be why your 12V is low. That Accessory mode is notoriously bad for rapidly discharging the 12V. It should never, ever be used. Always either do full ready state start or use Utility mode. Never use accessory mode.
Peter

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just turn the lights stalk switch to off. (Maybe also need to engage parking brake?)
You could have used the heater whilst sat fiddling around BTW. It works in Utility mode. In fact everything does except actual driving. Peter
Duh! Realised how to turn the lights off. Just been to do it, but you posted before I could get back. Thanks.
The Auxiliary Battery Saver is switched on. Should that not keep the battery topped up?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Auxiliary battery saver+ is great for maintaining a well charged to start with battery (providing no additional loads have been added such as certain Dashcams, OBD scanner devices etc).

However it is only 20 minutes a day, irrespective of how flat it may be. 20 minutes is nowhere near long enough to actually recharge a discharged lead acid battery. It is just enough to nicely maintain a well charged battery. So using Utility mode for a few hours, occasionally or whenever you suspect the SOC may be low is a good prophylactic thing to do IMHO. Peter

·
Registered
176 Posts
Auxiliary battery saver+ is great for maintaining a well charged to start with battery (providing no additional loads have been added such as certain Dashcams, OBD scanner devices etc).

However it is only 20 minutes a day, irrespective of how flat it may be. 20 minutes is nowhere near long enough to actually recharge a discharged lead acid battery. It is just enough to nicely maintain a well charged battery. So using Utility mode for a few hours, occasionally or whenever you suspect the SOC may be low is a good prophylactic thing to do IMHO. Peter
OK - thanks for all that info. If I try and fool the car by switching into Utility mode and leaving the key inside while I come in to the warm, is the car likely to lock itself - with my key inside;. My old GTE used to do just that. If you unlocked the car but didn't use the doors, it would lock itself after 30 secs or so.
I don't think we've bought a car here. I think it's a computer on wheels. I can't believe after all the years I've been driving, it's proving so challenging getting used to the 4+. Of course, old age and stupidity might be playing into the equation!
:unsure:

·
Registered
899 Posts
OK - thanks for all that info. If I try and fool the car by switching into Utility mode and leaving the key inside while I come in to the warm, is the car likely to lock itself - with my key inside;. My old GTE used to do just that. If you unlocked the car but didn't use the doors, it would lock itself after 30 secs or so.
I don't think we've bought a car here. I think it's a computer on wheels. I can't believe after all the years I've been driving, it's proving so challenging getting used to the 4+. Of course, old age and stupidity might be playing into the equation!
:unsure:
You don’t need to leave the key in the car. Car will always stay on even if the key is taken away. It will beep an external warning but that’s all. It also means nobody can get in to drive it away, as to exit Utility mode and drive you must firstly turn the car completely off. If you really need to lock it up whilst it’s sat in Utility mode charging, you can do it via UVO. Then unlock via UVO when you need to open it. (Could be interesting if UVO goes on the blink in the mean time though!). Peter

PS Edit, if your UVO reception is poor where you park, then UVO door locking etc may not work. UVO is notoriously unreliable at best of times, even if reception is great.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks again for your help. SWMBO has volunteered to sit in the car for 30 minutes while it's in Utility mode. I have to pay for this by doing household chores. Then we'll swap. Ain't marriage great?
Final question about this. Instrument cluster and infotainment screen stay on in Utility mode. Is that right or is there a way to turn them off?
Thanks
Silverback

·
Registered
899 Posts
No you can’t turn them off. Infotainment screen has a screen off option, but it actually stays on displaying clock or something similar iirc. They won’t consume much. I just remove my key and leave car open on my drive. A risk? sure but nobody can drive the car away providing you take the key fob. Peter

1 - 20 of 20 Posts