Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What if your car company offered you "home electricity with free night charging" as part of EV deal?

• Great! Free home charging makes perfect sense - I'd sign up without hesitation

• OK. Sounds good, but I'd need to know I was getting a good deal overall for my home energy

• No! I'd be reluctant to buy home electricity from a car company

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've been wondering ...

Tesla already do free public charging on their network - an obvious next step is offering free home charging. Imagine purchasing your electric car and you are offered free charging everywhere: at home during night time and on the go.

Would you buy your home electricity from your car company? What do you think?

Thanks,
Gi

·
Registered
259 Posts
Tesla already do free public charging on their network
they're moving to 20p / kWh SuperCharging for new cars (unless it's an X or S purchased with a referral code before the end of 2017, when you still get free SuperCharging).

I'll buy electricity from any company provided:

1) the price is right
2) their customer service is good
3) they can provide 100% renewable

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they're moving to 20p / kWh SuperCharging for new cars (unless it's an X or S purchased with a referral code before the end of 2017, when you still get free SuperCharging).

I'll buy electricity from any company provided:

1) the price is right
2) their customer service is good
3) they can provide 100% renewable
Thanks for replying.
I agree with you. It would great if I could get rid of the usual utilities and jump on board something alternative.
Would e great to have free night electricity for my EV; considering that I will be charging mostly at night!

·
9,719 Posts
Having participated in two smart meter trials one that offered free weekends and the other a EV over night rate, I can safely say it doesn't really make any difference for me at least.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All thanks for joining the conversation. Let me try to clarify.
At the moment you have your dual energy tariff or something similar.
You buy an EV; most likely you will charge your EV in the evening and at night time (where there is more green electricity in the system).
You are offered the same tariffs (or very similar) you are on but free electricity at night for your EV. It's basically a special tariff for EV users.
My question is: would you buy electricity from your car company? and would you sign up while purchasing your EV? ....I would do it but I would like to understand what people think!

·
9,719 Posts
But why would any company offer such a service? And having trailed such a service as described, I actually made no savings as the normal rate was put up sufficiently that the free period never offset the difference from a standard rate tariff.

·
Registered
612 Posts
...most likely you will charge your EV in the evening and at night time (where there is more green electricity in the system)...
With so much solar electricity being generated during the hours of daylight, how is there more 'green' electricity at night?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With so much solar electricity being generated during the hours of daylight, how is there more 'green' electricity at night?
Well it depends on the period of the year, right? 21 of December I doubt there is more solar than wind electricity.
But where I come from is the other way around!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But why would any company offer such a service? And having trailed such a service as described, I actually made no savings as the normal rate was put up sufficiently that the free period never offset the difference from a standard rate tariff.
Have you really trailed such a service? who provided it? how did it work? would be great if you could expand. Thanks

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Any system where rates are adjusted for day/night should in theory be cheaper for someone whose 'cheap' drawings are greater than the expensive times. After all that's the point of offering them. The provider has excess power some times so they incentive people to buy it then. In practice very few people actually benefit and some lose out by being attracted to the principle as they don't use enough cheap units to swing it in their favour. It's a minefield.

There are also some people who invest in home battery stores and grab the cheap rates to fill their buffer and then use that at otherwise expensive times to run the house. This works as long as only a tiny minority do that. If more and more did that then the otherwise cheap overnight load would turn into a huge demand instead and could become the peak demand time so that rates had to be priced higher. The minefield expands.

Offer free overnight car charging and - trust me - many people would rapidly identify the loophole and install a battery home pack to power the days home use from, so that their entire power usage would be free.

·
9,719 Posts
Have you really trailed such a service? who provided it? how did it work? would be great if you could expand. Thanks
British Gas trailed several variants of TOU tariffs when they first started deploying Smart Meters.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well it depends on the period of the year, right? 21 of December I doubt there is more solar than wind electricity.
But where I come from is the other way around!
Mid-December will be windier than the summer. You are still promoting a false premise.

·
Electric Leaf Man
1,898 Posts
Greenenergyuk already do a tariff like this, only it's 5p pkwh at night.

That's £1.35 per 100% charge.

I assume you mean free electricity at night rather than free charging for your car. For this to happen you'd need to charge a lot during the day to offset it. This exists now.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If we could sort out the power generation in this country then we could greatly reduce the cost of electricity and all we'd really be paying for is the installation and maintenance of the infrastructure.

I know it's a dream, but eventually (maybe 50-100 years from now) we'll be able to generate all the power we need for as close to zero cost per kWh as you can get. We're already heading that way.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Greenenergyuk already do a tariff like this, only it's 5p pkwh at night.
I pay 7p/kWh and I'm on a no-standing-charge tariff (so overall unit rate is higher, but it is true pay-as-you-go), but I have PV so daytime I pay (and use) next to nothing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the deal was part of a future eV that is used as part of the grid to manage supply fluctuations at peak times I think free electricity is a small price to pay to overcome demand in the future for electricity?? I'd go for it. Smart energy is the future. It would solve the supply and demand issue, forget Nuclear let's all buy batteries on wheels and manage it with sustainables.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts