Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this question because there is now speculation of a 100 kWh battery for the 3 and Y and for us in the UK it seems a bit OTT.
I still haven't got myself a model 3 and hope come September 2021 the Y is available and completely irrationally I want a performance model and if a standard range performance model was available I would go for that.
I suppose I could change the question too Should all Tesla vehicles be AWD? but I'll leave it as set.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Elon confirmed no 100kWh battery for 3 or Y.

TBH, whatever you get, there will always be a situation where you could have done with a bit more range. For me, the M3P is about right, most of the time, but if I were to get a MY, it would be the LR.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
So long as it has a realistic range of about 200 miles and can charge fast enough, that should be fine for me. Even the vast majority of my "longer" trips are no more than about 15-160 miles, so a 200 mile range is sufficient. Quick-enough charging then deals with longer trips. e.g. see TeslaBjorn's 1000km challenge times - all of the Teslas are better than almost everything else (including the SR+).

Reactions: cah197

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Tesla are currently optimizing (I will leave USA spelling) models to maximize profits so we probably won't see cheaper Model Y derivatives for a while. I suspect they will do a Standard Range RWD in Berlin but we won't get it until 2022.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a daily 100 mile commute to work and back and my Model 3 Performance range is ample.
Charge between 40-80% approx. Always charge at home @ 8kW. :)

·
Leaf lover
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't recall hearing of owners of SR model 3 regretting not going for the LR because of range issues but I can imagine some wishing they had pushed the boat out further to have the performance. It's the difference between want and need.
So is the range of the SR perfectly adequate for the UK?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I don't recall hearing of owners of SR model 3 regretting not going for the LR because of range issues but I can imagine some wishing they had pushed the boat out further to have the performance. It's the difference between want and need.
So is the range of the SR perfectly adequate for the UK?
SR is perfect for the UK. Not had any regrets going for the SR+ having had it since Aug 2019 and doing over 15k miles pa (until the lockdown that is) including several longer trips dropping son to Uni in Exeter. It's also more efficient than the heavier LR version with more than adequate performance.
Also much cheaper to insure than the Performance version and without the low profile tyres which probably not great for UK roads riddled with pot holes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
@richardglover - another option is to look at the 3LR AWD with the acceleration boost (LR+) which is what I have, significantly lower cost than the Performance model, greater range and almost the same 0-60.

"...why is that, the P is 0-60 in 3.2sec but the LR is 4.4 & the LR+ is 3.9?"

Not quite, Tesla appears to measure performance figures throughout the range differently to help differentiate the higher cost cars.

The Performance 0-60 3.2 is measured with 1' rollout (ie already moving) whereas the standard LR 4.4 is measured from a standing start, as is LR+ at 3.9. The LR+ with the acceleration boost has been measured in the USA at or below 3.5 0-60 with the 1' rollout as with the P, so only slightly slower.

I love the acceleration of these cars but didn't need boy racers lining up against the Performance version. If things like a spoiler, red callipers, 20" tyres, lower suspension, track mode etc are important then the P is the car to go for. I didn't want those things, especially for the cost difference/no £3000 grant (was £3500 when I purchased) /higher insurance/ more expensive tyre replacements etc.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You have to look at your budget / finances and actual requirements.
The Tesla Model 3 LR is probably the best all-round choice if you can afford it with the 19" alloys.
I went for the Model 3 Performance as I like the extra bits and at the time the price difference was not as big it is now.
I bought mine before the price increases however if you look at the prices now, I would have probably gone for the LR :)
All 3 of the Tesla Model 3 versions are great cars and I would be happy with any of them. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts