Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
346 Posts
Nope, not going back. I'm hanging on to my current combination of cars (LEAF & Outlander) far longer than I have ever kept a car in the past (6 & 5 years respectively) until a suitable longer range pure EV becomes readily available. I can probably drop to 1 car without inconvenience sometime soon and anticipating either Tesla Model Y or VW ID4 type of vehicle would fit my needs.

The ICE loaners I get when having servicing seems so agricultural.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I recently asked my Renault dealer for a test drive of the new Clio RS while wife's Zoe was in for service, they gave me it for the day.
Looks great in and out but the road noise and lag on auto box soon made my mind up, ZE 50 Zoe on order ?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,950 Posts
I would if I needed to, yes.

But I don’t expect to need to, and I’m happy with the compromises I have to make around things like purchase cost and slower long distance journeys.

I still like cars of all sorts, I haven’t not become interested in the sound of a straight 5/6 or a V engine just because I now drive electric, but I’m also very interested in what Porsche are doing with the Taycan and the other established sports car makers electric plans.

I’m still not quite fully convinced that BEVs are going to completely take over the pitch, but for now I’m happy enough.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not unless I really had to, no.
Given the cost of buying an EV I could have got a heck of a used ICE but that still leaves the ecological downsides

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
I've been driving an EV since Feb 2014. Nearly 6 years. I don't want to go back to ICE.

I don't know what I'm going to do when we move to rural Montana. Running an EV will not be easy. I'm only aware of one public charge point in Flathead County.

The Nissan dealer in Kalispell has a single LEAF 40. No discount and it has been sitting in the showroom for at least 6 months. Nearest used EVs for sale are two states over in Washington.

It is 236 miles from Bigfork MT to the Tesla Service Center in Spokane. Model 3 SR+ is not going to make it in Winter. LR should be ok but I don't know if we could afford one.

Today's weather isn't too bad with temps just below freezing. Driving to/from Spokane WA in a M3 would be bad idea.

·
Registered
120 Posts
No, never go back. Driving the old Skoda Otavia with its sweet 1.4TSi engine and remarkably smooth DSG box still feels like I'm driving a tractor.
Had an overlap between getting my Zoe and end of lease on my Octavia, took the Octavia out once a week.... it was like getting into a museum exhibit by comparison: the noise, all the pedals, changing gears, all those dials (what do they even mean) :)

I do miss the space and it being AWD though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I feel this thread allows me to make a confession, in June my Soul goes back off lease and I'm buying a 10 year old 320d auto touring as a bridging car until I can find something that suits (it's a cheap deal off a mate - £1750, its done 150K miles and will be used on god knows how many tip runs as we reach the end of our house renovation). I expect to only keep it 6-12 months max, I may even have the upside of a diesel scrappage scheme on Euro 5's come this time next year to make it a bit of a cost neutral decision. It hasn't been an easy one to go back from full EV to part after 18 months, but needs must.

I would see an example like mine as one of the valid reasons you'd go back to ICE, but hopefully like me with the aim to jump back into EV ASAP!

I should add, I took the Bimeer for a test drive last week over to work, and my god the steering weight and the almost dangerous lack torque from low down took me a couple of junction pull aways to get used to, I was prepared for the tractor noise of the diesel but had forgotten how laggy ICE cars seem compared to even an old Leaf/ Soul.

Reactions: ElectricIan

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel this thread allows me to make a confession, in June my Soul goes back off lease and I'm buying a 10 year old 320d auto touring as a bridging car until I can find something that suits (it's a cheap deal off a mate - £1750, its done 150K miles and will be used on god knows how many tip runs as we reach the end of our house renovation). I expect to only keep it 6-12 months max, I may even have the upside of a diesel scrappage scheme on Euro 5's come this time next year to make it a bit of a cost neutral decision. It hasn't been an easy one to go back from full EV to part after 18 months, but needs must.

I would see an example like mine as one of the valid reasons you'd go back to ICE, but hopefully like me with the aim to jump back into EV ASAP!
TRAITOR!! :p :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do have an ICE car but it's an extreme one being stripped out for track etc.

Sounds great and ultimately is faster on paper but in any situation other than track my current EV is just quicker, quieter and definitely cheaper to run. I learned a lot of car related skills building it but I've mostly lost interest in it now and I'm only one upgrade away from making it obsolete even on track.

So no once that's gone I'll certainly try not to own an ICE car for the daily driving maybe ever.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,398 Posts
I've never left. V8 petrol auto is far more flexible than an EV at the moment due to poor charging infrastructure. Don't lose a third of the range because it's winter either. EV for in range trips. Petrol for the rest. When you can get a Model 3 performance for £20k then I might become all EV. Need to put smaller wheels on it though as the 20 inch ones wouldn't last 5 minutes on the roads where I am.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,398 Posts
I've been driving an EV since Feb 2014. Nearly 6 years. I don't want to go back to ICE.

I don't know what I'm going to do when we move to rural Montana. Running an EV will not be easy. I'm only aware of one public charge point in Flathead County.
Plug in hybrid would be the compromise. Or a big ass lazy V8 auto petrol in a Lexus that would probably be really quiet.

Can you get Outlanders there or the Ampera equivalent? Is there a chevy volt/bolt with a larger electric range and engine?

Leaf 40 would be a waste of time. It would barely do 100 highway miles in very cold weather so you'd be limited to a 40 mile radius of home for safety.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I too haven't left yet. The BEV is absolutely great for anywhere inside 50 or 60 miles as long as I'm not wanting to tow anything. The petrol V8 SC 4x4 is the nicest place to be on the road (full stop!) but especially on long journeys and when towing. The petrol track cars are the best to use - er - on track. The various diesels are best to use on groundcare (tractors/digger/chipper/etc). No need to compromise just yet...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have move from i3 to 225xe
I wouldn’t say I move back to ICE, as the i3 just rental from EVEZY, i3 is great little car.
I am only moving back to hybrid because there are no EV suit my taste that fit my budget
i3 is fun to drive, decent performance and very nicely build, but I do 40mile-ish each way with mostly A-Road, I need the 120 i3 which is expensive and out of my budget.
Other manufacturers that given such range do not offer the same performance, fun factor and premium interior design.
Tesla and I-pace would tick a lot of the box but out of budget.
The only thing I would miss from an ICE would be the noise it make from the in-line 6 engine and exhaust note
When a driver EV came out with reasonable price I would have swap without a second though

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
Plug in hybrid would be the compromise. Or a big ass lazy V8 auto petrol in a Lexus that would probably be really quiet.

Can you get Outlanders there or the Ampera equivalent? Is there a chevy volt/bolt with a larger electric range and engine?

Leaf 40 would be a waste of time. It would barely do 100 highway miles in very cold weather so you'd be limited to a 40 mile radius of home for safety.

That LEAF 40 is the only new EV for sale locally. The nearest Lexus dealer is in Spokane. If I'm going to deal with sales and service in Washington, I'd much rather have an AWD Tesla.

Mitsubishi are even farther away in Kennick Washington or Billings MT. The real problem is I'd driving well past the single charge range daily. On the other hand AWD and decent ground clearance are a big plus. A 2-wheel drive sedan is not a good all-year car there. Too much snow.

The Volt is discontinued. Not available new and there aren't any used ones for sale in the area. I don't trust the local dealer for service. GM still make the Bolt. At roughly the same price as a Model 3 I don't see any reason to buy one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts