Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

After owning an EV, will your next car be an ICE?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people believe that EVs are not yet a reliable alternative to an ICE. Now you've gone EV, would you ever go back to ICE? I realise there may be lots of caveats, but to keep it simple, I've put just 3 broad options and am inluding ALL electrified options.

·
1,551 Posts
Many people believe that EVs are not yet a reliable alternative to an ICE. Now you've gone EV, would you ever go back to ICE? I realise there may be lots of caveats, but to keep it simple, I've put just 3 broad options and am inluding ALL electrified options.
We run a hybrid garage... So, haven't gone 100% EV. We're closer to 90-95% EV with a Tesla Roadster, Tesla Model S, and a BMW X5. The X5 is fully paid for and is basically used as a spare to haul large things and to go to the local mountains when there is fresh snow. Unsure whether we'd go for a Model X because I prefer to carry my skis on top of the car and not inside the car or in a rear carrier.

EVs are very reliable.

Next car will also be an EV...

·
Registered
697 Posts
I said "maybe" - partly if I preferred an ICE model, but mainly if the costs were lower for an ICE. I am primarily driven (!) by total cost of ownership.

As a company car driver, it's not as simple as lease cost + fuel cost + running cost. You are taxed based on the emissions of the vehicle, and the list price of the car (before the £5k subsidy). The tax incentive for EV ownership is being phased out pretty quickly, so much so that it could make it cheaper for me to run an ICE A3 than the e-Tron. Time will tell.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have just sold my Ampera and we are replacing it with a diesel Qashqai. We still have the Nissan Leaf as our 2nd car so we haven't ditched EVs nor have we changed our minds over EVs. It is just that the Qashqai is more of the car we want. If there was an EV Qashqai, with a 300+ mile real-world range, at a similar price, we would have bought it.

It is all very well and admirable for us early adopters to buy cars just because they are EVs or PHEV models but it can be a huge compromise over what you actually would have bought if it was available as an EV and that must change. EVs won't start to be bought by the public at large until there is much more choice but that will come I am sure... it just takes time.

In the meantime, people will buy electric or not buy electric as they see fit for their lifestyle and wants. There is no shame in having an EV or PHEV, deciding that it isn't the right car for you and switching back to an ICE if the only car that appeals is an ICE.

I have had things said to me like "you have lost the faith" and "you have gone back to the dark side"... as if this is some kind of religion. It is not. Some of this is just banter but with a lot of people it feels like they mean it. Remember... it is just a car and I think that we early adopters all forget that from time to time. It is no wonder people have that view though. To own an EV today does require a degree of compromise for most people and so we do need some degree of faith that it will work out. We are spending a lot of money. But that is faith in the technology and faith that we can live with the compromises... not a religious faith in the way some people treat it. It is just a car. Don't forget that.

I won't buy an EV or PHEV on principle... it must be right for me or else I get something that is right and if that is an ICE then so be it. Over time there will be more EV choice, better range, faster charging and EVs will appeal to more people. Until then it is the early adopters adjusting their lives to fit the car instead of buying the car they would prefer. Nothing wrong with that but it won't work for the bulk of the public IMO.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Until then it is the early adopters adjusting their lives to fit the car instead of buying the car they would prefer.
I don't think that's true for all. Many of us are making (small) adjustments to driving and lifestyles to buy the car we'd prefer. Just as someone who loves convertibles or v12s or diesels or boxer engines or even motorbikes may end up with a different vehicle than if they went in unbiased, for me it's the same with EVs.

I want electric drive for lots of reasons, but first and foremost because I love the way the motors respond and drive. So just like the soft-top fan I'm limited in choice, but I'm still getting the car I want and I still have to make compromises. It's what motoring enthusiasts do (big IKEA trip in your Aston Martin V12 Vantage, I think not).

But as many folk here know, I've owned Minis and MINIs for years, because it was the car I wanted. 98% of the time it was a hoot but 2% of the time I had to hire a van or really think about packaging, but it's a compromise I made because I wanted a certain vehicle. Same with EVs (for me).

I don't want an ICE any more and I'll do what I can to avoid that happening. They're old and tired and I've been there and done that for more than half my life, it's time to have fun exploring the expanding world of EVs.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only disadvantage to me is that I can't get 3 in the back. That minor inconvenience is outweighed by all the advantages. One of the biggest advantages is that it has modified my driving style.

Maybe it's a fad, but for now it's also a mindset. Belching fumes just seems wrong and I do hope the grid gets increasingly cleaner. If my roof aspect was correct, I'd also go solar.

Reactions: PRO-AMPERA

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
No, it isn't true for all...

There are two groups of people buying EVs at the moment IMO... those were an EV fits their lifestyle and desires and those that are buying because it is an EV and all that means and making their life fit the car.

This is not digital and there are vaying combinations of each so if you are someone whose lifestyle mostly fits and you want to drive EV anyway then great - double goodie! I am sure there are a lot of those that are current EV owners.

However, I am not talking about us early adopters... with us it either fits our lifestyle or we have other reasons, often idealogical, for buying EVs. I am talking about the public generally.

If my roof aspect was correct, I'd also go solar.
Solar works with any roof orientation... even north. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Humm, well I seem to be going towards the fully EV mode. ATM I drive a Hybrid Prius and have had it for 4 years. I have ordered an Outlander PHEV, mainly because I like the elevated driving position, extended EV range & '4'wheel drive. I was looking at the Lexus 450 before the prius but it was too expensive, not free road tax & a few other things that put me off. I am waiting to see the spec on the Tesla X suv, that may be my next one in a few years time! If I can persuade hubby to agree. He has an S2000 and loves it, so I've got a long way to go before I get him to change to EV!
Also have PV solar already installed, so hopefully, in the summer anyway, will be able to charge for 'free' during the day.

·
Registered
396 Posts
No, it isn't true for all...

There are two groups of people buying EVs at the moment IMO... those were an EV fits their lifestyle and desires and those that are buying because it is an EV and all that means and making their life fit the car.

This is not digital and there are vaying combinations of each so if you are someone whose lifestyle mostly fits and you want to drive EV anyway then great - double goodie! I am sure there are a lot of those that are current EV owners.

However, I am not talking about us early adopters... with us it either fits our lifestyle or we have other reasons, often idealogical, for buying EVs. I am talking about the public generally.
I can't think a reason why I would want an ICE. They are a harmful habit I have quit, like cigarettes.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I can't think a reason why I would want an ICE. They are a harmful habit I have quit, like cigarettes.
That is a valid view but for me, and I suspect millions of others, that is not always the most important aspect of car ownership.

I want all cars to be electric but not at all costs :)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a valid view but for me, and I suspect millions of others, that is not always the most important aspect of car ownership.

I want all cars to be electric but not at all costs :)
Indeed so; everyone's opinion is valid and it may be that in 20 years time ICE drivers are viewed with the same 'how could you???' attitude as non smokers do to smokers - but for now EV drivers will remain in the minority.

Like the quote in the 'Who killed the electric car' video: Electric vehicles aren't for everyone....just 90% of drivers. This is even more so for Rex's and PHEVs.

Awareness is a big factor, but out of interest @Paul_Churchley what are the main reasons you are returning to ICE?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I've answered no. Although, I have changed my driving habits a bit. I actually drive my EV even more than I used to drive the diesel car that it replaced. I no longer feel guilty taking the car. So I now use it for some longer work commutes.
The downside is that I'm doing less miles on my bike and by train...

Reactions: kentish zoe

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm on my second EV after 7.5 years of being an EV driver. We still have a non-EV, but two drivers with two vehicles, one of which is an EV, works well for us. Actually 2 EVs would work work well for us most of the time. Holidays would be an issue.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It seemed so much of my time with an ICE revolved around making trips to include a fuelling run..having the wallbox at home for the Zoe feels like the missing piece of a puzzle has been found..Home charging just feels right...

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I've answered no. For me, driving a BEV is a more pleasurable way of getting around than using an ICE. It's the responsiveness of motor and regen. braking allied to the absence of noise, vibration and harshness. I can't imagine choosing to drive a car that's noisier and rougher. Shorter range with more frequent stops for recharging is a penalty I'm happy to incur – altogether less stressful.

Another point – when your journey mix is mostly short urban/suburban, stopping for petrol/diesel is a real time-waster that I don't miss.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've answered no. For me, driving a BEV is a more pleasurable way of getting around than using an ICE. It's the responsiveness of motor and regen. braking allied to the absence of noise, vibration and harshness. I can't imagine choosing to drive a car that's noisier and rougher. Shorter range with more frequent stops for recharging is a penalty I'm happy to incur – altogether less stressful.

Another point – when your journey mix is mostly short urban/suburban, stopping for petrol/diesel is a real time-waster that I don't miss.
I agree. The Ampera is not just a car. It brings another dimension to driving like managing the battery usage. An ev also has the effect of making us safer drivers most of the time, at least that is my experience of driving one. I find it much more interesting than driving an ICE car. Except you do not have the excitement of " will it start" on cold mornings.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow...not a single person that is disillusioned with EVs. I realise there's an element of 'preaching to the converted' here....but many a press release is sent out with more dubious research methodolgy than this.

As @Geoff says, it's a whole new driving experience for me too. Having come from a real 'drivers' car, I'm still happy with my decision and looking forward to more EVs in the future. I really can't imagine going back to an ICE for all the reasons mentioned above. Who knows...I may even be able to go totally BEV and throw away the rex safety net.....but that's for another poll;).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm really impressed with my Nissan Leaf. The infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired - still - but the improvements have been dramatic in my six months' Leaf ownership. I definitely went to the wrong dealer, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts