Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you rent out your home charge point to sell electricity to EV owners?

• No; the charge point is mine, I don't like to share or I don't need it.

• Yes; as long as I am paid for the electricity used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As EV owner you have two key roles, 1. you are a driver of your EV, 2. and the owner of your home/residential charge point. I have a question related to both your roles:

- As EV driver, would you use residential charge points to charge your EV?
- As Residential Charge Point owners, would you rent out your charge point and sell electricity to EV owners?

Very interested in your view on this one!
Cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't as I don't have a usual routine so can be back at any time and my car is put onto charge if I'm there. Also I would lose my parking space which is a pain.
Hi Dblock,

Thanks Dblock.
I think my point was, if you had the opportunity, so no problem with charging your car or parking space, would you rent out your charge point?
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It depends where you are, and your own circumstances.

If I had room to easily park two cars within reach of my chargepoint, and could be reimbursed for electricity (even something as simple as an honesty box and a visible meter), and I was in a location with inadequate public charging infrastructure, I wouldn't hesitate.

The poll should probably also have 'Yes, and I don't care about the electricity used', which would be more suitable for business owners wanting to attract custom to their premises.

Personally, I don't have sufficient parking for random people to be blocking my driveway at home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends where you are, and your own circumstances.

If I had room to easily park two cars within reach of my chargepoint, and could be reimbursed for electricity (even something as simple as an honesty box and a visible meter), and I was in a location with inadequate public charging infrastructure, I wouldn't hesitate.

The poll should probably also have 'Yes, and I don't care about the electricity used', which would be more suitable for business owners wanting to attract custom to their premises.

Personally, I don't have sufficient parking for random people to be blocking my driveway at home.
Thanks Simon!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I suppose its a possibility, I'm hoping to have an EV within the next couple of months and will have a home charge point.
Something I haven't worked out yet is home much the electricity will cost

·
Registered
241 Posts
My home charger is on plugshare, and I don't require anyone to reimburse me the couple of quid a charge would cost. In 6 months, I've had one person choose to use it.

I'm not sure how to answer your poll. I wouldn't rent it out, but I'm happy for other EV drivers to use it occasionally.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't really understand the premise of this question.

If you are asking whether I'd rent out my chargepoint on an occasional basis to an EV owner who was in need, then the answer is "no, I would let them charge for free".

And if you are asking whether I'd enter into a regular arrangement with another EV owner for them to charge their car at my charge point then actually that's renting a parking space (which there are websites for) which is a completely different thing.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'm on Plugshare too and quite happy for it to be used. If I'm not around then it isn't available though. The only request I've had to use it was while I was not around!
If I'm out and about and need an emergency charge I'd see if someone was offering via Plugshare, or how else would you know about it? I've never had to do this though.
As to a regular arrangement it would depend on the circumstances so not cut and dried enough to cast a vote. Sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.