Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through work I have an opportunity to get a Leaf on lease and fully loaded would be £70 cheaper per month than any other comparable car , Niro, kona , ioniq etc. Even the Honda e.
With a plan to have home charging I think the leaf might be an real option. Ok it still has chademo, but the rest of the car technology seems well proven. I love the look of the citroen but again it would be more expensive for a similar if not lower spec.I would welcome your comments.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
Not a lot wrong with the Leaf. My daughter has one and even as an EV driver (now on third) I was impressed how extremely quiet it was. They have become slightly unpopular due to the rapidgate overheating, but if you don't need to make more than one, maybe two, rapids charges it's not a problem. Also, it may been seen at older technology, but again, if your not one of those who must have the latest, it's not a problem. That maybe why you're getting a good deal. You can spend those savings elsewhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. one of the reasons for looking at the Leaf is the Park Assist.
Would you have any experience of it?
My wife is new driver and parking is not easy so it would be a nice feature to have. Other cars have the park assist but it seem most of them require some kind of gear changing or use of accelerator/brake. I am surprised it doesn't seem to be on any of the Hyundai or Kia cars in any form.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Park assists are crap anyway, take for ever to actually park and you need to pass by the space pretty slow for any cameras to pick it up and assess. Get a leaf with 360 degrees, front and rear cameras and parking sensors and you'll have no problem. Got a 2018 Leaf 40kw, love it and wouldn't go back to ICE cars if I can help it. Depends on your price range, daily commute and what else you need the car for but if you are doing sub 100 miles a day, I would go for a Leaf. Apparently there was a software update to resolve "rapidgate", I drove from Central Scotland to Isle of Skye in August, DC charged twice and the second charge was no slower so it might be true......

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,498 Posts
Lease, yes.
Buying for long term ownership. no.

Problem with other EV's apart from Tesla is due to lack of easily accessible multi-stall chargers at trunk road services. That problem will be solved in due course, and when that happens, long distance driving in EV will become a breeze. But before then, Leaf and all other non-Tesla EV's will be mostly local vehicles, so Chademo or rapidgate won't matter.

That's just my opinion, I hate the feeling when driving to a single or two stall rapid charger. I'm sure there are die hard EV trip planners out there who disagree with my view of current rapid charging infrastructure. I just want Tesla supercharger level of integration and, more importantly, stall numbers per location, before I'd consider the infrastructure to be good enough to do family road trips in any EV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lease, yes.

Problem with other EV's apart from Tesla is due to lack of easily accessible multi-stall chargers at trunk road services. That problem will be solved in due course, and when that happens, long distance driving in EV will become a breeze. But before then, Leaf and all other non-Tesla EV's will be mostly local vehicles, so Chademo or rapidgate won't matter.

That's just my opinion, I hate the feeling when driving to a single or two stall rapid charger. I'm sure there are die hard EV trip planners out there who disagree with my view of current rapid charging infrastructure. I just want Tesla supercharger level of integration and, more importantly, stall numbers per location, before I'd consider the infrastructure to be good enough to do family road trips in any EV.
Yea I agree, BP are building a few chargers with EcoTricity but I agree, there's not enough motorway/main road multi-stall chargers. Also, too many different providers and cards required, it would be good if there was a generic card you could use at all of them instead of one for each. Zap-map is good for narrowing down chargers for the provider you need. I did end up at a charger with a taxi on a rapid charger at 83% and spent 30 minutes getting to 92% so things like this does not help with convincing others to go electric

·
Registered
VW eGolf
313 Posts
Lease, yes.

I'd agree with this. CCS is the future dominant standard and Leaf battery issues aren't great but I'd happily lease one for a few years.

The big downside today is that you don't have the option of using CCS-only Ionity chargers (13 sites and growing) - whatever you think about 69p/kWh it's a nice option to have for motorway services charging just in case ecotricity ones are broken or busy. And future expansion of existing sites is likely to be a lot more CCS than chademo, in line with new car sales. Mostly issues for a few years time - it'd be a worry if you were planning to buy and run it into the ground over 10+ years, not so much in the shorter term.

·
Registered
154 Posts
@ghostbusters , I've been a 62 Leaf owner since June (bought rather than lease or PCP, no regrets). Been very pleased although of course, that's not that long to comment on such as degradation, though none noticed certainly. The car doesn't feel like old tech, drives well has handled occasional road trips just fine and importantly, my wife wants one too when she trades in her diesel.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd seriously look at the MG5 over the Leaf. It has nearly 50% greater real-world range at higher speeds and a fair bit more space. A lot more car for the money. I drove a Leaf 40 extensively but I think the MG5 is a much better overall package.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Thank you. one of the reasons for looking at the Leaf is the Park Assist.
Would you have any experience of it?
My wife is new driver and parking is not easy so it would be a nice feature to have. Other cars have the park assist but it seem most of them require some kind of gear changing or use of accelerator/brake. I am surprised it doesn't seem to be on any of the Hyundai or Kia cars in any form.
I tried the Leaf park assist. Very good, no intervention required - one advantage is that it isn’t reliant on space detection. You can literally drag a square anywhere and say “park there”. On the flip side, auto detection of parallel spaces is not as good as the Honda E.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
625 Posts
I would definitely buy another Leaf today, I’ve driven one 6000 miles now in 5 months and it’s been flawless.

Nissan have had a decade to shake all the bugs out, you only have to look at the VW ID3 threads on here and all the software issues they are having to see that VW have basically released an unfinished car and are using their first owners who have parted with serious cash as “beta testers”!

I have had 4 cars with park assist, it doesn’t work properly on any of them, it’s slow, clunky and sometimes downright scary to use.

As mentioned the leafs 360 camera system is great and makes parking easy.

As far as I’m aware rapid-gate was fixed by a software release over 18 months ago, I have never had a speed issue rapid charging my Leaf.

If it’s a lease car and you only plan on keeping it a couple of years, go for it they are a throughly nice car and in 2 years you will be spoilt for choice with lots more proven and more mature EVs like the ID3 which by then I’m sure will also be trouble free.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Bought a LEAF24 back in 2014. It got written off by a 3rd party in 2016, when we got a LEAF30. bought as ex-demo from dealers cash, at a year old both times and would definitely buy again. It’s still the best in my opinion for around 12-14k which is my budget for a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
The Leaf 40 charging speed generally I found to be poor. Mine was usually about 40kw and 36kw most of the time it was plugged in. Far short of what I was expecting and far short of the Soul EV that would be pulling 45kw+ Over all Leaf was no quicker to go anywhere than the Zoe 40 I had before that charged at 22kw but did about 40 miles per charge greater in Summer and about 30 in winter.

MG has no remote pre heat and no timed charging either so that would rule it out for me. Leaf also has decent LED headlights.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Its getting a bit tired compared to the competition and I moved away..
On one hand you could say they have had 10 years to iron on all the bugs, but on the other hand you can say WTF its 10 years old and its essentially still the same car with some lipstick on.

Sure, the bigger battery and more powerful inverter put in are a step forward, but aside from expensive self driving gubbins its the same and now it has no sun glasses holder!.... but £70 a month is decent amount to save and would put if firmly back on my shopping list.

As suggested, do look at the MGs though, also the cheap deals thread has two good deals on that the moment.

The small Seat wont have all the self park gubbins, but its small and will no doubt fit into spaces the Leaf would not and might be less intimidating to drive for a new driver.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I’ve never had a problem driving distances in my Zoe when an en-route charge is needed. Fare enough max charge is 45-50kWh but considering the average mileage is 200-210 with 100% a stop would be needed anyway.

To slag off other EVs is not really that good is it, unless you’ve driven all of theml for a period of time obviously.

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
146 Posts
Would I still buy a Leaf today? Yes, but only as a local runabout car where the range and rapid charging limitations are not a problem.

We've currently kept our 24kWh Leaf which is perfect for commuting and local shopping etc, but replaced our main car with a Tesla model 3 SR+. A stretch financially, but with the battery and supercharger network it seems the best option for occasional longer trips (once lockdown allows). If this new working from home working life continues, we'll probably sell the Leaf.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,498 Posts
I’ve never had a problem driving distances in my Zoe when an en-route charge is needed. Fare enough max charge is 45-50kWh but considering the average mileage is 200-210 with 100% a stop would be needed anyway.

To slag off other EVs is not really that good is it, unless you’ve driven all of theml for a period of time obviously.
I’m not slagging off any EV, I’m pointing out 2 things:
1. Leaf Chademo may be an issue if you want to keep the car long term.
2. Current trunk road rapid charging infrastructure at services is not reliable enough. Required planning (plan B) and luck to charge quickly (no queue).

The unreliable nature is not something I want to deal with when travelling with anyone other than alone. Especially not with young children when planned stops is often unrealistic.

I’m happy for your adventures. I’ve done the same in my Leaf when occasionally travelling alone over the 3+ years of ownership. But my experience over that time is that the infrastructure is just not there, yet, to allow EV to truly replace ICE cars, especially in terms of just jump in and drive to anywhere.

Tesla is closest, from the speed 8+ charging hubs appearing...... for other cars, the speed of new charging hubs appearing feels slower despite having bigger market....... at least that’s what I’ve seen over last 2 years. One is actively building according to its cars sold, the other feels like waiting on external funding. Ionity is being built, but often only 4 stalls?! They are supposed to be well (?) funded by many established manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts