Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you support legalisation of e-scooters in UK?

• Yes

Votes: 68 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 4.2%
701 - 720 of 769 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
Wish we had those sort of initiatives around here, especially those aimed at making cycling safer. Road policing here seems to be almost non-existent, so much so that I can't remember the last time I saw a marked police car anywhere near here.
I am moving in 😁

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
😋
Wrong. The UK legislation that allows them in trials includes Annex A which specifies the performance and quality of the design.

Wrong again. There are international standards applied to electrically assisted bicycles that MUST be complied with to be sold within the UK and EU. Only toy standards apply to electric scooters.

I worded my statement carefully. Whilst there are standards relating to how much power can be used and how it is controlled for both pedalecs and e-scooters, neither have to pass any tests on longevity or key factors such as weight capacity, braking performance, tyre design, lighting performance, etc. Of course the same applies to shoes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
😋

I worded my statement carefully. Whilst there are standards relating to how much power can be used and how it is controlled for both pedalecs and e-scooters, neither have to pass any tests on longevity or key factors such as weight capacity, braking performance, tyre design, lighting performance, etc. Of course the same applies to shoes. :rolleyes:
Nope, wrong again.

A quick google gets you mostly around buying the BS standard.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Nope, wrong again.

ATG Training
An EAPC doesn’t have to be a bicycle…
b) for “bicycles and tricycles”, substitute “pedal cycles with two or more wheels”.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I went ahead and ordered a set of pads… they actually sell them as accessories at the same place I bought my scooter ( The best folding electric scooters for sale. For commute & play! ) will probably use these for longer rides (more than a couple blocks) or If I want to ride in the 1000w mode with max acceleration since in some cases the torque can exceed the traction of the tires. Had I been wearing these I would have avoided all my injuries sustained when I recently crashed from turning while accelerating in the high power mode (road rash was sustained to both hands, both knees and both elbows). Wearing these may seem silly but can avoid a trip to the ER and potentially weeks of recovery time.

These will obviously be used in addition to the helmet I was already using…

There’s plenty of space to store them in my food carrying backpack when I arrive at the destination…

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
London’s escooter rentals are expected to eliminate 14000 car trips per day in London…

“there will be nearly 80,000 rides per day on e-scooters and over 29 million a year. According to data from TIER’s own consumer research, 17.3% of trips taken on rental e-scooters replace car journeys. When applying this to London, TIER calculates that 4.9 million car journeys can be replaced by e-scooters every year.”

“TIER also assessed the potential CO2 reduction [1] if all one-mile car trips in London [2] were replaced by rental e-scooter trips. This modal shift would see a 233-tonne daily reduction in CO2 emissions. To put this figure into context that is the same amount of CO2 released by 240 return flights from London to New York [3].”

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It's all very well for a scooter rental company to state 4.9 million car journeys can be replaced by e-scooters. It's far more likely that very few will switch.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Imagine how many more emissions could have been produced if they'd actually designed and manufactured to a safety standard in the first place.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
There’s a lot of people who will ride the scooters instead of calling an Uber or taxi.

You will get a lot more people using them for most daily errands once they can be privately owned legally.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Maybes in the USA and large cities like London, but I don't see them taking preference over other transport means in my provincial city. Sure, they are about, but predominantly it's feral youth dealing drugs rather than hipsters wanting to save the planet.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
Nope, wrong again.

Dangerous thing "A quick google". ;) There are a lot of British Standards relating to bikes (not those out of date ones) and these are required under UK law which is The Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2010 (possibly replaced post BREXIT) but there are a significant number of exemptions to them. But I accept your point - there is a lot more for bikes than scooters.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Maybes in the USA and large cities like London, but I don't see them taking preference over other transport means in my provincial city. Sure, they are about, but predominantly it's feral youth dealing drugs rather than hipsters wanting to save the planet.
Yep, all seems to be kids with no safety gear being a serious nusance on the bloody things. Scooters are fundamentally dangerous with their small wheels on UK roads and I simply can't see them becoming mainstream. Hell, if cost/speed was a factor we'd all be on motorbikes...

Reactions: Tigga

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Dangerous thing "A quick google". ;) There are a lot of British Standards relating to bikes (not those out of date ones) and these are required under UK law which is The Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2010 (possibly replaced post BREXIT) but there are a significant number of exemptions to them. But I accept your point - there is a lot more for bikes than scooters.
A quick google was to provide you free access to some insight. The actual standards require payment to BSI. I can't provide them to you for free.

What you've linked to is not the standards required of bicycles, but the law. They're different things, and you're clearly way out of your depth if you don't realise that.

Feel free to pay BSI.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm not sure TFL will be happy with lots of people carrying scooters on the tube with all of those lithium batteries of dubious origins.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
They’re realistically expecting 80000 rides a day through the London rental scheme. That number would be a lot higher if they were legalized for private ownership.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
A quick google was to provide you free access to some insight. The actual standards require payment to BSI. I can't provide them to you for free.

What you've linked to is not the standards required of bicycles, but the law. They're different things, and you're clearly way out of your depth if you don't realise that.

Feel free to pay BSI.

The existence of a standard doesn't mean that it is enforced - laws are required for that. If you want to read out of date standards then that is up to you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I just added up how much it would cost me if I was using Uber to get around. Suppose I was addicted to taco bell for takeout food and went there once a day and to work off those calories I also went to the gym once a day. This is close to my actual routine, I usually get takeout once a day and go to the gym once a day.

Going to taco bell in an Uber would cost about $7 each way, that’s about $14. Going to the gym would be about $8.50 each way, or $17 total. That routine would cost me $31 a day, which would add up to $11315 a year. My scooter costed $1200 or 1/10th the price and would save 1460 car trips per year under these assumptions.

701 - 720 of 769 Posts