Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you support legalisation of e-scooters in UK?

• Yes

Votes: 68 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 4.2%
721 - 740 of 769 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
I just added up how much it would cost me if I was using Uber to get around. Suppose I was addicted to taco bell for takeout food and went there once a day and to work off those calories I also went to the gym once a day. This is close to my actual routine, I usually get takeout once a day and go to the gym once a day.

Going to taco bell in an Uber would cost about $7 each way, that’s about $14. Going to the gym would be about $8.50 each way, or $17 total. That routine would cost me $31 a day, which would add up to $11315 a year. My scooter costed $1200 or 1/10th the price and would save 1460 car trips per year under these assumptions.
Why not combine the exercise and collecting your food in one and run there and back again? That would cost you nothing and save you considerable time. :unsure: :devilish:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Why not combine the exercise and collecting your food in one and run their and back again? That would cost you nothing and save you considerable time. :unsure: :devilish:
Because I like swimming laps, and the 2 places are in opposite directions. It’s 1.2 miles to taco bell (2.4 miles round trip) and 2.6 miles to the gym (5.2 miles round trip).

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
They’re realistically expecting 80000 rides a day through the London rental scheme. That number would be a lot higher if they were legalized for private ownership.
80000 riders a day on busy London roads... :ROFLMAO:🍿

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Pedal cycles can have 2 or more wheels under EAPC law. 4 wheels? That’s a pedal cycle too. 5 wheels? Pedal cycle.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
They’re realistically expecting 80000 rides a day through the London rental scheme. That number would be a lot higher if they were legalized for private ownership.
No, they're unrealistically expecting 80,000 rides a day. It just isn't going to happen here in the UK. Not with the mindset of the majority of the population.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
1,929 Posts
A teenage e-scooter rider has died in hospital after he was injured in a crash with a car.
E-scooter rider dies after crash with car in Portsmouth

Councillor Lynne Stagg, member for traffic and transportation, said: "I am deeply saddened to hear of the tragic death of a private e-scooter rider and want to extend my sincere condolences to their friends and family."

Yet another family that have lost a loved one.
How can they make this legal?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
How can they make this legal?
…flawed logic considering the hundreds of pedestrians killed per year by cars… not to mention he was killed by the car, not the inherent danger of the scooter itself. more needs to be done to protect small personal vehicles from automobiles and it’s well known that cycling lanes achieves this. it’s a pity it even needs to be mentioned that his scooter was “private” as the outcome would have been the same on a rental. it’s victim blaming, like blaming a woman for being raped because she wore “provocative” attire.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The street of the accident…. the city council deserves partial responsibility for not implementing a safe road plan including bike lanes…. take out the government subsidized street parking on both sides of the street and put in a bike lane for goodness sake. we’re talking about human lives here.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
…flawed logic considering the hundreds of pedestrians killed per year by cars… not to mention he was killed by the car, not the inherent danger of the scooter itself. more needs to be done to protect small personal vehicles from automobiles and it’s well known that cycling lanes achieves this. it’s a pity it even needs to be mentioned that his scooter was “private” as the outcome would have been the same on a rental. it’s victim blaming, like blaming a woman for being raped because she wore “provocative” attire.
How come you know more about the incident than the police?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Feel free to read the article....
I did. Yet you said:

"not to mention he was killed by the car, not the inherent danger of the scooter itself"

We don't know that. The car could have been parked, static, within it's own lane. It could have been a failure of the scooter to stop, unintended acceleration, or loss of control.

The driver hasn't been arrested, nor have the police concluded any investigation.

And the privately owned scooters may or may not conform to the legal standards required of a hire scooter. As you know.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
306 Posts
That road has a 20mph limit, as it wasn't part of Portsmouth's scheme then it was an illegal scooter, no mention of whether a helmet or any other protective gear was being worn. I came across two youngsters riding on a single scooter on that road the other day, no protective gear being worn.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
replacing the subsidized parking with a bike lane addresses the safety issue present when the scooter is rented and operated legally, or the victim is on a bicycle, or EAPC.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
replacing the subsidized parking with a bike lane addresses the safety issue present when the scooter is rented and operated legally, or the victim is on a bicycle, or EAPC.
You don't even know what the safety issue is and your best suggestion is a painted line on the ground whilst removing parking for people that might very much need it for their own jobs and personal mobility.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I don’t think it’s enshrined in your Bill of Rights that citizens can store their private machines on public land.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I received my full set of protective gear a couple days ago (wrist guards, knee pads, elbow pads to supplement the helmet I already used).

I have to say I was doubtful as I removed them from the packaging that I would be willing to use them day to day due to convenience and comfort considerations.

Honestly as I put them on initially I felt they were bulky and uncomfortable, and took extra time to affix them to knees, elbows and wrists.

My doubts were put aside, however, after I started riding with them. They were barely noticeable once I was in motion and the thought of having the protection they afford in the event I mis-judge a turn or hit an unexpected bump in the road was indispensable.

Previously when I misjudged a turn and the torque of my power setting, I received road rash to both knees, elbows and hands, and one knee became infected requiring a trip to the ER for assessment and antibiotics.

So I wouldn’t drive my car without wearing a seatbelt, and I certainly wouldn’t ride my scooter more than a couple of blocks without a full set of safety gear (wrist guards, knee pads, elbow pads and helmet).

721 - 740 of 769 Posts