Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you support legalisation of e-scooters in UK?

• Yes

Votes: 68 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 4.2%
741 - 760 of 769 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I received my full set of protective gear a couple days ago (wrist guards, knee pads, elbow pads to supplement the helmet I already used).

I have to say I was doubtful as I removed them from the packaging that I would be willing to use them day to day due to convenience and comfort considerations.

Honestly as I put them on initially I felt they were bulky and uncomfortable, and took extra time to affix them to knees, elbows and wrists.

My doubts were put aside, however, after I started riding with them. They were barely noticeable once I was in motion and the thought of having the protection they afford in the event I mis-judge a turn or hit an unexpected bump in the road was indispensable.

Previously when I misjudged a turn and the torque of my power setting, I received road rash to both knees, elbows and hands, and one knee became infected requiring a trip to the ER for assessment and antibiotics.

So I wouldn’t drive my car without wearing a seatbelt, and I certainly wouldn’t ride my scooter more than a couple of blocks without a full set of safety gear (wrist guards, knee pads, elbow pads and helmet).

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
1,928 Posts
A three-year-old girl has been left with "life-changing" injuries from a collision with an e-scooter in south London.
She was in Myatt's Field Park, Lambeth, with her family when she was struck at about 20.30 BST on Monday, police said.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #744 ·
A three-year-old girl has been left with "life-changing" injuries from a collision with an e-scooter in south London.
She was in Myatt's Field Park, Lambeth, with her family when she was struck at about 20.30 BST on Monday, police said.
Just an example.

I'm not quite sure why people keep posting examples of accidents with e-scooters.
Personally I'd rather be hit by a scooter than a car any day.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,287 Posts
Just an example.

I'm not quite sure why people keep posting examples of accidents with e-scooters.
Maybe they are concerned about the likely improbability of getting financial remedy/compensation in the case of an uninsured vehicle?

Combined with the elevated probability of meeting this sort of uninsured vehicle where pedestrians are?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Just an example.

I think the issue is that this accident happened in a pedestrian area within a public park, where the use of motor vehicles (and at the moment that includes electric scooters) are prohibited. It seems reasonable for people to think that a young child would be safe in such a park area, and not be at risk from being hit by a motor vehicle being ridden illegally.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
643 Posts
Just an example.

Because it's a motorised vehicle being used in a park, where little kids should be safe. Three year olds don't generally go and play in or near a road.
It's creating a ridiculous situation where large children without any skills are getting away with riding these things round parks. I can't understand why it isn't being clamped down on properly.
I'd rather be hit by a moped than a car too, but if underage and unlicenced kids (or anyone for that matter) were riding motorbikes around a park, the police would absolutely be clamping down on it.
I'd rather these weren't in safe spaces at all.

Reactions: Jeremy Harris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because it's a motorised vehicle being used in a park, where little kids should be safe. Three year olds don't generally go and play in or near a road.
It's creating a ridiculous situation where large children without any skills are getting away with riding these things round parks. I can't understand why it isn't being clamped down on properly.
I'd rather be hit by a moped than a car too, but if underage and unlicenced kids (or anyone for that matter) were riding motorbikes around a park, the police would absolutely be clamping down on it.
I'd rather these weren't in safe spaces at all.
Add to that horses ridden by kids staring at there mobile phones, drone users, skate boards, hover boards, joggers with prams and anyone in charge of themselves wearing earphones not paying attention. Or allow the use of cattle prods. b-t-w, what would Catweasle make of all this? ;)

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
643 Posts
Add to that horses ridden by kids staring at there mobile phones, drone users, skate boards, hover boards, joggers with prams and anyone in charge of themselves wearing earphones not paying attention. Or allow the use of cattle prods. b-t-w, what would Catweasle make of all this? ;)
But none of those are creating a problem, certainly not round my way.
And joggers with prams? Seriously?
I can't understand why these are even tolerated in our public spaces, there is no difference between these and yobs on mopeds. Other than the noise.
I've also seen kids with (obviously illegal) ebikes, spinning donuts in our local park. What fantastic parents are getting these for their kids is probably a more worrying issue.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Whose fault is it if a child runs across a bicycle path in a park without parental supervision (darting in front of a cyclist) and cyclist has no time to respond and stops to say sorry, even though the cyclist is now injured and bicycle damaged? In California escooters can go anywhere bicycles can go. I think the cyclist can sue the parents for damages. Shouldn't you need insurance if you're going to let your children run across bicycle paths unattended? I hear a neck injury is worth around $300,000 with the right attorney.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Whose fault is it if a child runs across a bicycle path in a park without parental supervision (darting in front of a cyclist) and cyclist has no time to respond and stops to say sorry, even though the cyclist is now injured and bicycle damaged? In California escooters can go anywhere bicycles can go. I think the cyclist can sue the parents for damages. Shouldn't you need insurance if you're going to let your children run across bicycle paths unattended? I hear a neck injury is worth around $300,000 with the right attorney.

This child was not injured on a cycle path. She was injured in a park, within a pedestrian area.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
A cycle path through a park is a pedestrian area, but if a child jumps in front of a bicycle from the side of the cycle path injuring the cyclist, I think the parents would be liable for negligence. It’s no different from opening a car door in front of a cyclist, or your dog biting someone when you let it off leash. Even though a car has a right to open its door when it’s in a parking spot, you can’t do it when it would cause a collision from the cyclist having insufficient time to react, because you’ll be found liable, even if you weren’t intending to hurt the cyclist, because it’s negligence.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
A cycle path is a pedestrian area, but if a child jumps in front of a bicycle from the side injuring the cyclist, I think the parents would be liable. It’s no different from opening a car door in front of a cyclist. Even though the car has a right to open its door, you can’t do it when it would cause a collision from the cyclist having insufficient time to react.

Once again, THIS WAS NOT A CYCLE PATH.

·
30,287 Posts
A cycle path through a park is a pedestrian area, but if a child jumps in front of a bicycle from the side of the cycle path injuring the cyclist, I think the parents would be liable for negligence. It’s no different from opening a car door in front of a cyclist, or your dog biting someone when you let it off leash. Even though a car has a right to open its door when it’s in a parking spot, you can’t do it when it would cause a collision from the cyclist having insufficient time to react, because you’ll be found liable, even if you weren’t intending to hurt the cyclist, because it’s negligence.
Your use of language, 'jumps', 'darts', sounds to me much like the work of a police officer trying to explain the false arrest/malicious prosecution.

Even if there was a cycle path, a small child running full speed for it should not be a hazard to an alert cyclist who should be aware of risk and dangers ahead and moderate their speed accordingly to accommodate the unexpected.

Riding head long into a child 'just because I had right of way' is a sense of privilege that is beyond contemptible.

A child loitering by the side of such a path waiting to 'jump' again should be spotted by the attentive cyclist, to the point where they would demount and walk their bike past.

Anything less is .... negligence ...

Besides, I've tried to warn my kids about the sorts of hazards they might face in life. In this case, I have warned them about cyclopaths. Never cross a cyclopath, keep away from them.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
Largely without success:
Tactics police are using to tackle scrambler yobs causing misery
The disruption comes as part of ‘Operation Brookdale’ which was originally introduced in 2012 as a response to a rise in scrambler bike incidents.
Woman, 26, dies after being hit by scrambler bike
So that's clearly not working then.

The issue isn't the potentially legal use of e-scooters if they are allowed, but the current illegal use of lots of forms of motorised transport, often in areas where it shouldn't be used at all.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The most useful scooter accessory is a bicycle bell. I ring mine 2-3 times any time I'm within 100 feet of a pedestrian on a cycle path.

·
30,287 Posts
…not an accessory…
I mean, something to use if you see pedestrians up ahead.

Or are you one of these 'I am entitled' sort of people who'd prefer to run over/get run over just to enforce 'your right of way'.

Use the bell = I can see risk ahead, get out of my way, here I come, the risk is yours
Use the brake = I can see risk ahead, I am going to treat you with respect, I am going to reduce that risk for all of us

.. oh, yeah, now I remember, you are exactly that sort of person.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I mean, something to use if you see pedestrians up ahead.

Or are you one of these 'I am entitled' sort of people who'd prefer to run over/get run over just to enforce 'your right of way'.

.. oh, yeah, now I remember, you are exactly that sort of person.

The thing is, the scooter is dead silent, so if I’m approaching from behind them, unless I ring the bell, they don’t have the slightest clue i’m there til I pass.

Often with a ding or two people will wave and smile or thank me for warning them, but if I don’t ring they can scream because they didn’t hear the approach.

Since it uses hub motors, there’s no belts or gears that make any noise so it’s completely silent except when the suspension moves or you might hear the brake pads on the rotors if I’m braking hard.

Most people in my observation seem to prefer to hear “ding ding” before a scooter passes from behind.

741 - 760 of 769 Posts